Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Cardiacs : A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window

FEATURED CD - Cardiacs : A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window

A brillaintly negative review on iTunes (which makes me WANT to listen to it again!):
    Shrill and freaky. Anarchic and a bit oompah-oompah. Almost unanimously loathed. Perhaps what you'd expect if you raised small orphans solely on prog-rock records scratched into the higher channels of Megadeth's Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! while they formed a union to demand to go catch the latest Dexy's Midnight Runners tour. Cardiacs' first studio album is one for the amnesiacs of the world. It leaps about, chews on its own rhythms — like "In a City Lining," often 43 times within the same song — eschewing choruses as if conventional songwriting caused cancer. It's reckless, difficult music that still retains a sense of celebration. The equivalent of a top-secret document with the best bits blacked out.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/li...ld/id336762275

And a more positive one on ProgArchives
    Imagine The Cure freaking out on acid crossed with Captain Beefheart, IQ, The Smiths and The Residents and you have The Cardiacs, one of the strangest bands you've never heard of. Led by multi-talented head-banger Tim Smith, The Cardiacs emerged at some point in the mid-1980's, sporting a bizarre sonic hybrid of progressive rock and punk - called 'Pronk' by some - and a manic intensity which quickly won them a hardcore loyal following made up of a genuine cross-section of sub-sceners, ranging from goths to punks to rockers and the occasional mental patient. The enigmatic Smith, who had, since his very early teens been devouring literally thousands of records of all kinds, began - like some crazed mad professor - stitching together sounds and textures from bands as diverse as of The Damned, The Sex Pistols, The Stranglers, Pink Floyd and Genesis, thus brewing up his highly-charged musical bastardization to the utter amazement of anyone who dared to listen. A first album, 1984's 'The Seaside', would prove a bold, low-budget start, with Smith(guitar, vocals) joined by a collection of similarly-inclined and utterly bonkers musicians such as William D. Drake(keyboards), Jim Smith(bass), Sarah Smith(sax) and Dominic Luckman(drums), all of whom also possessed phenomenal musical abilities to go with their weirdo-goth-punk sensibilities. 'The Seaside' would prove an engaging beginning but it would be the follow-up album 'A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window' that would really put The Cardiacs on the map. Retaining the zany psych-rock of it's predecessor but amping up the prog aspects, album no.2 proved to be anything but the cliched 'second difficult album' it was meant to be. Indeed, 'A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window' is seen by both Cardiacs fans and music critics alike as the group's magnus opus, featuring as it does the classic rockers 'Is This The Life' and 'In A City Lining', both of which feature screeching guitars, thick slabs of neo-prog keyboards and Smith's trademark lunatic-jester vocals. As one un-named commentator so succinctly put it: 'The Cardiacs feature more ideas in one song than most band's do in their entire careers'; he's not wrong. Each song on this glorious anti-pop album features an abundance of creativity with anarchic punk aesthetics and complex prog riffs strapped together and injected with thuddering bass-lines, shimmering synths, squawking saxophones, glass- shattering guitars, sweeping orchestral soundbites, moody post-punk textures and catchy pop rhythms - often all at once. There is little as purposefully absurd as Tim Smith and his rampant cohorts in full flow. For those of you out there who are prepared to take a step into the unknown, hidden treasures await. Imagine Marillion jamming with Throbbing Gristle and 'Trout Mask Replica'-era Beefheart and you're halfway there, but even that unholy mix fails to be as insanely original as 'A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window'. Just like the best foods in life The Cardiacs leave you screaming for more, their wonderfully perverse brew of sounds and styles proving as addictive as crack, as exciting as sex and as inventive as anything by the 1970's-era progressive rock greats. A truly fabulous album. STEFAN TURNER, LONDON, 2010
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7030

Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant

My favorite by them
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Terrible, horrible band. Pure rubbish.

chalkpie
    I actually have to thanks Ian B and Mike Lieto for really enlightening me on the track "The Whole World Window". It was always just the closing chapter on an utterly brilliant album, but hearing them talk so passionately about it on Ian's radio show a few weeks back led me to rediscover all over again in a way. It's really such a beautiful and dark ballad. Is it me or does this one have a pretty big Bowie vibe? I've made 6 Cardiacs compilations and can you believe I didn't include that track? It will be on no.7

For me it is their best album. Brilliant and inventive from start to finish!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I was sixteen and got lent this by a friend at college a couple of weeks after it came out in 1988.
    Before side one had even finished, I realised this was the best music I'd ever heard.
    There was no going back after that.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 10-29-2014 at 06:30 AM.

