Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Belew Power Trio Fall 2014?

Adrian Belew Power Trio Fall 2014?

Anyone make it to Adrian Belew Power Trio last night?

I didn't see it, but I just saw an excellent setlist.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I'm seeing him tonight here in VA, very excited
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Judging by setlist.fm there's like 8 songs played including all of E i guess...but i read off AB's facebook that they rehearsed upwards of 28 songs? i'm on the fence about going next week...if they only played those 8 songs i'm definitely not.

They played a TON of songs. Some of the songs were done almost medley style, presumably to ensure they fit everything.

They played great last night. I am in the minority on this, but last night had a certain energy and enthusiasm onstage that was missing at the KC show. Very much IMHO.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Is he playing with the Slick siblings? Saw him with them a couple of years ago and it was pretty great!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    They played a TON of songs. Some of the songs were done almost medley style, presumably to ensure they fit everything.

They played great last night. I am in the minority on this, but last night had a certain energy and enthusiasm onstage that was missing at the KC show. Very much IMHO.
    Thanks! Do you know how long they played?

How was Saul Zonana?

@No Pride - Julie is playing, but the drummer is different.

^
    Thanks!

Cool...probably get a ticket this weekend.

Re: energy & KC2014...there was something far more cohesive to me than it lacking in energy...i mean AB just has that happy-go-luckiness about him that would convince anyone "hey maybe this IS fun"!

Quote Originally Posted by lfisher View Post
    Thanks! Do you know how long they played?

How was Saul Zonana?
    Couple of hours maybe? Ade was having some tech issues so they had to take a quick 10 minute break but otherwise they played through.

Saul....was not my thing. I think he was good at what he did (kind of a singer/songwriter thing with backing tracks)...but I didn't really come away wanting to hear him again. Dude made an "O" face at the crowd every time he jammed out on his gitfiddle, which didn't quite help...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Is he playing with the Slick siblings? Saw him with them a couple of years ago and it was pretty great!
    The drummer was Tobias Ralph, who was also the guy along for the Crimson ProjeKct (and is a damned monster and a half on the skins).

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Cool...probably get a ticket this weekend.

Re: energy & KC2014...there was something far more cohesive to me than it lacking in energy...i mean AB just has that happy-go-luckiness about him that would convince anyone "hey maybe this IS fun"!
    AB is definitely more "seat of the pants" and his willingness to really go out there, even if it means some slips and flubs...it simply was thrilling to watch. And the fact that almost NEVER stops smiling, no matter what. He's just so much fun to see. A wonderful mix of talent and enthusiasm. KC played well and all the players are excellent (and I *did* miss Mastelotto's thunderous grooves last night), but...well, again: I am in the minority in that I was underwhelmed by this KC performance. I was much more engaged last night watching Belew. Which is great; they are both out there doing their respective things, and folks can go enjoy both or either as suits their whims

Oh yeah...one highlight...the crowd went absolutely apeshiat when he busted out "Indiscipline." And it actually became a sing/talk-along by the end. Which was quite zany but also lovely fun.

Can't wait for tonight!

As a teaser for folks: I can't recall everything, but there were tunes from:

Op Zop Too Wah, Inner Revolution, Side One, (e), Twang Bar King, and whatever album Big Electric Cat was from. Oh, and a few tunes from a band he used to jam with for a few years...

There were a couple of "oh wow it's THAT song" for me last night, and always in very good ways.

The posted setlist is probably incomplete but quite intriguing. Includes a song you never thought he'd do, even though he did play on it.

As a teaser for folks: I can't recall everything, but there were tunes from:

Op Zop Too Wah, Inner Revolution, Side One, (e), Twang Bar King, and whatever album Big Electric Cat was from. Oh, and a few tunes from a band he used to jam with for a few years...
    That was from his solo debut, "Lone Rhino."

BTW, I saw the Twang Bar King tour, way back when. That was a great concert!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    That was from his solo debut, "Lone Rhino."
    LOL...yeah, I totally cheezed out. 30 seconds of Google work and I could've been more accurate on that one

LOVED the show tonight in Philly. I was front row center and just amazing to see Adrian do all this stuff. That is a LOT of music.
    If you are on the fence at all, just go!

*SPOILERS*
    That oddball song on the "setlist" did not materialize.
    Though he did have another surprise for us at the end.

IMG_0291.jpg

I figured this was his way of incorporating the whole Flux approach into the live show. A verse & chorus of this, a verse & chorus of that, a bridge of something else, all with random sound snippets in between. Last night there were one or two spots where he also started with a song's middle section and only played from there to the end, and at least one that flew past in a quick 30-second chorus before they switched again.

Honestly it still leaves me ambivalent about Flux itself--the incompleteness of most songs with all the sudden switch-on-a-dime jumps isn't something I want often in normal listening--but it made for one hell of a thrilling show in person.

I am in the minority on this, but last night had a certain energy and enthusiasm onstage that was missing at the KC show.
    I wouldn't say missing, but definitely very different. Crimson's intensity is more cerebral and deliberate. This show hits you more on a visceral level.

Surprisingly he didn't mention FLUX at all!

Though I guess flux is a bit different as the songs are designed as snippets (and there will be some longer songs as well from what I read).

There's also a FLUX app which Belew might have up and running now for the shows via an ipad...was there an ipad amidst his setup?

My understanding of it at the camp is that it's an on the fly sort of pre-programmed multi-effects pedal...that when pressed is completely ad hoc, meaning he'll never know what sound it'll be and he'll have to improv his way through...which is cool/i like the idea of...could be wrong though...

Damn. That's a setlist to travel for. Guess I need to figure out my plans.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    was there an ipad amidst his setup?
    Maybe. All I could see from where I sat (almost in front at stage left) was a laptop screen that was obviously running the looping, but there were a few other things he was reaching down and fiddling with, using both hands and feet. Not sure what it all was.

My understanding of it at the camp is that it's an on the fly sort of pre-programmed multi-effects pedal...that when pressed is completely ad hoc, meaning he'll never know what sound it'll be and he'll have to improv his way through...which is cool/i like the idea of...
    Yeah, there were several points where he and the others were laughing at which sounds popped up. The sounds weren't really the basis for improvs, though, more punctuations for the planned spots when songs would stop and start.

The Boston show didn't have the encore surprise mentioned above, but was terrific otherwise. I believe there were a couple deep solo tracks from the solo catalogue, including a very good title track from a number of years ago. And I will say that at the very end, when he finally played an old favorite all the way through, the crowd went wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Maybe. All I could see from where I sat (almost in front at stage left) was a laptop screen that was obviously running the looping, but there were a few other things he was reaching down and fiddling with, using both hands and feet. Not sure what it all was.

Yeah, there were several points where he and the others were laughing at which sounds popped up. The sounds weren't really the basis for improvs, though, more punctuations for the planned spots when songs would stop and start.
    Cool, seeing him tomorrow night.

will see him, in December. getting excited reading this.