Thread: Going to see Paul McCartney tonight..

Going to see Paul McCartney tonight..

This is one of those "bucket list" things.. missed him 3 times over the last few years.. Excited to say the least..

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Saw Paul about 2 years ago. Very likely the best concert of my life.

From all that I've read he's been very, very good on his current tour.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

As an almost contemporary of Paul (he's got 2 plus years on me) and a lifelong singer, it humbles the hell out of me when I hear him in 2014 still able to do all his "Little Richard" vocals!

In my 20s, I did LZ tunes fine in a cover band. I have not been able to sing those songs since I was in my early 40s.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've seen people moan about Paul's live vocals at certain events like the Olympics or whatever. In a concert situation he still sounds good as his voice gets better as the show goes on. He still sings everything in the original key (something Phil Collins marvelled at on the Genesis 'When In Rome' DVD!).

I saw him 2010 and you couldn't imagine a better set-list- full of hits but a few things from Wings' catalogue I wasn't expecting. Wasn't keen on the stadium experience though, I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Wasn't keen on the stadium experience though, I have to say.
    That's the ONLY thing that keeps me from going. Just done with the whole stadium or arena concert event thang.

Greensboro Coliseum was sold out.. 3+ hours of Beatle / Wings and solo stuff from his current release... agree with the above poster.. this might just have been the best concert ever for me.. so many reasons..

All I can say is Lucky! He always delivers a great show.

Saw him at Dodger Stadium in July...he was in very fine form and played for about three hours! Very tight band backing him also!

Saw him a couple weeks ago and it was pretty darn fantastic!

He has always been an exceptional live performer. The post Linda band have been exceptionally good. Abe Jr. on drums and Wix on keys never fail to deliver.

My friend and I got the royal treatment from Clair Brothers back in 1990 when Paul played at RFK Stadium. Clair wanted to take the artist I was mixing away from Maryland sound and gave us all access so we saw the show from both the FOH position and onstage by the monitor console. A night of goosebumps to be sure.

I don't know how Paul does it but he can still open the set with I'm Down and continue to sing for 3 hours with few issues. Almost anyone would blow their voice for the night by trying that.

I hope you have a great time!
    support live music

Google is your fiend.

Just an observation: Two of the best advanced age singers who imo sound the most like they did when they were young are Macca and Paul Rodgers.

Both of them (more so Rodgers but PM as well) look like they still know how to exercise and eat right, and aren't carrying around extra weight like me and most others at that age (granted, Rodgers is the youngster at 64 (65 in Dec).

Simple math?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by bp View Post
    .... in 1990 when Paul played at RFK Stadium.
    We caught him both nights there and then two more a week later in Philly; for the last show we were about 15 rows back. He sounded good then, but as others have said my stadium days are over.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    As an almost contemporary of Paul (he's got 2 plus years on me) and a lifelong singer, it humbles the hell out of me when I hear him in 2014 still able to do all his "Little Richard" vocals!

In my 20s, I did LZ tunes fine in a cover band. I have not been able to sing those songs since I was in my early 40s.
    I've learned to scream by emulating certain recordings of Jim Morrison. it feels great.

a friend of mine went to the Macca show at the Yum Center here. Said it was awesome, even from a distance. I still get chills when I watch the Ed Sullivan performances, which I saw when I when they originally aired.

Still going strong, Sir Paul is.

At the same time, I wonder if he was something of a disappointment as a solo artist? I suppose one could think that only when one compares his Silly Love Songs to the powerful material he created with that former band of his...

my favorites of Paul's post-Beatles' work are easily Ram and Band on the Run. no filler there for me.
    Last edited by davis; 11-07-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Just an observation: Two of the best advanced age singers who imo sound the most like they did when they were young are Macca and Paul Rodgers.

Both of them (more so Rodgers but PM as well) look like they still know how to exercise and eat right, and aren't carrying around extra weight like me and most others at that age (granted, Rodgers is the youngster at 64 (65 in Dec).

Simple math?
    A few years ago I was tour manager for Ed Kowalczyk of the band Live. We did this private show in Maui and Paul Rodgers was the headliner. Damn, he kicked ass! He is a small guy, but he definitely keeps in good shape. Friendly and still down to earth. No "I'm a rock star" mentality at all.

Here's a couple of pics I shot from that night:

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    my stadium days are over.
    Mine barely started! That one experience was enough for me for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    That one experience was enough for me for a lifetime.
    The great thing about coming up in the 60s and early 70s was that--with relatively few exceptions (and excluding festivals)--major touring groups played comparatively small venues: clubs, bars, high school and college auditoriums, roller rinks, former ballrooms, and theatres. Only the biggest acts were playing civic arenas, and even fewer could fill a stadium.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

That's SIR PAUL to you.