I was still pretty much a neo-prog head at the time this came out (although i already started to investigate Hammill, GG and KC). I remember there was a review in a Dutch prog magazine which started something like this: "a cross between genesis and the sex pistols, is this possible? 'No!!!' Will thousand of deeply shocked progheads cry out. But alas folks; the monster lives."

My curiousity was immediately aroused.

At the end of this (very positive) review was a contest: Win this CD! All you had to to was answer who loaned his mellotron for the recordings of a little man. This wasn't too difficult since the answer was in an interview with Tim and sarah in the same issue (it was Martin Orford). I put the answer on a postcard and a few weeks later the CD dropped in my mailbox.

Man, this was something different then what my Marillion, Pallas and IQ-trained-ears were used to. I wasn't too sure I liked it at first. I just couldn't deny some sort of manic attraction that kept me coming back and back again. Not much later I saw them play live in the paradiso club in Amsterdam and after that I was totally convinced: This is the band that I was looking for!

And Marillion, Pallas and IQ? never looked back really.
    Last edited by thedunno; 10-29-2014 at 06:02 AM.

This is actually *only* my 3th favourite cardiacs album (after STG and On land..). But thats only because its all so fucking brilliant.

Songcraft par excellance.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

My entry point into their whack little world. Not sure it is my all-time fave Cardiacs, but it is definitely a thrilling listen.

Cheers for the killer Featured CD pick, Duncan
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

One of their best ones, if not THE best. Love it from the very first second till the very last one - the majestic coda is one of the best moments in the entire Cardiacs history for me, I think I even prefer it to the (deservedly) revered "Everso Closely Guarded Line" from the next LP.

Just got the original vinyl of this a couple of months ago and can't stop playing it.

The "negative" review from iTunes is quite cool BTW. I wish all negative reviews were like that!

Woo-hoo, another Cardiacs thread!!

Love, love, love this band. Heard this album about a year (!) ago now and I was blown away on first listen (which I understand is rather unusual). I sat thinking, "This band must've snuck inside my head and made this music for me." I must've played it every day for a month and I never got sick of it. They've probably released better albums than this (Sing to God, On Land and in the Sea), but this is THE Cardiacs album for me. Such a complete experience in every way.

For a class project, we had to chose a song and draw aimlessly to it, then analyze the drawing. I chose "Is this the Life". Here is an excerpt from my paper:

Now, I love Cardiacs. Usually their material walks the fine line between amazing instrumental pyrotechnics and classically influenced arrangements, and tracks based in raw emotion. Most of their material also is presented in this manic, energetic fashion that sends some listeners running and screaming, but they also have an incredible pop sensibility; as in, you walk away humming their tunes. I mention this, because "Is This the Life?" is quite different from their usual fare. Originally released in 1987 as a single, it is the only song of theirs that actually managed to chart and it gained them a wider appeal. Two things are surprising about this - 1) It's unlike any of their other material, and 2) For a 'hit', it's actually a great track.

Now, there are countless Cardiacs tunes that I prefer to this one, but the reason why I chose this particular song (and trust me, it was not an easy decision), was because I have commented on prior occasions that "Is This the Life?" makes me feel like I'm floating. With its dream-like, psychedelic chord changes and repetitive drumbeat, it is a song that (unlike Cardiacs' usually, manic material) actually relaxes me.

The song also features positively heroic saxophone lines and a guitar solo that reminds me of the music that I usually hear in only the most joyous of dreams. Composer / guitarist Tim Smith does not try to wow you with his dexterity on the instrument, but rather constructs a sonic painting, drenched in feedback and reverb. In fact, I'm not sure he plays anything that could be classified as a note, but rather an atmospheric assault that always reaches me in a way that your typical heavy metal 'shredder' could only dream of. Yes, it is that good.

