Thread: Tom T. Hall

Tom T. Hall

Anyone here into this country singer/songwriter. His "children's" record Songs Of Fox Hollow was one of the first albums I ever owned, when I was little. Lots of great, fun songs, and it came with a lyric booklet with artwork illustrating each song. I'm not sure what happened to the LP, I think when I got older and my mom decided I had "outgrown" a children's record, she loaned it to someone and never got it back or something like that.

So I finally got the CD, which inexplicably has different artwork and is now called Country Songs For Children (and unfortunately loses most of the artwork in the booklet), and it's a real joy hearing these songs again for the first time in probably about 30 years (maybe even longer). My favorites are The Mysterious Fox Of Fox Hollow, The Barn Dance and How Do You Talk To A Little Baby Goat.

Anyway, it occurs to me that beyond that one album, and one other song (Harper Valley PTA, which he wrote) I don't think I've ever really heard much of his work. Anyone know what else is worth checking out?

Wish I could expound on Tom T. Hall. He's one of the few of what I would call the first-tier country performers that I really don't know much about. I've gotten more and more into country the last couple of decades, thanks to the Byrds and the Burritos. Most of what passes for country today is pop pablum. Thanks for bringing up Tom's name; I owe it to myself to investigate.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Suspended
    I remember Tom T Hall had several quite sizeable hits over here, in quick succession, then seemed to fade from the airwaves as quickly as he arrived. "Pamela Brown" comes to mind, "Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine", and some other song about liking beer.

I didn't mind hearing him, though it's not a style of music that I buy to have on hand.

I never knew he wwrote Harper Valley PTA.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    One of those storytellers like Hoyt Axton whose one or two hits trivialize how underappreciated they really are within their own genre.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Not familiar with all his songs, but everybody needs to hear "I Like Beer."
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973