Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supertramp - Crime of the Century 40th Ann. Re-issue

Supertramp - Crime of the Century 40th Ann. Re-issue

Suspended
    Great album. But has it ever been out of print or unobtainable? I don't get these "anniversary resissues".

Thanks for the link. Nothing new to see here...

Ha! I would have loved to see Roger Hodgson on tour, he's coming to Switzerland in January. But the ticket prices are absolutely insane, for a halfway decent seat you pay CHF 149, which is around USD 155! I could affort this without problem, but I won't. It's just stupidly insane. For that price, I could buy the whole Supertramp discography on used vinyl!
    Insane, insane, insane.

2nd disc is Live @ Hammersmith show '75

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    That sounds amazing, i love this band, this album is pure brilliance!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975
    How is the sound quality for this concert? I saw Supertramp in early 1976 in an auditorium with fantastic sound. They played all of Crime of the Century and most of Crisis? What Crisis? Great show! I don't know that I need another Crime of the Century. Already have LP and remastered CD.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

One of my fav albums as a teen. Loved it!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Jon Neudorf
    Was and still is one of my favourites.

Regards,
    Jon

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    A perfect art rock album that I loved as a young boy and still do today.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    this has been already released as 'If Everyone Was Listening?' years ago.
    and all of Supertramp's albums were remastered in 2002.

this is probably just the two packaged together.

It'd be interesting if they got Ken Scott to do a 5.1 surround mix (like Bowie did with Ziggy). This is still to this day one of the best sounding albums. One of my personal faves. Love Roger's current touring as well. Go Hodge!

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    this has been already released as 'If Everyone Was Listening?' years ago.
    and all of Supertramp's albums were remastered in 2002.

this is probably just the two packaged together.
    Perhaps so, though for anyone who doesn't have it, the live Hammersmith show is really good. I wonder if this version will be cleaned up a bit more though?

yes, it's a great live cd! but it was recorded for the Crisis tour. and the two together would make a great package since the entire Crime album is performed live. but they could have also included the pre-Crime single Land Ho/Summer Romance as bonus tracks

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    but it was recorded for the Crisis tour.
    Not sure what you mean. Hammersmith was a recording from March 1975 (Believe the CD is incorrectly attributed to Cleveland 1976) on the Crime tour. Crisis was about to be recorded, so the show does include a number of songs from that forthcoming album. AFAIK, there is no available recording from the 1976 Crisis tour (was there one?). There is a 1977 bootleg that sounds pretty good, but it's from the Listening tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    It'd be interesting if they got Ken Scott to do a 5.1 surround mix (like Bowie did with Ziggy). This is still to this day one of the best sounding albums. One of my personal faves. Love Roger's current touring as well. Go Hodge!
    That's my thought too.

Interesting that the announcement of this set referred to Hammersmith 1975 as 'previously unreleased' suggesting that the prior version was 'unauthorized'.

I have boot from venice ca(crisis tour) thats a radio broadcast I think...they are spot on to a scary degree...amazing

Anyone get this yet???

Of all the bands I loved in my pre-teen years, Supertramp is the one that has aged the best to my ears. Having said this, I won't be buying any anniversary editions. The original sound great!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Of all the bands I loved in my pre-teen years, Supertramp is the one that has aged the best to my ears. Having said this, I won't be buying any anniversary editions. The original sound great!
    Not even for the live concert?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Plus one, as they say.

Crime is quite possibly the crown jewel in Ken Scott's career as far as pure sound quality goes, to me anyway. I used it as a reference disc for years. I don't see any indication that they've remixed, remastered or otherwise f**ked with the sound for this reissue which is a good thing. If they want to release it with a live disk as a bonus and new packaging more power to 'em. But it better sound the same.

Suspended
    Interesting - most bands, no matter how popular, have their detractors. You get people who don't care for the Beatles, don't much like Genesis, think Pink Floyd were over-rated, etc. Yet it's rare to encounter anyone who claims not to like Supertramp.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Interesting - most bands, no matter how popular, have their detractors. You get people who don't care for the Beatles, don't much like Genesis, think Pink Floyd were over-rated, etc. Yet it's rare to encounter anyone who claims not to like Supertramp.
    Well, I don't like big chunks of Supertramp but the rest I like a lot, so I guess it still counts. The bits I like tend to be Roger's, but Rick wrote some good tunes as well.