Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mats/Morgan Band

Mats/Morgan Band

Starting in the basement with the first album. I've been aware of these guys for a long time and now is the time to rip into it. Samples have sounded amazing.

They are all good, but these are must haves

The Music or the Money… (1997) Versatile, many styles, great stuff !
    Live (2001) Awesome, fantastic, jawdropping, nothing like it, etc. - just get it !
    On Air with Guests (2002) Parts are fantastic, fun !
    Schack Tati (2014) love it

(And btw while you are at it - check out Morgans brother Jimmy Agrens band)

I have the live CD. Lots of technical fireworks, but the music didn't really satisfy.

I have one of Jimmy's albums. He sounds like a Beefheart disciple. But I enjoyed
    his stuff a lot more.

I really like and advise the last one "Schack Tati (2014) and the Live (2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The Music or the Money… (1997); Live (2001)
    These are my faves. That part on the Money... when oddball throatsinger Sten Sandell appears is one of my fave passages of music by anyone in the past 20 years, and the whole live album is beyond reproach - quite simply stunning!

Then go get Simon Steensland's Live Gang-Gang with Morgan drumming.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have the live album and a few others and have seen them live once. I really love what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Telecaster View Post
    Ha! That's awesome! Thanks for the pic, Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Ha! That's awesome! Thanks for the pic, Burt
    That is awesome! Very cool.

They have been playing together since Mats was 10 and Morgan was 14...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I know next to nothing about these guys, but their latest - "Shack Tati" is unbelievably amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I know next to nothing about these guys, but their latest - "Shack Tati" is unbelievably amazing.
    Thanks for Flying With Us --- that is still my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Thanks for Flying With Us --- that is still my favorite.
    The only one I have and I love it. Have to get thier other albums ASAP. These guys are simply amazing.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

On Air With Guests is amazing! Such talent. It's been mentioned before but check this out from Morgan Agren and Fredrik Thordendal. Superb drumming ... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwJEvasJlM
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    On Air With Guests is amazing! Such talent. It's been mentioned before but check this out from Morgan Agren and Fredrik Thordendal. Superb drumming ... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwJEvasJlM
    Very tasty....

The live stream from June 26 with mastered sound!!

Has anyone heard how Mats is doing with his hearing? I hadn't seen any updates in a while, but I hope he's gotten better or was able to get some hearing aids that helped him.

He seems to be doing well in the above transmisson.

He seems to be doing well in the above transmisson.
    Oh... Somehow I missed that it was a performance from last June.

My bad.

I love the pilot's speech on the title track.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

From Morgan Ågren today:

Hey all, been a while.. I already did my "last post" a few years ago, but I wanted to send one more update now still. Mats already got the first "regular" pair of in-ears shortly after our trip to Florida in 2018. But yesterday, the main one, the high tech version finally arrived!!! Took us 3 years... Mats got the same type as Brian Johnson and Paul Stanley is using (which is not even on the market yet). Got instructions via facetime from the creator Stephen Ambrose, how to operate and connect them. Will start to tweak and try these asap. Just wanted to let you know this. Thanks again! Fingers crossed!! // Morgan

ps. and while being here.. We are celebrating 40 years anniversary in November, and we just released a BOX of 6 CD's.. Digital version here: https://morganagren.bandcamp.com/alb...ry-box-set-6cd

From Morgan Ågren today:

Hey all, been a while.. I already did my "last post" a few years ago, but I wanted to send one more update now still. Mats already got the first "regular" pair of in-ears shortly after our trip to Florida in 2018. But yesterday, the main one, the high tech version finally arrived!!! Took us 3 years... Mats got the same type as Brian Johnson and Paul Stanley is using (which is not even on the market yet). Got instructions via facetime from the creator Stephen Ambrose, how to operate and connect them. Will start to tweak and try these asap. Just wanted to let you know this. Thanks again! Fingers crossed!! // Morgan

ps. and while being here.. We are celebrating 40 years anniversary in November, and we just released a BOX of 6 CD's.. Digital version here: https://morganagren.bandcamp.com/alb...ry-box-set-6cd
    I wish there was something 'new' in this - it seems like all the previous stuff just repackaged or marketed again with 40 - dont get me wrong - LOVE them but I'm passing on all of it
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    I wish there was something 'new' in this - it seems like all the previous stuff just repackaged or marketed again with 40 - dont get me wrong - LOVE them but I'm passing on all of it
    It looks like 30-ish minutes of previously unreleased material (25 short tracks), unless they have appeared elsewhere?:

41. Vault Soup Medley Vol.2 01:16
    42. Sigfrid live 00:49
    43. Guru Gara 00:30
    44. DeMartinis Car 00:59
    45. Rev7 01:23
    46. Kazu Bell 00:41
    47. Mikke fingers 01:08
    48. Igloo (demo version) 00:50
    49. Deu Deu Deu Ducki-ducki-du 00:10
    50. Kintörnen (Demo version) 00:59
    51. For My Next Number 00:17
    52. Vowels 00:52
    53. Russinläsk live 00:57
    54. Cans and Mystery 00:40
    55. Basement Jam 1981 02:20
    56. Schack Tati unplugged 00:40
    57. I See You (demo version) 03:15
    58. Trash Romantic Land (video version) 03:54
    59. DW6000 00:39
    60. And Now My 01:08
    61. Stupid Bagatelle (demo version) 02:16
    62. Nine and Fine (Mats solo 1980) 02:14
    63. Elka Dacapo (unplugged) 00:46
    64. Unplugged ecologic duo trip 02:42
    65. Han Hänger Med På Den Där Jäveln 00:45

Anyway, a nice package for me, since I've seen them live in France but never got around to owning any. The download was close to 1 GB :-D.

Nice to see this thread resurrected. I've been on a MM kick recently. Just yesterday I was listening to "Music or the Money" and thinking to myself how damn original this band is. No one else sounds anything like them. They have influences sure but no one else can put 'em all together like that. I also gave Schack Tati a few spins. Great compositions! Mesmerizing from start to finish.

I plan to pick up a few more of their CD releases soon. Probably the Live CD will be next. I see on the Bandcamp page there are some additional live releases that may be digital only.

I recently picked up their first album, "trends and other diseases," on cd. I thought it was very good. I'll have to play it again. What stood out for me was the metal moments. It must have been rather unusual for a prog band in 1996 who was not a metal or even prog metal band to incorporate a bit of that. There wasn't a whole lot but just the fact that it was on there at all I find interesting. My only complaint is that it the recording was a bit long so a bit of editing could have improved it a bit. Anyway, I plan on checking out more of them at some point. Very good stuff.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-20-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)