Thread: Saw Ian McLagan last night

Saw Ian McLagan last night

A friend and I went to a small club in Somerville, MA, last night to see Ian McLagan, former keyboardist of the Small Faces. What a good time. He played mostly numbers from his solo albums and a few Ronnie Lane numbers. It was just he and a bass player from Austin, Texas, where he's been living for the past 20 years. Between songs he told stories of his days playing with the Boz People (featuring a pre-Crim Boz Burrell) and the Small Faces/Faces and assisting Ronnie near the end of his life. He had no good things to say about former manager Don Arden. Aside from all that, the music was first class and his voice is still clear and expressive. His piano playing was clean with a lot of boogie woogie feel to it. For a guy almost 70 years old, he's still got it and was highly entertaining. Too bad, on a stormy night, there were probably only about 150 people there.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Wow, that must have been really cool. I had no idea he even toured as a solo act.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I only got to see Mac once, playing in El Rayo X with David Lindley. No Small Faces/Faces material that night, but a fun concert. I would love to have seen last night's show.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I Saw him play keyboards for James McMurtry in Leeds (U.K.) a few years ago and while J.M. came across as a cantankerous old bastard, Mr Mclaglan was completely charming. Love to see him play his own gig!

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    I Saw him play keyboards for James McMurtry in Leeds (U.K.) a few years ago and while J.M. came across as a cantankerous old bastard, Mr Mclaglan was completely charming. Love to see him play his own gig!
    I used to see him almost nightly with Steve Marriott at a bar in Pasadena Ca. called The John Bull Pub. They played nightly but not a lick of music.
    Still alive and well...