Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Magma!!!!!

So, what's the release date of Slang Tanz (or whatever it's called)?

As far as I know, "Slag Tanz" is coming out in January. And it's called "Slag Tanz" - not "Axiom" or any of the alternative titles that had been suggested.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    As far as I know, "Slag Tanz" is coming out in January. And it's called "Slag Tanz" - not "Axiom" or any of the alternative titles that had been suggested.
    Thanks!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    No, then it wouldn't be "new Magma" it would be "yet another reissue grab for your wallet". Steve Wilson is overrated.
    Oh. Pretty low shot there, eh? Not sure who is exactly rating SW, but to describe him as overrated is completely asinine, given his career and body of work. Its as stupid as saying that someone like Keneally or Mike Patton is overrated. Or maybe even as stupid as the guy who said Henry Cow made shit music or whatever on that thread.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Go tell the other guy.
    And then Scrotum joins in! Oh man, you're lucky I like you and your name is Captian Scrotum Scissors, and that you're a walking encyclopedia of good music. Crazy fuckin' Norwegians.......

PS - just got the new PoiL. YEAH BABY! Best band ever (of the past 2 weeks)!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Oh. Pretty low shot there, eh? Not sure who is exactly rating SW, but to describe him as overrated is completely asinine, given his career and body of work.
    When we're talking about this second career he now has a remixer or whatever you what to call it, I would say he is overrated. I've never seen so many jump up and down every time one of these classic reissue campaigns is announced, "Oh, Steve Wilson is remixing such and such!!!!!". Like the fact that it's Steve Wilson in particular doing the job is supposed somehow make it that much better. I'd like to know how this whole thing started, I mean did Robert Fripp or whoever just out of the blue call up Steve Wilson and say, "I've heard some of the Porcupine Tree records, I want you to be in charge of re-imagining my back catalog" or what?

When we're talking about this second career he now has a remixer or whatever you what to call it, I would say he is overrated. I've never seen so many jump up and down every time one of these classic reissue campaigns is announced, "Oh, Steve Wilson is remixing such and such!!!!!". Like the fact that it's Steve Wilson in particular doing the job is supposed somehow make it that much better. I'd like to know how this whole thing started, I mean did Robert Fripp or whoever just out of the blue call up Steve Wilson and say, "I've heard some of the Porcupine Tree records, I want you to be in charge of re-imagining my back catalog" or what?
    Maybe it's because some people -- myself included -- consider him to be talented in that regard. Evidently Robert Fripp agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Maybe it's because some people -- myself included -- consider him to be talented in that regard. Evidently Robert Fripp agrees.
    Perhaps Robert Fripp should consider calling Bob Drake or Udi instead, just once. Lord knows they could (probably) use the dow - and that the end result would be, er, "just as good".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    And then Scrotum joins in! [...] your name is Captian Scrotum Scissors, and that you're a walking encyclopedia of good music. [...} Crazy fuckin' Norwegian.
    Like you said, I'm a 'captian' of the SS (Obersturmführer, in fact), and although I think quite highly of Willy Stevens' endeavours with Pork (1988-96), (some) I.E.M., (some) Bass Communion, (some) solo and that first Blackfield record, I've never warmed to the fetish of his ventures in remixing of the ol' "classics". Perhaps if he would try his hand at other, more obscurely adventurous works - I dunno. And it's not because I'm a grump about conserving any traditions either.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think it's less about Wilson himself and more that he's the only one out there remastering classic prog records right now. I do think that A) a lot of prog records could use a remaster and B) Steven Wilson is really good at doing it. Outside of 1001 Degrees Centigrade I think all the 70's Magma albums have fidelity issues. How many have remarked about how Vander is nearly inaudible on the original MDK?
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

chalkpie
    Perhaps Robert Fripp should consider calling Bob Drake or Udi instead, just once. Lord knows they could (probably) use the dow - and that the end result would be, er, "just as good".
    First off, you're preaching to the choir. Udi is a mastering GOD. And I don't say that just because he is a great pal of mine. And you're gonna be hard-pressed to find a bigger Bob Drake aficionado out there than me. Two utter genius engineers. But what does that have to do with SW? I seriously doubt SW is calling up Ian and Robert and asking "Hey man - can I remix A Passion Play in 5.1.....PRETTY PLEASE????"

The guy has a career and a reputation, and he sought after. And there are plenty of people out there (in the thousands) that know and love the work he is doing, so the proof is in the pudding. If this guy was a hack, I think we would all be on to him at this point. As for the material - sure - I would love to see him remaster some more interesting material, but the folks who create the music have the ultimate say in that regard.