I could write about every track on this album just as passionately. It's an incredible, landmark recording. I never tire of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I was sixteen and got lent this by a friend at college a couple of weeks after it came out in 1988.
    Before side one had even finished, I realised this was the best music I'd ever heard.
    Man, that was it for me too. I only listened to "City Lining" and realized "this has got to be the greatest band ever". And I was kind of a music snob at that point
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

This is (obviously) brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    This is actually *only* my 3th favourite cardiacs album (after STG and On land..).
    +1.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I actually have to thanks Ian B and Mike Lieto for really enlightening me on the track "The Whole World Window". It was always just the closing chapter on an utterly brilliant album, but hearing them talk so passionately about it on Ian's radio show a few weeks back led me to rediscover all over again in a way. It's really such a beautiful and dark ballad. Is it me or does this one have a pretty big Bowie vibe? I've made 6 Cardiacs compilations and can you believe I didn't include that track? It will be on no.7
    Hell yea!! I put this bad boy on my first Cardiacs mix after Loosefish Scapegrace. Can't think of a better 1-2 punch to close a mix really. This is the song that got me hooked on Cardiacs. I love this band to pieces. 2014 for me was the year I really fell in love with Cardiacs. Brilliant, jaw dropping music that has thoughroughly infected my conscience, and i am never looking back. Tim is a god.

THERE"S TOO MANY BLOODY IRONS IN THE FIRE

This album is the one that got me hooked and is tied for a favorite with Sing to God. It's one of those albums that gets better and better with each listen. I'm Eating in Bed is also one of the most fun songs I've ever heard.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

chalkpie
    In all seriousness, its because of PE that I am a Cardiacs fan, well these days a pretty hardcore fanatic. I hope another lucky soul gets sucked into Tim's world after seeing the featured disc and checking out "A Little Man...".

I hope Tim sees this thread (and really the big one).

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    look at where all of this led ;-)>

it has the painfully emotive “the whole world window” – their own ITCOTCK by all considerations. and it has “is this the life” which i consider one of the finest songs ever written. it is probably as close as CARDiACS ever got to having an actual hit album and a total and utter mellotron classic to boot, but it's not their best.

Well, well, well...

I popped my head into the PE Universe, after a long absence, and what do I see...? A Little Flower up top designating A Little Man as the featured LP. God, how I miss coming here daily, and seeking out odd threads about this & that, and commenting, crowing & commiserating with Cardiacs people like the ones right here.

I have really missed you folks.

Like some of the others, this album was my introduction to Cardiacs, (for me it was 2003) and they instantaneously became my favorite band on most days since. I believe it was the 1-2 punch of 'Icing on the World' and 'Breakfast Line' which really drew me in... I had never heard such an odd mixture of influences with such bold, outright creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    ...and a guitar solo that reminds me of the music that I usually hear in only the most joyous of dreams. Composer / guitarist Tim Smith does not try to wow you with his dexterity on the instrument, but rather constructs a sonic painting, drenched in feedback and reverb. In fact, I'm not sure he plays anything that could be classified as a note, but rather an atmospheric assault that always reaches me in a way that your typical heavy metal 'shredder' could only dream of. Yes, it is that good.
    Truly, honestly. So well said, and in general so true of so many of my favorite guitar solos over the years. I'll take an ounce of oddness, sincerity and heartfelt soloing over 60 pounds of overblown "look what I can do!" shred any day.

I need to load this gem of an album into the car player & re-visit... it's been way too long.
    -----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

I got into Cardiacs just in the past few months, thanks to the Big Thread. I was spinning this album in the car just this morning. There's so much amazing music to absorb on the five or six CDs I bought that I feel as if I barely know this music yet. I pick up something new with every listen. It's been a while since I've been so intrigued by a new band. Thanks for featuring this one, Duncan.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Hadn't heard a note of Cardiacs before just playing the link in Duncan's post. Have to say....I like it! Darn though, more music to add to my want list!

chalkpie
    Love seeing the daisy up there at the top of the main page....what album can follow this?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Love seeing the daisy up there at the top of the main page....what album can follow this?
    That daisy is a wonderful symbol indeed. I actually bought a black cardiacs daisy t-shirt for my wife and guess what: she loves it. She is wearing it all the time and looks pretty nice in it i'd say .

Too bad she hates the music.

Yep. This one's a keeper. My favorite from them.
    The Prog Corner

chalkpie
    Keep featuring Cardiacs discs Duncan! Do 'em all!