Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Bruce RIP

Jack Bruce RIP

Jack Bruce's death has been announced on his website.

http://www.jackbruce.com/

A huge loss to music, make no mistake. Some of the very first music I responded to growing up was his as part of Cream. I know he had his problems with health over the years but still no age. RIP.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-25-2014 at 11:01 AM.

I'm speechless. RIP

The worst news in a long while. Oh no . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

One of my favorites of all time. RIP Mr. Bruce.

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

He was a great talent. This is sad.

Terrible news!

Very sad news !

Holy shit. RIP
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

By some strange coincidence just an hour ago I was "playing" the Cream reunion concert from 2005 in my head. Strange... Now I come home and see this. Then again Jack was often on my mind - his voice, his bass playing, his songwriting... all top notch. And he was one of the few veterans from whom you could still expect new albums worthy of his legendary past. The loss is all the greater. Very sad day.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

^ ^ ^ ^
    Very sorry to read this. Thank you for telling me.

And thanks to Aymeric for saying what I could not put into words.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I didn't even know he was ill. Now I really regret missing a chance to see him when he swung through Seattle last year.

Goes without saying, I suppose, but I always figured Ginger would be the first to go.

RIP.

^I can hardly believe that either. It's sobering to note that Baker is the only member left of BBM, if anybody remembers that project.

Jack Bruce as a vocalist had that marvellous quality of bringing gravitas to everything he ever sang. As a musician, he had few equals.

never liked his stuff much, but WHAT an artist. an entire generation of greats is heading for the exit door and one can only hope that it happens as painless as possible. RiP.

Sad news.What a distinctive voice,what a masterful instrumentalist and composer.

Thanks for the music.

R.I.P. Jack Bruce
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    What a distinctive voice,what a masterful instrumentalist and composer.
    Yes to all three.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This one hurts. Not just an exceptional artist but an important one.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Yeah, these older guys are passing all the time, but this one really hurts. Bruce was one of a kind, no doubt. And for me it was his solo career, especially between about 1970-90, that I was most fond of. He did a string of incredible albums.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Another legend gone... R.I.P.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

very sad. Thank you for giving the Bass a front row presence in the band, Mr Jack Bruce. Thank you for your music! RIP.

BUMMER!

Another legend leaves us.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have all of his official stuff, and all of his collabs with Trower, Leslie West..This summer I bought his new CD in London, but hadn't listened yet.
    Favorites are his first two albums, Songs For A Tailor, Harmony Row..
    Love his stuff in Cream. Great loss. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I'm speechless. RIP
    Yeah, me too. This is a big one for sure.

I know Jack had been ill for a long time, but somehow felt he would manage to rise above it. As Mo said, this one really hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Songs For A Tailor, Harmony Row.
    Great LPs, as progressive as anything in Prog (and usually more so). Terrific playing and absolutely exquisite songcraft. I personally rate them higher than Cream's albums, as much as I dig those.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 10-25-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Terrible news!!! A great loss indeed RIP Jack

I don't know much about him as a musician except for Cream, but I think that it's safe to say that his legacy would be secure if he had done nothing else. R.I.P.