Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New PFM Project 'Il suono del tempo'

chalkpie
    This looks nifty - how tight are they these daze?

Saw them last spring in Chicago and they were exceedling tight and wildly entertaining.

Listening on Spotify and really enjoying this. I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing live versions of La Luna Nuova.

Are any of the "usual suspects" (Laser's Edge, Wayside Music, Greg Walker) going to be stocking these releases?

Wayside has the BBC box, so I imagine they'll carry this, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Had my first spin and it's pretty impressive

Been playing a lot of live PFM lately, (the BBC discs, 10 anni live, and the complete Live in USA) and these guys haven't lost much of their edge

Perhaps a tad cleaner playing, but every bit as intense - interesting new takes on a few sections as well

The choir is a nice touch!

Looking forward to the others

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    A mere $6 for the MP-3's of this on Amazon

This is the 98th PFM title in my library, (includes boots), but looking forward to breaking the century mark with the future ones

I will listen and comment over the weekend

BG
    So, I take it you're a fan of the band?

Just did a round two and this one is VERY highly recommended

Faithful yet completely different - you will notice different takes on many sections, tasty as all get out

Still a monster live

What will be interesting is that this is 1 of 5, and the 5th is World Became, which includes these songs sung in English - curious to hear the arrangements

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    So, I take it you're a fan of the band?
    Something like that : )

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Looking forward to the disc arriving, nice to hear early positive reviews!

I am also a huge PFM fan with many titles but I sure don't have 98! For one thing, I don't have the three 80's releases that fall between Suonare Suonare and Ulisse, as I have no desire for them. I also don't have any boots but maybe I'll check those out some day as I do love PFM live.

Brian Griffin, do you have the Amico Faber boxed set? I got that from Synphonic, as it was a different way of getting the A.D. 2010 album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I am also a huge PFM fan with many titles but I sure don't have 98! For one thing, I don't have the three 80's releases that fall between Suonare Suonare and Ulisse, as I have no desire for them. I also don't have any boots but maybe I'll check those out some day as I do love PFM live.
    Those studio ones are pretty much the epitome of "completest only"

As to the boots, there is SO much official stuff out there that they're largely superseded IMO

A couple of 70's FM's from Ultrasonic Studios and Ebbets Field, both 1974 shows are worthwhile

Houston 77 is also good, though it doesn't sound as good and is also FM

Lanzetti has some Jon Anderson like intros on that one - some serious hippie speak

Some good audies are around but with 10 anni live, cook, the two BBC's I don't spin them anymore

With the 90's onward as you'd expect there are lots of good audie DATS, but again, with better official stuff why bother?

PFM doesn't seem to have fudged around with their live releases from a post show doctoring perspective, FWiW

Brian Griffin, do you have the Amico Faber boxed set?
    Yes!

It's cool, although pretty far from my favorites

I wasn't as thrilled with AD 2010 as many PFM fans seem to be

BG

Some good audies are around but with 10 anni live, cook, the two BBC's I don't spin them anymore
    Yeah I do have a good amount of live PFM, including the Live In Japan 2002, Piazza Del Campo, Canta De André, Live In Roma (w/Ian Anderson)... those are some titles I don't see widely discussed but I like most of them.

I wasn't as thrilled with AD 2010 as many PFM fans seem to be
    Nor I. But I absolutely loved In Classic.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah I do have a good amount of live PFM, including the Live In Japan 2002, Piazza Del Campo, Canta De André, Live In Roma (w/Ian Anderson)... those are some titles I don't see widely discussed but I like most of them.
    Yes, I didn't list the post 77 ones you filled in above - there are also "Celebration Day" "www.PFM.PFM.IT" and the soundtrack to Lugano 2013 and I still feel like I'm forgetting one or two

Scads of great, official releases

Nor I. But I absolutely loved In Classic.
    A MAJOR return to form, and the Satellite broadcast is one of my favorite DVD's

BG

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have to grumble a bit - $8 U.S. shipping so I paid $44 Canadian for this one. Still, I'll likely get as much mileage from one PFM disc compared to 2 others.