This sour grapes attitude is just so bizarre to me. Ian, Robert and the rest have the ultimate say - its their music and they created it. The consumer has a choice to ignore it or buy it. BUT if folks are going to spew BS blanket statements like "Steven Wilson is overrated"- then have the empirical evidence to back it up - and I am talking about track timings, and REALLY talking about details such as compression used, reverbs, mixes on the toms, etc etc etc.

As a matter of fact, I challenge ANYBODY out there to listen to a proper spin of the stereo SW Chateau Disaster tapes and nail it to the cross with specific evidence including track numbers, timings, and detailed descriptions of what sucks so bad. Go ahead.

Having said all of that, you're still the shit Scrotum and I wish I had 1/4 of your knowledge of progressive music

I too would like roughly 25% of the Scrotum's grey matter (that sounds wrong no matter how I write it), but I would also like to have those nifty binoculars!

As for remastering/remixing oldies for a new perspective/new cash flow/means to defeat the onset of late-career boredom, I defer to my old friend's saying:

"Sacred Cows make the best hamburgers. Taketh and eat, sayeth the Lord"
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

You'll get no disagreement from me there. My statement was in no way intended to denigrate any other folks' abilities behind the mixing desk.

chalkpie
    Wow. I don't even know where to begin with this, nor do I want to waste any thought process on this, so I won't...

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I think it's less about Wilson himself and more that he's the only one out there remastering classic prog records right now. I do think that A) a lot of prog records could use a remaster and B) Steven Wilson is really good at doing it. Outside of 1001 Degrees Centigrade I think all the 70's Magma albums have fidelity issues. How many have remarked about how Vander is nearly inaudible on the original MDK?
    Actually, there's lots of people doing remastering work on classic prog rock albums. Wilson is doing work as a remixer. And I'm sure there's lots of sound engineers, if Fripp or Ian Anderson or whomever called them up and said "I'll pay you to remix our old albums", they'd almost surely jump at it.

And I still suspect the alleged fidelity issues on the 70's era Magma records are probably more to do with how they were recorded than how they were mixed. They probably had to do a lot of bouncing (what kind of multi-track technology did the band usually get to work with?), which can't be undone. I know it's been said there's a lot of records from that era (eg Nursery Cryme, Soft Machine Third, etc) where next to nothing can be done to make the album sound better.

MY ALBUMS ARE EXACTLY AS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO SOUND
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Most of the family moved south, some as early and unvoluntary as 1944... tough times.
    Mine weren't given the opportunity to move, so it could have been worse.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Definetely.
    They were forced to move by the Germans who burned every house down, so that nothing would be left for the Russians, when they arrived. If they refused to move they would have been shot.

“The world is full enough of hurts and mischances without wars to multiply them.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Lots of artists have been racists. If they're aging (or dead) and don't hold positions of power or influence, I don't really care. And my family was devastated by the holocaust.

Just my opinion.

They were forced to move by the Germans who burned every house down, so that nothing would be left for the Russians, when they arrived. If they refused to move they would have been shot.
    You do know that yesterday was the official 70th anniversary of the scorched earth-tactics imposed by the Nazis on Finnmark in Norway, right? They essentially laid bare an area roughly equivalent of Kansas state during two months of destruction. And the Norwegian fascist corunners were the most active assailants in the process.

Were they harsh or even extreme and terrible conditions? Absolutely. Yet though, as silly as "luck" may go, paths didn't lead to Stutthof or Auschwitz-Birkenau. The fate of those 770 Norwegians of Jewish heritage who were sent there, as well as the complete silence on the subject even post-war, remains the biggest disgrace in this country's modern history.

No I wasnt aware of an anniversary yesterday. Normally my (still living) uncle keeps me posted about events like that.

And the Swedes let the train with jews from Norway pass through Sweden to the concentration camps as a part of a deal with Germany.
    At the same time they welcomed many jewish refugees from Denmark.
    Yes, it was disgracefull (understatement), but I've got the feeling that the public in Norway today have some problems distinguishing between jews and israel.

[ I think we derailed the thread quite a bit - so if the war subject should continue, we can do it in the way out departement]
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 10-25-2014 at 01:19 PM.

I've got the feeling that the public in Norway today have some problems distinguishing between jews and israel.[/I]
    Sad but absolutely true.

Listening to Extra Life now. It's saturday night, for chrissakes. Meant to be fun. Uh, wait...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So what's the new Magma like?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So what's the new Magma like?
    A lot like side one of the second album.

And a lot like the first song on Epok V live... :-)
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.