Thread: Another Billy Sherwood tribute album pending!

Another Billy Sherwood tribute album pending!

Light My Fire-Tribute to The Doors.

Will probably get this just for the impressive line up...Emerson, Howe, Wakeman, Downes, Rundgren, Steve Morse, Gillan et al.Hoping the songs arn't exact copies but based on his previous releases hopes arn't high in that regard!

What, it's Tuesday already?

Garage band guitarist: Good news!
    Bassist who knows three notes: What? We got a record contract?
    Garage band guitarist: No, Billy Sherwood's doing a tribute album for us!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I thought this came out a while ago. This was recorded in 2013, and there was this PE thread last summer: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...YES-content%29

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Jim Morrison's Native American spirit guide reacts to the new Doors tribute:

"It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Members of DEEP PURPLE, YES and other rock heroes head for THE DOORS
    Looks like with every new tribute album under his guidance, Billy Sherwood expands both his artistic span and the circle of musicians involved in such a project. Hot on the heels of "Fly Like An Eagle", a tribute To STEVE MILLER BAND, lately the producer has corralled an amazing line-up to celebrate the music of THE DOORS, their songs delivered by the likes of Ian Gillan and Rick Wakeman to name but two of the legends onboard. Previously announced was the participation of Mick Box, and to the date, Sherwood has mixed and revealed the titles and players of most of the tracks from the fifteen he recorded.

Billy Sherwood
    Busy at the moment rehearsing with CIRCA and William Shatner before live appearances to promote the actor’s recent album "Ponder The Mystery" which Sherwood also produced and which features, among others, Robby Krieger and George Duke, it’s very likely that Billy hasn’t finished mixing of THE DOORS’ homage. Yet what’s already there feels teasing to say the least – with members of FOREIGNER, NEKTAR, HAWKWIND, DEEP PURPLE, YES, URIAH HEEP and many other veterans doing their best.

1. Light My Fire – Ian Gillan, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, Billy Sherwood, Ricky Joyce
    2. L.A. Woman – Jimi Jamison, Ted Turner, Patrick Moraz, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    3. Touch Me – Robert Gordan, Jordan Rudess, Nik Turner, Steve Morse, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    4. Love Me Two Times – Lou Gramm, Larry Coryell, Thjis Van Leer, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    5. Love Her Madly – Mark Stein, Mick Box, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    6. Hello, I Love You – Ken Hensley, Roye Albrighton, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    7. Roadhouse Blues – Leslie West, Brian Auger, Rod Piazza, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    8. Crystal Ship – Edgar Winter, Manfred Mann, Chris Spedding, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    9. Soft Parade – Graham Bonnet, Steve Hillage, Chris North, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    10. Spanish Caravan – Eric Martin, Elliot Easton, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    11. Break On Through – Mark Farner, Chick Churhill, Billy Sherwood, Glenn Grossman
    12. Riders On The Storm – Joe Lynn Turner, Tony Kaye, Steve Cropper, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor
    13. Alabama Song/Whiskey Bar – Todd Rundgren, Zoot Horn Rollo, Geoff Downes, Billy Sherwood, Scott Connor

Hope Shattner doesn't go deaf after Sherwood turns the volume to 11.

Jim M. would have adored this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    2. L.A. Woman – Jimi Jamison
    Wow, this has been a while in the soup. Jamison's been gone for a couple of months now, I think.

Waiting for the news next week of a Billy Sherwood tribute album put together by Billy Sherwood.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

this is the end…

3. Touch Me
    Shark jumped.

Thjis Van Leer on "Love Me Two Times"?

"Love me two ti-ee-eye-ee-eye-ee-eye-ee-eye-ee-imes-ey-um-bum-bum."
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    At least he's realized that his original music sucks and no one wants to hear it.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    At least he's realized that his original music sucks and no one wants to hear it.
    You mean like Salieri - or James Last?

Both inexplainably talented next to this dude.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    If a respected and well known member of the international progressive rock community say it, then is a fact! I bought the Prog Collective II CD and regreted it after 10 minutes out of the record store, thankfully the owner of the store was a friend and gave me a credit :-P
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

This is a bit rough on Billy Sherwood, who I actually do consider very talented. Again, I personally consider "The More We Live" as the best song on Union, and "Finally" from The Ladder is also very decent. But it's so weird to listen to his original music -- there's this vibe that he's TRYING to make his music sound like it's been left in the sun too long, oxidized and gone stale. Maybe a lot of it would benefit from a better singer, or a solid collaborator (and not John Wetton, God bless his voice and bass-playing but he's not an A-1 songwriter). As it is, I can sort of listen to Circa: if I'm not concentrating on it in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    or a solid collaborator (and not John Wetton, God bless his voice and bass-playing but he's not an A-1 songwriter). As it is, I can sort of listen to Circa: if I'm not concentrating on it in the slightest.
    ^^^ rediculous statement!!!

^^^ rediculous statement!!!
    As long as it's not greeniculous I'm going with it.

Just listened to several of the tracks and the verdict is .....

The musicians adequately recreate The Doors and even had some flourishes ala Wakeman and Howe, but no one, I mean no one, can recreate the passion of Morrison. All the vocals sound flat, blah, ho hum.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I will pass.