Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Magma!!!!!

New Magma!!!!!

Listening to it for the first time right now! There's a couple bits that seem to be differ from the old version of Rïah Sahïltaahk from the second album, but it's been so long since I've listened to that record, I don't remember a whole lot of the details. Kinda nice to hear Stella and Isabelle's voices applied to this music (if I remember correctly, Stella wasn't yet in the band when the original was recorded).

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    "New"

I will get it at some point but I must admit the impetus for me to do so is quite low.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Worth it!

I bought 5 new cd's and can't stop playing this one

I shouldn't have played it second

Knew better

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    Worth it!

I bought 5 new cd's and can't stop playing this one

I shouldn't have played it second

Knew better
    I played first out of the CD's that came in today's shipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondaqua View Post
    No, that's the next new one!

And they sure look happy in that photo!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

That's three Magma albums (sic) in the past year. I'm happy too!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

They need to get back to the uniform look you see in a lot of the 70's era photos, with everyone in the same black outfit and wearing the Magma badge around their necks. Or if those things are too heavy, they could all just wear matching t-shirts with the Magma logo on it. There was a line on an episode of Burn Notice where Michael explains that one of the reasons military units wear uniforms is that it intimidates the enemy. I think that can be translated to the arts as well, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Well, an album and two EP's I think. Rïah Sahïltaahk is 24 minutes long, sort of the equivalent of an LP side, and I understand the Slag Tanz release to be of similar length.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Three? I know about Rïah Sahïltaah and Slag Tanz, but what's the third one you're referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Three? I know about Rïah Sahïltaah and Slag Tanz, but what's the third one you're referring to?
    I think he's talking about the Radio Bremen thing from 1974 (?) that came out earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Recorded in Gulag Archipelago?

Damn, with all those exclamation marks I somehow thought this was about maybe Steve Willy Wilson mixing Magma and giving 'em the Deluxe Makeover Edition!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, guess I'll check out these EPs anyhow; "Sahïltaahk" always was one of my fave Magma tracks - and a definite proof that they weren't "monotonous". Little if any 'progressive rock' had hitherto been made with this level of sheer lineary elaboration and development in metrics (1971).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Damn, with all those exclamation marks I somehow thought this was about maybe Steve Willy Wilson mixing Magma and giving 'em the Deluxe Makeover Edition!!!!!!!!!
    No, then it wouldn't be "new Magma" it would be "yet another reissue grab for your wallet". Steve Wilson is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Steve Wilson is overrated.
    Go tell the other guy.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Steve Wilson is overrated.
    Most of Magmas albums could need a better sound. Not the mix, perhaps the mastering... but I bought GG: the power & the glory, and musically I prefer the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Most of Magmas albums could need a better sound. Not the mix, perhaps the mastering... but I bought GG: the power & the glory, and musically I prefer the original.
    It's possible that even remastering won't help those records. I've heard it said that the reason a lot of progressive rocks from the classic era sound the way they do is because of the they were recorded.

But I certainly don't have a problem with the sound on Köhntarkösz, Live/Hhaï, Üdü Ẁüdü, Attahk, and Retrospektïẁ III. Inédits is a bit rough with the sound, which I think is derived from the fact that the selections were drawn from two track tapes done off the mixing desk. Merci suffers from all the same things ever other damn record that came out in the mid 80's, ie drum machines, synth bass, and the decision to open the record with an apparent attempt at going mainstream, complete with English lyrics.

I think he's talking about the Radio Bremen thing from 1974 (?) that came out earlier this year.
    Ah yeah, that would make sense.

I forgot about that one.

This new rendition of Riah Sahiltaahk is killer!

I'm pretty unfamiliar with Magma. I decided to check out Rïah Sahïltaahk (Part 1) on YT. I like it but probably for the wrong reason, which is that is sounds like part of a soundtrack to an old b-movie. Still, I do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'm pretty unfamiliar with Magma. I decided to check out Rïah Sahïltaahk (Part 1) on YT. I like it but probably for the wrong reason, which is that is sounds like part of a soundtrack to an old b-movie. Still, I do like it.
    Hm. Most of their output isn't exactly Streets Of San Francisco-style detective jazz, no.

My advise would be to read a bit about them first and then jump at Live Hhaï. Although they effectively gave life to a whole separate genre - Zeuhl - there really wasn't anything quite like them ever. Magma were/are essentially every bit as idiosyncratic (and at times wildly vurtuosic as well) as Zappa, Beefheart, The Residents and other ruthlessly innovative artists within the outer realms of "rock" music.

I'm not even referring to that detective jazz stuff; just weird b-movie music you'd never hear outside of the soundtrack. 'idiosyncratic' is the right button to push for me. According to album ratings at AllMusic, you can't go wrong anywhere in the Magma studio catalog.

Ok, I'll be *that* guy: anyone else curious about why they released this? It's a good recording, and the performance is fine...but especially in light of the Epok V, what was the intention of this album?

I guess Vander thought there was potential for improvement compared to the version on 1001 Degrees Centigrade. I almost get the impression that around 2000, he made a list of things he wanted to record / re-record and has been crossing things off that list ever since, with the occasional new piece (Felicite Thosz, Slag Tanz) working its way in there too.

All the stuff they have "re-hashed" has been an improvement music-wise imho. I mean holy shit, the Grand Zombies reworking a few albums ago is mindblowing, and gives what used to be a snippet of a jam some contrast and purpose. I have a feeling that Christian is using his time to finish up what he started in the late 70s before becoming sidetracked. The recordings have been a little flat though, and that is annoying. That being said, this latest one is a marked improvement in sound quality. I also like the added bits.

new old album by der Übermenschen? Meh. Is this the long lost concept album celebrating the virtues of Vichy as the perfect form of the État français and the racial superiority of his hero, Philippe Pétain?