Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wyaside, Ken and Greg Walker, Esoteric and Where else???

The Freak Emporium was a UK mailorder site for LP's which supported a lot of prog during its heyday. The site is relaunched at www.freakemporium.com mostly again for LP's after a seven year outage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Amazon, whatever you may think of the company, is a great marketplace, as is eBay and Discogs. And Wayside and Laser's Edge for that matter too. In the end, I'm looking for music, and at the lowest cost.

I purchased the PFM BBC box from Amazon.co.uk because it was the most inexpensive option for me. Also applies to preorders of Relayer 5.1 and Songs From The Big Chair box!

I've also made a few purchases lately, from Planetgong.co.uk for the new Gong CD I See You and the re-issue of Banana Moon, and Burning Shed for the new Peter Hammill 3CD, because they appear to be exclusive preorders from those sites only. Happy to oblige.

I agree with the comments about Deep Discount. List a lot, ship very little. I used to shop at CD Universe but I can consistently find cheaper prices elsewhere.

I'll save the resale conundrum for another thread...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

music masters worldwide

FOr what it's worth, I just put in my first ever order directly to Import CD's. I've bought a handful of things from them through Amazon's Marketplace for years, but somehow I never realized they had their own website. Anyway, I was poking around found they had an Anthony Braxton multi-disc set for way cheaper than Amazon, even when you factored in the shipping. So we'll see if/when this package shows up and whether or not I'm happy with them in comparison to other sites I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Record Heaven in Sweden. I've been purchasing from them for 20+ years.
    Johnny is a great dude. I'm a customer of his since his printed catalogue (pre-internet) days.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

back in the late 80s-mid 90s (when they carried a lot of LPs) I bought tons of stuff (LP and CD) from ZNR and Greg and Wayside and local record shops in my travels across the country. Once I got up to 5k albums I began to slow down... still haven't caught up with my listening to purchase ratio
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Johnny is a great dude. I'm a customer of his since his printed catalogue (pre-internet) days.
    Me too! Those light-blue folders, right? Remember all the Fonit Cetra- and Contempo-RPI vinyl reissues he had back in '92-97? Who the hell else would even think of carrying those back then - except for obscure dealers in the US, Japan and South-America? A bit sad that he had to put his RH label at rest; they actually released some fine titles, notably Qoph, Last Laugh, Ensemble Nimbus and the debut Gösta Berlings Saga.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A mixed bag of all styles but there's plenty of prog and experimental on here. I've bought several Amy X Neuburg and Katzen Kapells from here and the service is good and the postage charge reasonable. The only place you can download all the Albert Marcoeur albums including the one that's out of print on CD.

what is this "WYASIDE" of which you speak?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They distribute Cnueiromf albums.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

that's what Wyatt Earp committed after the OK Corral
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I believe the clinical/medical term is "brain fart".

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It's run by Phteve S., whose full first name is Phteven (that's "Steven with a 'ph'" when telling someone how to spell his first name).

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    A mixed bag of all styles but there's plenty of prog and experimental on here. I've bought several Amy X Neuburg and Katzen Kapells from here and the service is good and the postage charge reasonable. The only place you can download all the Albert Marcoeur albums including the one that's out of print on CD.
    For some reason the link I put in didn't show up -I was referring to cdbaby.com.

I believe it's a question. And the answer is, "because it's a record, man!"

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    For most of my online shopping I use the Amazon marketplaces. Mostly from the UK and Germany.
    And www.beyondrock.nl + http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/ for Japanese releases since I don't know how to use Diskunion which seems like a great place for Prog:
    http://diskunion.net/progre/

Also Play.com and for movies I use http://dvdpacific.directtoustore.com/
    Also buy from labels, artists and record fairs...
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

http://www.caerllysimusic.co.uk/ Based in Wales, this one carries a large range of prog -not enough avant for me, but lots of bands I've seen mentioned on these pages.

For CDs from Turkey such as prog CDs:

Once or twice I've ordered from tulumba.com based in New York and I think they ship from there. They do have both discounted and regular-priced items --- and their regular-price is less expensive than what I've seen at amazon.com for the same item. It appears they've been in business since 2003. Like some other CD vendors (such as ImportCDs I think), apart from their own site they seem to be additionally selling from an amazon.com account --- but with somewhat higher prices, so I'd visit their own site.

A few useful things to notice when you arrive at their site:

1. They have a search box, if you know the band names already.

2. If you instead want to browse, click on the "Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Anatolian Rock" entry (not the "Progressive" entry) which is located at the "Modern, Western influenced" menu which is located at the "Turkish Music" link at the top of main site. As far as CDs from Turkey carried by US prog vendors, many of them fall under "Anatolian Rock" genre name, so you will be able to find many such CDs (and more) here, but it won't be that easy because "Anatolian Rock" doesn't have its own page (it's bundled together with "Rock, Hard Rock, Metal" into one category).

3. For discounted items, at main page look for the "Discount Store" link somewhere near the center area of the page. After you click it, look for the "Turkish music" link somewhere near the center area of the page. Both are fairly easy to spot. When you arrive at that discounted CD list, you'll notice there are thousands of CDs there but (unlike the menus above) there is no longer any music genre (I think) so it's not going to be easy to find the prog ones among them --- in fact, prog ones will be very rare in this particular list, and so the "Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Anatolian Rock" entry is probably going to be the most convenient for you for this website.

I'd get some musician names and then use the search box --- that's probably the easiest for this site.

Those light-blue folders, right? Remember all the Fonit Cetra- and Contempo-RPI vinyl reissues he had back in '92-97?
    Exactly. That became A4-small magazines later. His on-line catalogue is still among the most diverse. From crust punk to avant prog plus all the nuances of heavy rock; there's something for everyone there...

A bit sad that he had to put his RH label at rest; they actually released some fine titles, notably Qoph, Last Laugh, Ensemble Nimbus and the debut Gösta Berlings Saga.
    Didn't he rename it "Transubstans"? He still carries the torch but in heavy rock realms these days. Sometimes I miss his former "Record Heaven" label's focus in the retro progressive style, but I understand that he is a heavy rock fan and that style is really big in Sweden. You can still find some very fine albums on "Transubstans" i.m.o.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

This Avant & RIO shit is confusing with all the weird words that look like Welsh.

And my first name is spelled Stephen as well, so BACK OFF!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman