Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Jack Bruce RIP

I've been reading Bruce's biography over the last few days. Also listening to a lot of his music. He was beyond any doubt one amazing composer and musician, although not everything he touched was gold.

AFAIC the run of solo albums from SFAT up through JSJ is one of the greatest bodies of work of the 1970s.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I'm reading Composing Myself as well, a great read. So talented. Jack went his own path, which is not an easy way to go in life.
    He left us with so much great music. Jack inspired my bass playing. I still have my 71 EB3. I think about him a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    AFAIC the run of solo albums from SFAT up through JSJ is one of the greatest bodies of work of the 1970s.
    Notwithstanding the fact that SFaT is '69, and only knowing his albums through OoTS, I'm inclined to agree.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I watched the documentary when it was repeated here after his death. His formative years don't appear to have been easy, even when in music school.

One of my favourites is 'As You Said', a quite mesmerising piece of music but often overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Notwithstanding the fact that SFaT is '69, and only knowing his albums through OoTS, I'm inclined to agree.
    Yah, I'm speaking in ballpark terms.

Composing Himself is a good read, although I guess I've read better biographies (I've found at least one glaring factual error so it seems likely that there would be more). It does answer a few of the questions I've always had about Mr. Bruce and it makes it a bit clearer why his career never reached the level of popularity enjoyed by Mr. Clapton.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin