Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV is About to Experience What the Music Industry Already Has

TV is About to Experience What the Music Industry Already Has

OK, it's not a perfect analogy but the Internet is already wreaking havoc among the status quo of broadcast networks and cable providers. And now HBO is about to really muddy the waters.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peterlauria/...edding-is-here

Like it or not, America's way of viewing TV has changed dramatically and now the carnage is about to begin.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

As screwy as all that is, the burger on that page with the chicken patties for a bun is even more screwy. I'm reminded of the Doublemeat Palace.

Dish and DirecTV both pis me off with their lousy equipment. I'd also love to get rid of about 200 channels of spit(to paraphrase Roger Waters) like QVC and all those religious channels. 18 was the number in the article that most people watch regularly and that sounds about right. There has to be a better way but hell if I know what it is.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    To me, cable TV isn't worth paying for unless there are no commercials whatsoever. I am told this is not the case. So I have only broadcast TV. I'm still angry that most sports is now only available to see on cable. If it comes down to it, I can live without TV. I really have no desire to watch TV on my computer.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ you don't watch on your computer, you watch on a wifi enabled TV or DVD OR BLU RAY PLAYER AND TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    OK, it's not a perfect analogy but the Internet is already wreaking havoc among the status quo of broadcast networks and cable providers. And now HBO is about to really muddy the waters.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peterlauria/...edding-is-here

Like it or not, America's way of viewing TV has changed dramatically and now the carnage is about to begin.
    Yes, it's glorious. The book publishing industry is going through it too.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000
    you don't watch on your computer, you watch on a wifi enabled TV or DVD OR BLU RAY PLAYER AND TV.
    You do what your income allows, with whatever aged electronics you have.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Oh, I only watch old Quincy and Magnum P.I. episodes on YTube anyway.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think most consumers are fed up with their cable, but it's about the only game in most cities. Smaller cities don't have much competition, and they don't offer very different packages, so you always have to pick up more that you watch. I could dump half my channels and be happy. I probably only watch around maybe ten. When we were more or less forced to go to digital, I thought it was going to be bend over the barrel time. A lot of the channels like TCM won't allow you to tape off their channel anymore (at least with a VCR, don't know about a DVR), and more may follow that too. I checked on a TIVO down at Best Buy today, and the guy said you could only use it "if" you stayed with Suddenlink, which I didn't know. So...

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    You do what your income allows, with whatever aged electronics you have.
    Just saying I don't think that many people sit at a desk and watch TV. A laptop would do too .

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Do you get rebuffering issues with the internet feed?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I'm still angry that most sports is now only available to see on cable. .
    Not in my neighborhood. Around here, broadcast TV programs are still being pre-empted because the NFL can't figure out how to play a grand total of 10 minutes of football in the space of three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Do you get rebuffering issues with the internet feed?
    Rarely.

We got a pretty fat pipe here. Only if we try to go high def on Amazon Prime do we get buffering issues. I've noticed that the networks are getting smarter about online content. It used to be you were hosed if you missed an episode. Now even the CW has entire episodes of shows online.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was sitting there watching Person of Interest on cbs.com and waiting for a block of ads to finish when one of the ads hung up. After waiting a few minutes I refreshed the window and it started up again, only it went back to the beginning of the block of ads. It thought to myself this is something that doesn't happen with normal TV.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    There has to be a better way but hell if I know what it is.
    Let me know when you figure it out. I hate broadcast TV (20 minutes of ads every half hour) and I hate cable TV (10 minutes of ads every half hour). Every once in a while there's a program I can endure, but 9-times-out-of-10 when I sit down to flip channels I end up flipping the switch off after not finding ANYTHING in 600 channels of options (which is a laff -- 400 of them are QVC, pay-per-view, Mexican soap operas and local government meetings, and 100 are religious wackos). Cable companies must make BILLIONS carrying all that "paid programming" then charging us customers $120-200 per month for the privilege!

We've got AT&T U-verse, which I guess technically isn't cable, I forget what type of service it's actually called. But anyway, it's not bad. The problem is they have a tendency to occasionally "lose" the signal, which can be frustrating in the middle of a program. And the DVR acts weird at times. But overall, it's not too bad. My main gripe is they can't figure out how to rig the DVR so that say if Thursday Night Football runs over (and it always does), it doesn't actually start recording Letterman until Letterman actually begins, instead of recording at the start of it's time slot (which usually means I get like 20-30 minutes of local news, followed by the first half of Letterman).

We DVR everything to watch without ads and I often DvR sports and start watching an hour after kickoff to catch up by the end.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I've been off the cable TV grid for a while now. Being in the Boston market, we have a strong "over the air" offering. About 35 channels digitally broadcast in HD including multiplexed offerings (ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS, etc all offer multiple channels over the air featuring 24/7 movies & classic TV).

I picked up a Tivo Roamio "over the air" tuner/DVR on eBay with a lifetime guide subscription for a SONG and it's pretty slick. It tracks your DVR shows and catches them even if they are pre-empted AND bundles all the online providers like Netflix, Hulu +, Amazon Instant Video, Pandora, etc, etc. Like I said, pretty slick.

Comcast was bilking me out of $8 a month alone just to "lease" their shitty modem, so I picked up my own modem with over 300MBs of head-room and sprung for the 105MBs internet service which is more than ample for streaming 1080p video without a hiccup. Paid for itself within 3 months.

I also run XBMC on my Mac Mini and can watch virtually anything if I'm willing to put in the effort to search for it.

Up in the bedroom, AppleTV and my HD antenna do the trick.

My cable bill used to be more than my first brand-new car payment! Now I have anything I want to watch at my fingertips for around $65 a month.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I only have a satellite feed because of the sports I watch. Outside of that, I rarely watch anything on TV, least of all in prime time on US networks. We have a huge library downtown where I can get (with a little patience sometimes) BluRay copies of all the TV shows I feel are worth watching, for free ( 21 day loan). I'm currently juggling the following: Mad Men Season 7, Boardwalk Empire Season 4, Treme Season 4 (excellent underrated show!). I have the smallest package my satellite provider offers, which cost me about 75.00/month.

I see commercials for shows that the likes of TLC broadcast and I wonder who the fuck is watching this crap?!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I have the smallest package
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I don't get why I pay lots of cash for cable and still cannot have TLC and MTV removed from my channels...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quincy and Tom Selleck are on YT.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Paulie I knew someone would go there!

Rest assured my package provides plenty of entertainment! It doesn't go down when the weather turns either!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

How much a month does it cost for Hulu, Netflicks, Amazon Prime and the like?
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    We DVR everything to watch without ads and I often DvR sports and start watching an hour after kickoff to catch up by the end.
    Me too. Other than sports, just about everything I watch is DVR'd.