Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your 10 favorite mellotron moments

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I'll add four cuts by American bands using a Mellotron

Don't Ever Want to Lose Ya - New England
    Ice - Crack the Sky
    Save for a Rainy Day Theme - Jan & Dean (that is correct, sir, the Jan & Dan; well, actually they used a Chamberlin in 1966)
    Purple Haze - The Fibonaccis
    Pavlov's Dog had some choice mellotron tracks too such as "did you see him cry,""Julia","preludin"(heck anything from the first album in particular).

Both CELLULOID albums (Mercury & Neptune). Recorded entirely on the mellotron M400 with only limited use of synclavier on the debut.

Last edited by spacefreak; 10-31-2014 at 06:27 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity - This Wheel's On Fire
    Simon Dupree and the Big Sound - Kites

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I’ll offer a second vote for that one. Also:

• “Lovely Luna” off of See See the Sun by Kayak (none at all for the first ¾ of the track...then WHAM! Big-time strings!)
    • “Masquerade” off of Keeping Up by Jonesy (it’s not often that you hear Mellotron strings side-by-side with the real thing. Borderline overkill, yet oddly wonderful.)
    • “A Bridge to Alice” off of Glory of the Inner Force by Finch
    • “På gata (1 & 2)” off of Blå vardag by Atlas (two more that save up the Mellotron for the big climax)
    • “Starless” off of Red by King Crimson
    • “We Love You” by the Rolling Stones (Brian Jones really made that Mark II brass spit like a cobra!)
    • “Holstenwall Fair” off of Hats of Glass by Eela Craig (nice choirs and brass!)
    • “Watcher of the Skies” off of Foxtrot by Genesis (hate to be totally obvious, but that intro is just SO iconic!)
    • “Pictures” off of Symphonic Pictures by Schicke, Führs & Fröhling (the whole track is like a Mellotron tutorial for budding prog keyboardists!)

Honourable mention to Spring for using the exquisitely rare Mark II electric guitar tapes so effectively on “The Prisoner (Eight by Ten)”
    Some Kayak love!!! Awesome. I really loved their first five albums.
    Prog's Not Dead

King Crimson - In The Court Of Crimson King
    King Crimson - Sailor's Tale
    King Crimson - Cirkus
    Focus - Bread
    Spring - Grail
    Gentle Giant - Schooldays
    Camel Air Born
    Genesis Seven Stones
    Genesis The Fountain Of Salmatics
    PFM Imprezzioni Di Settembre

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, listen to the intro to Watcher Of The Skies. That's all Mellotron. Tony Banks also used the Mellotron choir on the keyboard solos of The Cinema Show and Entangled and also during the choruses on the Seconds Out version of Afterglow. On the Rush song Tears, the strings and flutes are Mellotron. Anything on the mid 70's Tangerine Dream albums that sounds like strings, choir or flutes, that's Mellotron, as are the flutes on the intro of Strawberry Fields Forever. And the Symphonic Pictures album by Schicke, Führs & Fröhling is awash in Mellotron.

Most of the keyboard sounds that aren't obviously electric piano or synth on the 70's era King Crimson records are Mellotron (eg the strings on Starless and Exiles, the brass on the end of The Sailors Tailor, the flutes on Trio, etc), though sometimes the brass on the King Crimson records is actually real brass (and obviously the woodwinds on the first five Crimson albums is real woodwinds). The strings on Lynyrd Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone is also Mellotron.

If you listen to those recordings, that will give an idea of what some of the more famous Mellotron sounds sound like. Typically if it sounds like a low grade recording of an out of tune choir, string section, brass or flutes, it's gonna be the Mellotron.

Sometimes, though, it's a Chamberlin (basically the American version of the Mellotron which actually predated the Mellotron by about a decade, in fact the first Mellotron was essentially a rip off of the Chamberlin) and occasionally it's a Vako Orchestron (a keyboard that used optical disks instead of tapes, used by Kraftwerk and Pat Moraz in the late 70's...I think the Orchestron might be on some of the Moody Blues records). I believe Steve Hackett used a Mattel Optigan (a cheap toy keyboard that used the same technology as the Vako Orchestron) on his late 70's and early 80's records.

Oh yeah, and the acoustic guitar at the beginning of Bungalow Bill off The White Album, that's Mellotron too. From what I gather, if you buy a new Mellotron these days, one of the tapes you can order, ironically, is derived from the Fairlight!
    Sorry it took a while but I've been me for a while longer than I should have been.

Right! Good post, but you could have saved yourself some time in typing all that out and just said "Thanks for playing, but here's a box of Rice-A-Roni and a cheap home version of the game".

Not a insult, Mr. Guitar Geek(maybe you should change that name as you seem to be a geek of all musical instruments) but damn, I really gotta go listen to Genesis? I can't insult you for trying to answer my stupid questionYou did your best to try and teach the ignorant.

Stupid of me to ask, as I'm not gonna get it. I've read the Wiki page and it's not a lot of help as it seems no one knows where or if any Mellotrons have the "real" sounds or not and bloody hell if my ears can tell the difference between a digiridoo and a tambourine.

Seriously, if the guitar intro to Bungalow Bill is a Mellotron, then how am I supposed to know this from a real guitar? I don't have trained ears, even though I've tried to listen to all the audiophiles out there for the last few years and I've learned almost nothing except that my hearing, while not in bad shape at all, is nothing compared to those who do this crap for a living or those who are just nuts. Two separate categories, although many musicians do tend to be nuts someone who spends $100,000 on a turntable to get "THAT' particular sound, well, that's really crazy.

