Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 10 favorite mellotron moments

Your 10 favorite mellotron moments

Like many prog fans I'm totally in love with the mellotron...so here's a list to pay tribute to our top 10 fave tron moments

1) Epitaph - Crimso (that moment when it makes it's 1st appearance is best described as "icy" and still puts shivers down my spine)
    2) Feathered Friends - Greenslade (a fantastic tron string sound solo from an instrument not usually solo'd on)
    3) Blood on the Rooftops - Genesis (such an incredible sound which is a perfect match to the lyric "dark and grey, an English film, the wednesday play...")
    4) Cirkus - Crimso (I consider the deep tron brass part as the most evil tron sound ever recorded)
    5) A Colin Maillard - Ange (the ending when the tron makes it appearance is magic from a keyboardist more well known for using organs than a tron)
    6) Strawberry Fields - Beatles (Paul's flute intro is probably the 1st time most of us ever heard a tron)
    7) Breezes of Patchuli - Donovan (actually released before Strawberry Fields, this tron drenched song is about the most proggy Donovan ever got)
    8) Principe di un Giorno - Celeste (fantastic RPI song from 1976, the tron only appears a couple times but the ending of the title cut is perfect)
    9) Sargasso - Netherworld (a very dark tron sound for a very dark song)
    10) Golden Fleece - Spring (the whole sound is based on and just dripping with that tron string sound)
    bonus) In the Court of the Crimson King - Crimso (the "ahh" section that blends tron with Lake's voice is too cool)
    Check out my one-man prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown

Check out Mutiny in Jonestown's latest album, "The Daemons Mock Me While I Sleep" at: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.c...-while-i-sleep

1. Every Christian Lion Hearted Man - The Bee Gees ( right from the get-go - makes the song sound gothic)
    2. Calling Occupants - Klaatu (because real strings just wouldnt have sounded right in a song about contacting extraterrestrials)
    3. Nights in White Satin - The Moody Blues (tasteful throughout -- makes the song what it is)
    4. A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers - Van der Graaf Generator ( the spooky/creepy part at about 18 minutes that pans back n forth -- neat use)
    5. Mellotron Scratch - Porcupine Tree (haunting choir sounds -- creepy like a bunch of faces from Munch's "The Scream" are trying to sing)
    6. Space Oddity - David Bowie (because the mellotron parts make the song)
    7. Changes - Black Sabbath ( same thing as above)

Im just writing 7 because I like too many...I like Mellotron too much to limit it to just 10.....no such thing as a "Not Favorite Mellotron Moment" for me...any use of a mellotron/chamberlin is great!

Trio
    Sailor's Tale
    Starless
    Night Watch
    The Devil's Triangle
    Cirkus
    Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
    The Big Sleep in Search of Hades
    3 AM At the Border of the Marsh from Okefenokee
    Betrayal
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 10-28-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Trio
    Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
    Hard to go past that.

I'll add the end of 'Kung Bore' on Hybris

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

What album is "betrayal" from?

KC - Epitaph
    Beatles -Flying (from Magical Mystery Tour)
    YES- Revealing Science of God
    KC - Devil's Triangle
    Anglagard - Jordrok
    Camel - Lady Fantasy
    PFM - Appena Un Po
    TD -Mysterious Semblance at the strand of nightmares
    GG - Three Friends (title track)I initially had "pantagruel's nativity but changed it as I think this is a better example of tron.
    Genesis - Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats (Almost chose firth of fifth but picked this instead at the last minute)
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-29-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    What album is "betrayal" from?
    Sorcerer

Well, not much to add here, but we need a tron brass moment. Watcher Of The Skies is too obvious, so I'm going with Hero And Heroine.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, not much to add here, but we need a tron brass moment. Watcher Of The Skies is too obvious, so I'm going with Hero And Heroine.
    Theres a Kinks song with mellotron brass that I wanted to mention but I forgot the name of it

Jethro Tull-Witch's Promise
    Traffic-Dream Gerrard..

..and all the tracks mentioned upthread
    Last edited by walt; 10-29-2014 at 02:46 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    4) Cirkus - Crimso (I consider the deep tron brass part as the most evil tron sound ever recorded)
    Personally I prefer Battle of The Glass Tears on that album

Ever tried Harmonium's Cinquième Saison??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If memory serves, the end of Sailor's Tale on Earthbound is distorted brass. It starts with violins.

Explain to me how I can know what sounds are Mellotron and how I can define those sounds as I'm still trying to figure all this keyboard crap out.

How the hell is a simple and lousy drummer who has never recorded anything is supposed to know.

