Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Relayer in 5.1 Now

If you hate Sony, do yourself a favor and buy an Oppo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Depends on how much money you have to spend also.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Not a bad idea, but you may think about whether you really need that expensive analog out version. I did consider the Oppo but my receiver has equivalent digital video and necessary digital audio processing with excellent D/As. Inevitably, unless you design the house around the speakers, DSP based calibration will be needed. With my PS3 and my euro Pioneer player, I can play just about everything, but I can't decode HDCDs. Oppos did, but not sure if they still do. I have number of HDCDS by Joni Mitchell and these were mastered so well that they sound good without the decode for a few extra bits.

Stuart Maconie's playing the new remix on his show on BBC 6 Music at 20:00 UK time, 30th November.
    That's if you don't mind it at 160kbps.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Oppos did, but not sure if they still do. I have number of HDCDS by Joni Mitchell and these were mastered so well that they sound good without the decode for a few extra bits.
    Mine does, but I have to choose optical output.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Hadn't owned a copy of Relayer since my long lost vinyl days; frankly because I found the album deadly dull. Sound quality is certainly improved this time around (though vocals still sound buried to me), but hasn't changed by underlying opinion of the albump sadly.

PS - I have the Oppo BDP93, and it plays just about every disc format you throw at it. No need to buy the analog output version frankly as most surround processors redigitize anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Is this worth getting if you don't have surround sound equipment?
    I'm actually liking all the 2 channel stuff -- the remix, the instrumental remix, the original mix transferred flat, the studio run-throughs, the LP transfers (I have the BluRay with all the trimmings) -- more than the 5.1 remix. Steve Wilson's multichannel mixes choices for Yes have vexed me before (Close to the Edge), and they vex me here. E..g, Moraz almost always in the *rear channels*, even when playing lead?? WHY? And his aversion to 'ping pong' mixing is something he should loosen up about. I would not mind if the opening Rhodes or the drums for "Sound Chaser' really chased around me at least once.

It's odd because he's done such a bang-up job on Jethro Tull (the new Warchild 5.1 mix is great).
    Last edited by ssully; 12-02-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Gates of Delirium sounds to my ears like it never has before , one reason for that is the fact that they left all of the sound effects off that were added in to the battle section.To me the song is better off without them although I am sure some won't agree.

I think people need to compare more closely --or actually compare A/B. They'll find the difference in 'sound effects' during the battle exists, but is not that large. There's still lots of banging and clanging and crashing, and that 'siren'....

One difference I noticed right away, though, happens at the start of Gates....in the measure *just before* before Howe comes in , the original mix has a cool 'zipping' effect that is missing on the remixes. It sounds like there's a hole there now, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Kind of agree with that...I listened to the DTS audio first, and during the heavier, more complicated sections it certainly did not sound very clear. There was decent separation across the speakers, but it was a bit cacophonous and not in a good way. Also lacking in bass.

I do like the live version of Sound Chaser though.

Just fired up the LPCM surround mix and lo and behold...Squire's bass is more prominent, and sound is generally clearer and better defined.
    There really should be no big difference between the DTS and LPCM, if you match the volume... but that's an endless audiophile argument just waiting to happen.

It has always been a cacophonous album, I would not like a remix that wasn't.

I do wonder if Offord's mix was more compressed (using analog compression) than Wilson's. That would affect the 'punchiness'. Wilson doesn't seem to like using compression.

(btw the live Sound Chaser was previously available on the 'Word Is Live' boxed set.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Has anyone played the bonus stuff on the Blu-ray?

I have the DVD-A and just played the sudio run throughs - pleasantly and surprisingly the demo Gates is different from the one on the Rhino remaster

It sounds later in the process to me, the music seems fairly finished, but Anderson is still working on the vocals and their cadence

I was curious if the "exclusive" Gates on the Blu-ray is different than the one on the Rhino as well

BG
    On the BluRay, there are *two* studio run throughs of Gates -- one was on the Rhino remaster, the other is new here.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    So it is with great pleasure that I can say that, for me at least, Relayer is everything I hoped it would be. It is like listening to master tapes and not a 5th generation cassette played on a 50s era player. No stupid takes and bits that were wisely left off in the first place are reinserted in the mix. (Well, maybe a few seconds of nylon string in Sound Chaser but it's not too bad). He mixed it probably 95% the way I would have in terms of balance; a couple keyboard parts are low for my liking but that's quibbling. This is the final, true, definitive version of this album for me and every one that has ever proceeded it belongs in a bonfire, including vinyl. Heck, especially most of the American vinyl pressings. Steve gets a lifetime pass for this.
    The flat transfer of the original 2 track master tapes is the 'final' Relayer to me. (or, if I want to hear vinyl 'warmth', the UK LP transfer). The remixes are an interesting variation.

Steve Wilson is great -- and for Yes, his 'Yes Album' remixes turned out really well -- but all hail Eddie Offord.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post

Ha! In truth, I can actually die peacefully now that I know what they were singing. Whenever Jon was asked about the vocals at the end of To Be Over we would say something like just "good vibes."

well he was more forthcoming than that at least once

http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2306394

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post

I recall reading Eddie Offord say he went a bit mad trying to get good on-pitch vocal harmony takes for that record.

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    I recall reading Eddie Offord say he went a bit mad trying to get good on-pitch vocal harmony takes for that record.
    There was a large amount of fail but it all works in the end

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    One difference I noticed right away, though, happens at the start of Gates....in the measure *just before* before Howe comes in , the original mix has a cool 'zipping' effect that is missing on the remixes. It sounds like there's a hole there now, to me.
    It's there, but it's low in the mix. It's in the left channel. That's the one major gripe I have with the SW mix, he undermixed some important (imho) keyboard parts.

Yesterday I bought this, and tomorrow I'm going to return it back to the store. The b-ray disc is empty. The CD sounds much worse, then widely critisized Rhino 2005 edition.

I was looking forward to hearing this remix, but I came away underwhelmed. The mix sounds very closed in and doesn't have the sense of depth and openness as the original. Also perhaps too much bass.

If I was in charge of these remix projects I would want to do a mix that was at least totally different from the original. Kind of trying to do a similar mix with modern technology is kind of pointless imo.

More than that, it's a waste. Like I said, the blu ray disc is empty. I mean totally empty.

Followup, I worked with Neil and figured out why the DVD-A wouldn't play on my system, has to do with PTP vs OTP mastering.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

http://http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/...yer-cdblu-ray/
    Don't buy it, people. You can get a spoiled exemplar.

The link is a spoiled exemplar.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    More than that, it's a waste. Like I said, the blu ray disc is empty. I mean totally empty.
    The sanctions are apparently working!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    The sanctions are apparently working!

BG
    )) I returned my CD-Blu ray edition to the store, got my money back( sum equivalent to 65$), and I'm afraid they're going to ship it back to the sender..
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...u-ray-reissue/
    BTW, I tried to listen to the CD..I was astonished how bad it sounds. Recently I picked GG TP&TG by SW - excellent!, and JT War Child box - superb! In case of Relayer, I then put on my old Rhino 2005 remaster, and it sounds much better, than Wilson's new remix..

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    In case of Relayer, I then put on my old Rhino 2005 remaster, and it sounds much better, than Wilson's new remix..
    Good, it's nice for Rhino that someone wants to hear that thing.

Yeah, Rhino's issue is not bad, at least by comparison. I gave up bying Relayers, anyway