In reality, I'm fucking clueless about sounds. Drums haven't sounded like drums since the '70's (if that) and that's what I used to play so what the hell do I know? I always knew Rush's Vapor Trails sounded like shit but I could never tell you why until a few years ago (read it on the net, what else) and I still can't explain other than the large type on a screen that looks like yelling metaphor.

Actually, there is one thing I do know, and it's that I can really REALLY piss people off (not to be talked about on PE but if you want send me a message and I'll give you the info, it's a real hoot). That matters not but it's funny(inside joke funny) but damn, I still think of myself as a musician after all these years of not being one. I just wish I could hear what others hear. Maybe if I'd had that experience in the studio I'd know something, but I don't. Dammit.

Somewhat, but not entirely, like the Freaks & Geeks episode where the girl says she wished she could go back in time and hear the album again for the first time as there's nothing like that experience, well, I haven't had that experience.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on so much about my ignorance of sounds but it's what I do, it seems.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

HODOR!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Sorry it took a while but I've been me for a while longer than I should have been.

Right! Good post, but you could have saved yourself some time in typing all that out and just said "Thanks for playing, but here's a box of Rice-A-Roni and a cheap home version of the game".

Not a insult, Mr. Guitar Geek(maybe you should change that name as you seem to be a geek of all musical instruments) but damn, I really gotta go listen to Genesis? I can't insult you for trying to answer my stupid questionYou did your best to try and teach the ignorant.

Stupid of me to ask, as I'm not gonna get it. I've read the Wiki page and it's not a lot of help as it seems no one knows where or if any Mellotrons have the "real" sounds or not and bloody hell if my ears can tell the difference between a digiridoo and a tambourine.

Seriously, if the guitar intro to Bungalow Bill is a Mellotron, then how am I supposed to know this from a real guitar? I don't have trained ears, even though I've tried to listen to all the audiophiles out there for the last few years and I've learned almost nothing except that my hearing, while not in bad shape at all, is nothing compared to those who do this crap for a living or those who are just nuts. Two separate categories, although many musicians do tend to be nuts someone who spends $100,000 on a turntable to get "THAT' particular sound, well, that's really crazy.

In reality, I'm fucking clueless about sounds. Drums haven't sounded like drums since the '70's (if that) and that's what I used to play so what the hell do I know? I always knew Rush's Vapor Trails sounded like shit but I could never tell you why until a few years ago (read it on the net, what else) and I still can't explain other than the large type on a screen that looks like yelling metaphor.

Actually, there is one thing I do know, and it's that I can really REALLY piss people off (not to be talked about on PE but if you want send me a message and I'll give you the info, it's a real hoot). That matters not but it's funny(inside joke funny) but damn, I still think of myself as a musician after all these years of not being one. I just wish I could hear what others hear. Maybe if I'd had that experience in the studio I'd know something, but I don't. Dammit.

Somewhat, but not entirely, like the Freaks & Geeks episode where the girl says she wished she could go back in time and hear the album again for the first time as there's nothing like that experience, well, I haven't had that experience.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on so much about my ignorance of sounds but it's what I do, it seems.
    Does it really worry you that you can't tell what instruments are playing what sounds? I was listening to the live version of Talking Heads' 'Slippery People' and wondering what was playing the riffs, but it didn't stop me enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, not much to add here, but we need a tron brass moment. Watcher Of The Skies is too obvious, so I'm going with Hero And Heroine.
    Eela Craig - Circles from One niter.

@ Halmyre

Yeah, it does, because I'm a fool and want to know how it's done and what they are using.

Even though I don't understand most of it I still want to know. I'm weird like that.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

HODOR!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    @ Halmyre

Yeah, it does, because I'm a fool and want to know how it's done and what they are using.

Even though I don't understand most of it I still want to know. I'm weird like that.
    To be honest, I quite like to know as well. I'm not a musician but I'm often interested in what makes the sounds I'm hearing.

Pineapple Thief 1:21 into (the track), "What Have We Sown?" the part where they rock out at the beginning
    ...and then again at 6:05 into the same track, slowing down and darkening the mood beautifully.

Yeah, lot of great Mellotron moments on the early records.

Also, practically everything else mentioned, especially Tangerine Dream and Crack the Sky and Tony Banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Eela Craig - Circles from One niter.
    I was going to post this one. Eela Craig sure made excellent use of the M400 brass! In the end, I went with “Holstenwall Fair” instead, as it has choirs in addition to the brass, and I loves me some M400 choir!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I was going to post this one. Eela Craig sure made excellent use of the M400 brass! In the end, I went with “Holstenwall Fair” instead, as it has choirs in addition to the brass, and I loves me some M400 choir!
    I took One niter, because someone asked for Mellotron brass. The picture on the back of the cover makes my mouth water.

Especially check out 3:48, when the Mellotron pipe organ shows up! Why didn’t more people use this sound?

We've used the Tron pipe organ a few times.

Came across this recent video from the Sea of Tranquility web site guy. He goes over albums that have used the tron:

The Moody Blues - Have You Heard (Pt. 1)/The Voyage/Have You Heard (Pt. 2)
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

here’s a nice, venerable reviews resource. the author certainly has a way with his words! https://www.planetmellotron.com/

random fave. tron kicks in at ca. 1:00:

One of my favorite moments is in the KC Lizard suite right after Gordon songs "march forward". Gets me every time.

Turn The Page - Bob Seger And The Silver Billet Band
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Argent - The coming of Kohoutek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6TrddocIyA

Arthur Brown kingdom come - The Hymn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9heZ8Z6JkA

YES - Tales (many places)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Came across this recent video from the Sea of Tranquility web site guy. He goes over albums that have used the tron:
    Some mistakes there. The Yes Album and Asylum, to name two, contain exactly zero Mellotron.

Zarek by Soncna Pot has some great Mellotron.

Morte Macabre is from Sweden, not Italy