Really, I don't know much. I try but am woefully ignorant.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

HODOR!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Explain to me how I can know what sounds are Mellotron and how I can define those sounds as I'm still trying to figure all this keyboard crap out..
    Well, listen to the intro to Watcher Of The Skies. That's all Mellotron. Tony Banks also used the Mellotron choir on the keyboard solos of The Cinema Show and Entangled and also during the choruses on the Seconds Out version of Afterglow. On the Rush song Tears, the strings and flutes are Mellotron. Anything on the mid 70's Tangerine Dream albums that sounds like strings, choir or flutes, that's Mellotron, as are the flutes on the intro of Strawberry Fields Forever. And the Symphonic Pictures album by Schicke, Führs & Fröhling is awash in Mellotron.

Most of the keyboard sounds that aren't obviously electric piano or synth on the 70's era King Crimson records are Mellotron (eg the strings on Starless and Exiles, the brass on the end of The Sailors Tailor, the flutes on Trio, etc), though sometimes the brass on the King Crimson records is actually real brass (and obviously the woodwinds on the first five Crimson albums is real woodwinds). The strings on Lynyrd Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone is also Mellotron.

If you listen to those recordings, that will give an idea of what some of the more famous Mellotron sounds sound like. Typically if it sounds like a low grade recording of an out of tune choir, string section, brass or flutes, it's gonna be the Mellotron.

Sometimes, though, it's a Chamberlin (basically the American version of the Mellotron which actually predated the Mellotron by about a decade, in fact the first Mellotron was essentially a rip off of the Chamberlin) and occasionally it's a Vako Orchestron (a keyboard that used optical disks instead of tapes, used by Kraftwerk and Pat Moraz in the late 70's...I think the Orchestron might be on some of the Moody Blues records). I believe Steve Hackett used a Mattel Optigan (a cheap toy keyboard that used the same technology as the Vako Orchestron) on his late 70's and early 80's records.

Oh yeah, and the acoustic guitar at the beginning of Bungalow Bill off The White Album, that's Mellotron too. From what I gather, if you buy a new Mellotron these days, one of the tapes you can order, ironically, is derived from the Fairlight!
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 10-29-2014 at 07:08 AM.

I had to amend my list, because there was an obvious one that I left off:

Genesis: The Cinema Show
    Genesis: Aisle Of Plenty
    Genesis: Entangled
    Radio Massacre International: Diabolica
    Tangerine Dream: Royal Albert Hall, first set, April 1975
    Rush: Tears
    The Beatles: Strawberry Fields Forever intro
    Lynyrd Skynyrd: Tuesday's Gone.
    Schicke, Führs & Fröhling: Tao
    Schicke, Führs & Fröhling: Pictures

1. Revealing Science of God
    2. Cirkus
    3. Watcher of the Skies
    4. The Ancient
    5. Lizard
    6. New Languages (the song isn't great but the mt part is)
    7. The Cinema Show
    8. Epitaph
    9. Three Friends
    10. ItCotCK
    Last edited by llanwydd; 10-29-2014 at 01:17 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    anyone mention Led Zep's Rain Song yet?
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I had to amend my list, because there was an obvious one that I left off:

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Tuesday's Gone.
    I actually almost put that one as a joke Rain Song is a fail for me because it's horrifically out of tune! Great arrangement though. Also, Kasmir, mixed with the real string section.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    anyone mention Led Zep's Rain Song yet?
    Sadly, someone has now.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

I agree with many of those listed so far.

PFM - L'Isola di Niente
    Il Balletto di Bronzo - YS
    Canarios - Ciclos
    Last edited by simon moon; 10-29-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Ever tried Harmonium's Cinquième Saison??
    It's on my new listening list but haven't gotten there yet
    Check out my one-man prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown

Check out Mutiny in Jonestown's latest album, "The Daemons Mock Me While I Sleep" at: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.c...-while-i-sleep

Blue Weaver does many cool Mellotron parts on GRAVE NEW WORLD and its follow up.

Kestrel- August Carol

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    It's on my new listening list but haven't gotten there yet
    if you cited Celeste's Principe de Un Giorno....

bon apetit

Don't mistake the Ondes Martenot for the 'trons, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Re: Tuesday's Gone

I actually almost put that one as a joke
    Why as a joke? I think the Mellotron strings on that track pretty much make it. It takes the song from being a really good ballad to give this sort of cinematic vibe, like the difference between watching a movie like Gone With The Wind or Lawrence Of Arabia on TV and seeing it in a theater.

Rain Song is a fail for me because it's horrifically out of tune!
    Aren't ALL Mellotron parts out of tune? I once heard the explanation that since each note was recorded individually, the musicians who were recording them weren't able to have them be in tune with each other or whatever. So when you play chords, the sound is kinda like a piano that hasn't been tuned in a long time, sort of like a saloon piano you might you hear in a western or the so called "honky tonk" piano sound.