Thread: New Led Zeppelin remasters

New Led Zeppelin remasters

Didn't see an existing thread on this, so figured I'd start up a new one. Hearing a lot about the recent Jimmy Page remasters that have been coming out-first 3 albums released in these new formats over the last year, and 4 & Houses of the Holy just came out. I have yet to investigate any of these (currently I have all the mid 90s remasters) but all the positive stuff I have been reading about the sound quality, bonus material, and packaging has me intrigued. Not that I'm unhappy with the 90s versions I have, but the packaging on those are nothing to get excited about, and some of the reviews I've read makes it seem like the sound quality of the new ones are significantly improved.

Any thoughts/reviews on these? Worth spending the $$$ yet again on another set of remasters?

I've got that 4-CD box set that came out in the early 90s iirc. It came in an album sized box with a large booklet. Sure, it's not all the material nor is it in album order, but it's all the Zep I need. I'd be curious to know how these new remasters sound in comparion to that set.

I actually saw a TV spot promoting the new Zep IV last night!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I too have the four CD boxset from '91 plus the two CD addendum set that came out a year later. I've heard the new LZ2, LZ4 and HotH; LZ2 and HotH seemed to gain some much needed space which brings out some more details, both seem to get EQ'd a bit for frequency response increase at both ends (the flat-response purists will rip their sashes). LZ4 is just as muddy and claustrophobic as ever.

I'm actually listening to the new reissue of Led Zep 1 right now. The album sounds great (though I never owned it before so I can't compare this to anything) but the real jewel is the bonus CD. It's the complete Paris '69 show and is absolutely fantastic. Haven't checked out any other of the new re-releases but I'd highly recommend this one
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Worth spending the $$$ yet again on another set of remasters?
    Other newer bands need and deserve your money more. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Bands such as???

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I don't know if I'm hearing enough to warrant buying these albums over again - definitely not LZ4; the only two LZ albums that get any steady rotation in my house is HotH and Physical Graffiti anyway. The bonus material on LZ4 and HotH isn't going to sway me; buncha rough takes and demos - when I wanna hear raw, out of tune, slightly mis-played Zep tunes I'll put on one of their live albums The price doesn't seem to be too bad so if you don't already own these albums than sure, why not. But if you already own the comprehensive boxset and its addendum from the early '90s, you can always assemble your own albums.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And if they are as good as Led Zeppelin they'll probably get it.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I worship Led, but i'm keeping what I have. It's tempting to get the remasters, but i'm good with the old CDs.