Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New "UK" line-up announced at Eddie's site.-WOW!

New "UK" line-up announced at Eddie's site.-WOW!

Marc Bonilla,Alex Machacek,Billy Sherwood,Virgil Donati and Eddie Jobson. This should be an amazing combo. For the first time iirc, 2 guitar players.

...you need at least two guitar player doing fast interlocking to get to a decent Allan Holdsworth......

Good musicians, beyond a doubt. But to me, this is not UK - it's a UK cover band of A-list players.
    And maybe the version who toured and played at NF earlier this year weren't really, either - but they did include the entire rock contingent (Jobson and Wetton). Considering that the jazz contingent (Bruford and Holdsworth) are uninterested or unavailable, that was probably OK.

To me, a cover band by definition has no members of the real band. Since Eddie has made the decision to ask these guys to play with him I have no problem with him calling it UK. Thousands of other bands have done this and even worse,so no matter what he calls it,the music should smoke. Donati on drums will be a major treat for the drummers at least. Bonilla and Machacek are incredible players. Billy Sherwood is no slouch either. Nektar doesn't hire slouches to play with them and neither would Eddie Jobson.

Wow...I am STUNNED! AWESOME!

I just realized...everyone in this band sings!
    Last edited by Arkangel3; 12-12-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Addition...
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's really "The Eddie Jobson Band" at this stage, interesting line-up though.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Marc Bonilla,Alex Machacek,Billy Sherwood,Virgil Donati and Eddie Jobson. This should be an amazing combo. For the first time iirc, 2 guitar players.
    FWIW, when UKZ played at the Town Hall in January 2009, both Machacek and Minneman played guitar during two songs (Houston & Larks' Tongues In Aspic). Trey Gunn's Warr guitar stint with UKZ and UZ could also be considered as a second guitarist. With Bonilla, Machacek and Sherwood, there is the potential of three guitars on stage.

Bonilla played bass and took care of vocals during his stint with Jobson's UZ Project at Zappanale in 2011, so he would probably be repeating that role for the upcoming Jobson Four Decades Retro Tour. Sherwood most probably take care of some of the singing, backup vocals, guitar, bass and maybe keyboards while Jobson plays the violin. Having both Bonilla and Sherwood will give Jobson a lot of flexibility on the songs to be performed.

Tickets for the NYC show, 19th April 2013, will go on sale this coming Friday the 14th at noon EST.

More information at the Highline Ballroom website.

Wow, didn't expect that. Was lucky enough to catch UK on their recent European tour and really enjoyed. After seeing them with Wetton it's a bit disappointing to see such a big change in the line-up, but it does look like a very impressive group of musicians. If Bonilla is the lead vocalist and Sherwood sticks to backing vocals I think this should work. I hope there will be more European dates.

No Jo(h)n, no UK!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    I hope there will be more European dates.
    According to Jobson, there will be no European dates this time.

The title of this thread is misleading. Jobson has not stated that the line-up stated above is a new UK line-up. The line-up with Bonilla, Donati, Machacek and Sherwood is part of a band supporting Jobson's "Four Decades Retro Tour". Some songs from the Green Album are being considered to be played by this line-up.

The almost UK line-up that will be playing at the Cruise To the Edge (Bozzio, Jobson, Machacek and Wetton), might play a few dates in Florida and Panama after the cruise and before the Baja Prog Fest where Jobson will formally start his "Four Decades Retro Tour".

Yes, indeed. This is - as has been noted - not UK but a Jobson solo Band. EJ has suggested that after the UK/solo tours he will possibly embark on writing for UKZ. Be interesting to see who will be in that group this far down the line.
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Corbie View Post
    Yes, indeed. This is - as has been noted - not UK but a Jobson solo Band. EJ has suggested that after the UK/solo tours he will possibly embark on writing for UKZ. Be interesting to see who will be in that group this far down the line.
    Now that I'm interested in, I liked the UKZ EP, if he's exploring that ground with new material, I'll be very happy.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

my head is spinning trying to keep track of all these acronyms. what's next ZUK, KU, ZU?
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Eddie Jobson ZUK's !!
    Ian

It just occurred to me that Billy Sherwood can be the band's liaison to PE!

Wait,..

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Sherwood doesn't belong in the same sentence with the rest of those guys.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    ...you need at least two guitar player doing fast interlocking to get to a decent Allan Holdsworth......
    Alex Machacek is up to the job with no assistance. It may be argued that he may not be as original as Holdsworth, but technically he is up to the job.

He is a phenomenal fusion guitarist.

I wouldn't mind at all if this is the lineup that will be at Baja Prog.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Alex Machacek is up to the job with no assistance. It may be argued that he may not be as original as Holdsworth, but technically he is up to the job.

Well then...git on over to BajaProg's Facebook page for the latest announcement. Your wish has been fulfilled...

"Eddie is pleased to announce the line-up for the tour of 2013, including its appearance in the Baja Prog festival. EJ will be joined on stage by Marc Bonilla, Alex Machacek, Billy Sherwood and Virgil Donati."

WOW!!! This is gonna smoke!

Billy Sherwood, making a play to participate in every prog band ever created.

This does sound like a very interesting lineup.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post

Big fan of Holdsworth, but I agree that Machacek is up for the job with no need for assistance.

As I stated on post #11, Bonilla, Donati, Jobson, Machacek and Sherwood is the line-up playing at the Baja Prog Fest.
    Last edited by enpdllp; 12-12-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Tickets for the NYC show, 19th April 2013, will go on sale this coming Friday the 14th at noon EST.

[/B][/URL].
    Tickets for the Yes April 9th Beacon NYC show also go on sale this Friday.

Someone ain't getting a x-mas present!
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

An impressive line-up, but I really wish he would get going on some new material.

neil

Banned
    I'd kill to see any of "The Green album" played live. Are there official tour dates for this? I agree- not really UK, but the band line-up is huge!

Jobson's still trying to milk the UK thing, huh?