Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pop albums that would appeal a Prog fan (70's, 80's, 90's...)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    For fans of modern sympho-lympho I wholeheartedly recommend these complex pop gems from the toughest 80s:

This is the epic version here, and juzza lokkat'em Lizard'y blowhorns of masculine flesh bliss:
    Communards

And this. The intense dance part between 01:07-01:12 reminds me a bit of Jon, Steve, Robert and Teddy:
    Erasure
    OK, I'll play

I dont think The Communards or Bronski Beat would appeal to Prog fans, although there was a version of the Flamingo's "I Only Have Eyes For You" that was a fantastic cover if a person can put up with jimmy Summerville's annoying falsetto

Erasure is a different story. Vince Clarke is an excellent programmer and music arranger. Certain songs, like "A Little Respect", could appeal to Prog fans if they listen to the songwriting, arrangement, and structure....and Andy Bell is nowhere near annoying as a vocalist

how's that for pooping one's party?

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    How about some prog bands that have great pop songs?

Yes-Owner Of A Lonely Heart
    Genesis-Turn It On Again
    RPWL-Roses
    Toy Matinee-Last Plane Out
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    As long as it's nowhere near hetero poop comin' outta there!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age of Wireless
    Other than "She Blinded me with Science", I consider this a fantastically proggy album and a well kept secret
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Neil Diamond - Jonathan Livingston seagull.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Neil Diamond - Jonathan Livingston seagull.
    That's one of two Diamond albums I have. The other, which I would recommend, is Tap Root Manuscript, an album that probably showcases his African roots better than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    OK, I'll play

I dont think The Communards or Bronski Beat would appeal to Prog fans, although there was a version of the Flamingo's "I Only Have Eyes For You" that was a fantastic cover if a person can put up with jimmy Summerville's annoying falsetto

Erasure is a different story. Vince Clarke is an excellent programmer and music arranger. Certain songs, like "A Little Respect", could appeal to Prog fans if they listen to the songwriting, arrangement, and structure....and Andy Bell is nowhere near annoying as a vocalist

I suppose I'm not a prog fan, considering I like some Bronski Beat and Communards and I rather hear Jimmy Summerville than Jon Anderson.

Sorry to poop your party.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I suppose I'm not a prog fan, considering I like some Bronski Beat and Communards and I rather hear Jimmy Summerville than Jon Anderson.

Sorry to poop your party.
    Well, I never said that Jon Anderson couldn't be annoying either

Avoid Bronski Beat at all costs!!! Everything that was wrong with the 80's!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I disagree. Well, I partially disagree. The first Bronski Beat album was excellent, in large part due to Jimmy Sommerville’s contribution. It’s a heart-wrenching plea for respect and acceptance (especially “Smalltown Boy” and “Why”). Later albums/singles veered into generic, throwaway club music, though I have to give a reluctant thumbs-up to this one, just for the campy John Waters-referencing lyrics (it was written for Divine, but he died before he could record his vocal) and the guest spot by the incomparable Eartha Kitt:

Erasure are fine, but they were a lot more sanitized and puppy-dog friendly, with the odd early-installment-weirdness exception (like “The Circus”).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    I did like some of Bronski beat, but wasn't fond of anything Jimi Somerville did after leaving the band.

Worthy of a mention is BB's rendition of the Gershwin standard "It Ain't Necessarily So". It probably belongs in "WTF Covers", but it's also quite a clever re-imagining of the song.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 11-03-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    And I never even knew Jane (Relf) did albums on her own. Are you sure she did??
    No, she had a single ("Without a Song From You" b/w "Make My Time Pass By" from 1971), otherwise she was on albums by Renaissance, Illusion, Stairway, and Renaissance Illusion. A lot of people probably regard those albums as prog so mentioning her was probably inappropriate.
    Jane's Renaissance: The Complete Jane Relf Collection, 1969-1995 is a good 2-CD collection of many of her performances (if you can find it).
    Last edited by Burley Wright; 11-02-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I did like some of Bronski beat, but wasn't fond of anything Kimi Somerville did after leaving the band.

Worthy of a mention is BB's rendition of the Gershwin standard "It Ain't Necessarily So". It probably belongs in "WTF Covers", but it's also quite a clever re-imagining of the song.
    Yeah, some good singles & The Communards too!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned Paul Simon, Gino Vanelli, October Project and Joe Jackson. Besides me no one has mentioned Todd Rundgren either.
    Well those fine artists are big names the OP likely already knows of, and many other big names have been mentioned. I kind of assumed that he wanted artists he hadn't heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    How about Oingo Boingo?

Jon Neudorf
    Not sure if Echo and the Bunnymen has been mentioned.

Regards,
    Jon

Well, seeing as prog doesn't have a definition, and how most members here consistently list pop albums in various "prog" lists I would suggest that you just listen to as many different "pop" bands as you can, and then continue listening to the ones you like.

Prog doesn't exist.

90's: The first two Smashing Pumpkins albums -- Gish and Siamese Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    How about some prog bands that have great pop songs?

Yes-Owner Of A Lonely Heart
    Genesis-Turn It On Again
    RPWL-Roses
    Toy Matinee-Last Plane Out
    Know them all, have them all, but thanks for the input anyways friend!
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Other than "She Blinded me with Science", I consider this a fantastically proggy album and a well kept secret
    I must be a real snob then, to me "Science" isnt even on the album

That said, yes Golden Age of Wireless is a damn classic, one of my favorite albums ever, and the 2011 remaster with the original running order + the B-sides and singles is essential.

Anyway, I would recommend the entire discography of Yellow Magic Orchestra, particularly BGM, Technodelic, and Naughty Boys
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I must be a real snob then, to me "Science" isnt even on the album
    According to Wikipedia, that would depend upon which version of the album you have.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

glad that people are mention city boy i own all their 7 albums,big fan of them back in the 70s

and has someone mention the sparks yet,their 70s albums are great i think

Gino Vanelli:
    Crazy Life
    Powerful People
    Storm at Sunup
    The Gist of the Gemini
    A Pauper in Paradise
    Brother to Brother