Thread: Primus Plays Wonka - Live Online Today

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Primus Plays Wonka - Live Online Today

FYI for those who are interested:

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/story/pri...-greene-space/

WNYC has such split musical taste. Sometimes they'll feature something interesting like this, but when I turned the radio on this morning I caught a spot promoting a local show by some crappy modern Country a-hole who was singing "If you aren't here to party you came to the wrong place on the wrong Friday night." F you, hick.

Thanks!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    WNYC has such split musical taste. Sometimes they'll feature something interesting like this, but when I turned the radio on this morning I caught a spot promoting a local show by some crappy hip-hop a-hole who was rapping "If you aren't here to party you came to the wrong place on the wrong Friday night." F you, homey.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    FYI for those who are interested:

crappy modern Country a-hole who was singing "If you aren't here to party you came to the wrong place on the wrong Friday night." F you, hick.
    That could've been a Primus song too

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    WNYC has such split musical taste. Sometimes they'll feature something interesting like this, but when I turned the radio on this morning I caught a spot promoting a local show by some crappy hip-hop a-hole who was rapping "If you aren't here to party you came to the wrong place on the wrong Friday night." F you, homey.
    They're quite likely to play a bit of some damned rap song too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    That could've been a Primus song too
    I actually don't like Primus, I just people might be interested in this.

But it's weird that despite having the great, long-lived New Sounds show on WNYC (NPR), they have such bad taste in music in general. They had something a few days ago about some female singer who was invited to perform at some big event (I forget what but apparently it was a huge boon to her) and when they played part of a song it was the worst, most generic sounding thing I've ever heard. I wish I could remember her name. It's amazing how many singer songwriter folky types sound so generic and alike. And boring.

This is great, thanks for the heads up. Very Zappa-esque. Don't how long they'll keep this available as an archive, highly suggest folks to check this out.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The album as a whole is sort of a one off for me and I love Primus. Not something you can replay over and over. It does sound great live though... and when they come here to Austin next month - should be a really ahem... dynamite show!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    The album as a whole is sort of a one off for me and I love Primus. Not something you can replay over and over. It does sound great live though... and when they come here to Austin next month - should be a really ahem... dynamite show!
    Yeah, I listened to it all the way through, but don't think I'll be able to do that again. One song at a time from now on.

Would love to hear this broadcast, tho. Thanks to he who posted about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    This is great, thanks for the heads up. Very Zappa-esque. Don't how long they'll keep this available as an archive, highly suggest folks to check this out.
    Tom Waits and Beefheart influences there, too.

That's some fancy electric bass Claypool is using. Nice use of synth (Taurus?) pedals.

But, yeah, that's awesome stuff.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I like almost everything Primus does. I hope this show will be on Dime or sold at Club Bastardo. I haven't seen the Depp remake, and hardly remember anything about the Gene Wilder film.

I miss the old 'groove-based' *funky* Primus. Oh well, there's always the live tapes from the early '90s for that.

But i understand, everybody's gotten older/slower (plus Herb's heart attack)...
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    I miss the old 'groove-based' *funky* Primus. Oh well, there's always the live tapes from the early '90s for that.

But i understand, everybody's gotten older/slower (plus Herb's heart attack)...
    Its been pick and choose since Tales From The Punchbowl for me. I did enjoy the last Austin show I saw though... good times draggin' my 40+ self around a mosh pit with kids. I think I lasted about 20 mins and had to sit for a while due to trails and bright lights in my head... Yay me!