Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New "UK" line-up announced at Eddie's site.-WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Billy Sherwood, making a play to participate in every prog band ever created.
    It's funny 'cause it's true! He may be working on a "Tribute to Jobson" cd as we speak! lol

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I'd kill to see any of "The Green album" played live. Are there official tour dates for this? I agree- not really UK, but the band line-up is huge!
    Same here. The Green Album is a top 5 all-time CD for me, just always hit me just right. I was ecstatic when he weaved in some bits of the album in his solos in his previous concerts...I would love to hear some of the other songs on there. Jobson has said before he is not singing anymore, so maybe we will get Sherwood belting out "Turn it Over" or "Listen to Reason"!

Apparently this is a career retrospective tour, so hopefully we will also hear Zappa's "Black Napkins" and something from Tull as well.

I've only seen this one NYC date so far. Would like to know if there will be a Philly date before taking the plunge on the NY tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Jobson's still trying to milk the UK thing, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I'd kill to see any of "The Green album" played live. Are there official tour dates for this? I agree- not really UK, but the band line-up is huge!
    To clarify again, Jobson is not billing this as UK. Its billed as a solo tour.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    i think he's milking UK for as much as it can go, imo they/he needs freash new challenging material to expand the UK music repetoire.
    "Milking UK" seems an odd description to me. He stayed away from the band for decades and did other stuff. He has recently come back to it and played a fairly small number of shows. And this tour in 2013 isn't a UK tour. He's moving away from UK after the cruise show.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Sherwood doesn't belong in the same sentence with the rest of those guys.
    Agreed.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Billy Sherwood, making a play to participate in every prog band ever created.
    Seems that John Wetton used to hold that distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Seems that John Wetton used to hold that distinction.
    And have drums will travel Bruford before him

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A bit too much of a chops-oriented lineup than I'd prefer, but I'm sure I won't be able to resist going if they swing by here. Is there a list of venues someplace yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    "Milking UK" seems an odd description to me. He stayed away from the band for decades and did other stuff. He has recently come back to it and played a fairly small number of shows. And this tour in 2013 isn't a UK tour. He's moving away from UK after the cruise show.

Henry

It seems people just aren't reading your posts anymore, Henry.

This isn't a UK tour.

Yes is working on a new album.

Etc., etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A bit too much of a chops-oriented lineup than I'd prefer
    Jeez, who do you want, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards?! What's up with prog fans today?!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A bit too much of a chops-oriented lineup than I'd prefer
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Jeez, who do you want, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards?! What's up with prog fans today?!
    I'm with him, I'm not a fan of chops for chops sake, it's got to have feel.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I agree that it's got to have feel. Do chops negate feel? I don't see any "chops for chops' sake" guys in that lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I agree that it's got to have feel. Do chops negate feel?
    Not necessarily, but I've heard plenty of bands where it is the case.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've seen everyone in this lineup (except Sherwood) multiple times.

I completely disagree that any of these guys are 'chops for chops sake' players.

Donati and Machacek play at a jazz club in LA all the time. I've seen them play together and with other musicians as well. I have no problems getting 'feel' out of their playing. Their high level of chops and musical knowledge enables them to convey 'feel' in a greater number of ways.

Edit: No Pride beat me to it.

You are clearly more familiar with these players than I am so I'll accept your position. I saw The Aristocrats this year & the had chops to die for but masses of feel & humor. Best gig of the year for me.
    Ian

I saw The Aristocrats this year & the had chops to die for but masses of feel & humor. Best gig of the year for me.
    See, we're on the same page! I don't dig "chops as a means to an end" players or bands either, but I just don't like the dismissive attitude of anybody BECAUSE they have chops. Chops are just a part of the package for the complete musician. I don't really care about mega chops (although some of my favorite players happen to have them), but show me a musician who has little in the way of chops and I'll show you a limited musician. Chops, feel, melodicism, emotion, humor, the ability to listen and react, these are all things I want to hear in a player... and a band.

Marc Bonilla has plenty of feel. I've listened to the Keith Emerson band and "chops" is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Bonilla's playing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Marc Bonilla has plenty of feel. I've listened to the Keith Emerson band and "chops" is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Bonilla's playing.
    anyone who has seen Bonilla with the Danny Seraphine will know Bonilla isn't a "Chops for Chops sake" kind of guy.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Good musicians, beyond a doubt. But to me, this is not UK - it's a UK cover band of A-list players.
    And maybe the version who toured and played at NF earlier this year weren't really, either - but they did include the entire rock contingent (Jobson and Wetton). Considering that the jazz contingent (Bruford and Holdsworth) are uninterested or unavailable, that was probably OK.
    You are starting to sound like me, I would take cover.

This tendency to ponder whether or not some particular line-up is a "real" version of a band is really less about music and more about celebrity.
    The Mighty Megalosaurus
    Tree Pusher, WESAYSO Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by NotTheMama View Post
    This tendency to ponder whether or not some particular line-up is a "real" version of a band is really less about music and more about celebrity.
    I'd say it's more about History and Authenticity.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'd say it's more about History and Authenticity.
    I don't think it is, really. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for celebrities too. But to take Yes, for instance: don't you think that music would sound a lot better with Nick D' Virgilio or Dave Kerman playing drums? Neither played on the records, but either would sure as heck give that music the energy it has lacked in recent years. And really, Tom Brislin is the best keys player they've had in recent years, plus he can sing the high harmonies in tune. But everybody knows you can draw a bigger crown with original members. If the music is not as good as it could be, where's the authenticity in that? If it's because they're the real guys, then it's really about celebrity.
    The Mighty Megalosaurus
    Tree Pusher, WESAYSO Corp.

Where is Terry Bozzio?
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Where is Terry Bozzio?
    This is an Eddie Jobson solo tour: there's no particular reason Bozzio should be there. You should be asking where is Michael Barsimanto?!

Henry

It's really "The Eddie Jobson Band" at this stage, interesting line-up though.
    You are absolutely right. Billy Sherwood says it's: Eddie Jobson "Four Decades Tour". So, I was incorrect to say it was UK.