Looks very promising and I'm tempted, but do they play the full opening track ( "L'Isola di Niente/The Mountain") at last ? I have plenty of PFM live recordings (including the 10 years 1971-1981 live boxset) and allways wondered why they never played that track, which is one of my favourite (it is also mising from the recent Esoteric BBC recordings). Maybe the opening choir section was an issue ? Then they could have used a prerecorded tape for that short intro. The absence of Flavio Premoli in this project is regrettable, his contribution to the PFM sound was essential, IMO
    It is also very frustrating that PFM suffers from the worst distribution I've ever seen and this is again the case with their latest above, which is only available from a small specialized shop. Most of their releases since the early 2000's (Dracula, Stati, AD2010,...) are very hard to get (at least in Europe) and some of them not even mentioned on their (official) website ! These guys are still active and are producing great music but it looks they are not really interested in distributing and selling their records. The most obscure prog band has a far better website and worldwide distribution. Very strange, but maybe someone here knows the reasons...
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-03-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Looks very promising and I'm tempted, but do they play the full opening track ( "L'Isola di Niente/The Mountain") at last ?
    Yes, it's 11 minutes long and includes the choral intro.

Brian Griffin, do you have the Amico Faber boxed set? I got that from Synphonic, as it was a different way of getting the A.D. 2010 album.
    It's great to see other fans of this amazing band. For me, PFM are so many levels above the Brit Symph bands, but even as crazy a fanboy as I am, having every studio album I know of, I dont have 98 discs
    I did make a compilation CDR of their best songs from the 80s albums. PM me if you'd like a copy. It's all in the vein of the Suonare Suonare tunes.

the soundtrack to Lugano 2013 BG
    this is a new one to me... what is it like?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

As to the boots, there is SO much official stuff out there that they're largely superseded IMO
    How about that 1979 period, around the time of the de Andre live albums, but pre-Suonare? There's some good live videos of them in this era, playing stuff I don't think they ever played again before or after, including a cover of "Eleanor Rigby." I wish someone would release a good live recording from that era. Most PFM members did a lot of session work around this period too.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    this is a new one to me... what is it like?
    It is with the orchestra - akin to disc one of In Classic

Great stuff

BG

This thread, and some of the other PFM ones going around here, have prompted me to go on a PFM tear. I just picked up the reissue of Cook (especially since I never got around to downloading the full thing) and Chocolate Kings. I'm really eyeing up Un'Isola as well (really, this whole series intrigues me)- I never got around to buying the original studio album (I have most of it from compilations/greatest hits). Oh yeah, and Paper Charms too...

They're such an amazing band.

This arrived today from Italy. Listening now and it sounds great! The opening choir is not quite as epic and commanding as on the original album but it's still nice to hear.

This was the coupon I found inside the CD:

pfmcd.jpg

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This might be the part to be slightly wary of:

"...to be collected in an elegant box called "Il suono del tempo".

Makes me think of Jon Anderson's vapor box.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I see you can download the whole album from Amazon for just $5.99. That might be a good way to go.

This is an interesting project, and I'm sure PFM can still do great versions of all this material, but why bother with those English-language albums? Other than 1 track ("Old Rain") from Photos of Ghosts, they're basically the same songs as what's on the Italian albums, often identical instrumentation-wise. "Il Banchetto" is exactly the same on Per un Amico and Photos of Ghosts. Full renditions of Chocolate Kings, Jet Lag, and/or Passpartu would have been much more interesting (especially if the vocals were less obtrusive than Lanzetti's), though I guess I'm one of the few people who cares about Passpartu.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I much prefer the Italian language albums by PFM. I guess the new one has mainly English tracks. I didn't check the track listing until after I bought the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    Saw them last spring in Chicago and they were exceedling tight and wildly entertaining.
    I was also there last spring with my friend Mr. B. P. Keys.

This gig was a one-off tune up right before their pruise (prog cruise). They put on a show as if they were playing to 10,000. There were disgustingly only 50 people there tops.

One of the best nights of music for me in a while. District 97 opened.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Had a very good time spining this and Paper Charms.

And only 10 days to the next one ( which is about 10 days to long for me )