Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which bands are you an advocate for?

I'd hate to say it but there are certain bands that I refuse to promote or advocate for personal reasons(ok actually really only one band). THen there are others who have members who don't seem to care about their fans or who are rude. I can't really advocate them either. So in the end I would rather just advocate or promote prog in general. I make it clear when talking to people that my interests in this genre go way beyond Yes, Floyd, Crimson, Genesis and Rush.

I suppose though I really wish more people knew about:

Grobschnitt
    Nektar
    Van der Graaf Generator
    Flower Kings
    Banco
    PFM
    Eloy
    Camel

These bands in particular. Also, I wish more younger fans knew about Gentle Giant and more non Italians knew about the New Trolls.

Ange (especially their more recent albums)
    Omega (the Hungarian prog band)

Thirteen of Everything
    Underground Railroad
    Steve Vai
    Alan Holdsworth
    Frank Gambale, sort of
    Transatlantic

Others, of course, but these are ones I seem to end up telling people about most. 13 of Everything are friends of mine, and make good music besides. I've been on the same bill as Underground Railroad, and they're very interesting. Vai, Holdsworth, and Gambale? When talking to guitarists, these three sort of represent some of what can be done with the instrument. Vai's wacky rock'n'roll sensibility, Holdsworth's incredible chording and single note work, Gambale's BLAZING arpeggios... that sort of thing. Transatlantic is a perfect "gateway" prog band when addressing those of the ignorant masses. And I just plain like some of their work, too.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    After Crying
    Anekdoten

I do what I can to promote interest in Triumvirat, and Helmut Koellen in particular.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Two different responses to this question, first is any band within a similar genre of the person I'm discussing music with. If someone wants to talk about Grindcore I mention Graf Orlock, if it's Djent I bring up Proghma-C, for Tango I'll mention Astor Piazolla, and so forth. Secondly, any local Bay Area band pushing the boundaries, miRthkon, SGM, Secret Chiefs 3, Free Salamander Exhibit, Estradasphere, etc.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I've been on the same bill as Underground Railroad, and they're very interesting.
    How cool; I would've loved to hear them live! Unfortunately, that window of opportunity is now shut.

I think I've proved myself an advocate of Holdsworth enough times around here that I didn't bother listing him. I think Steve Vai is pretty great too.

Gentle Giant for sure. I've tried to get so many people to listen to them but most just shake their heads and don't understand it.

Echolyn is the big one for me.

But the non-canonical album I've spent the most time fruitlessly stumping for is probably The Wake by IQ. I'm not a huge neo-prog guy and the production on that album isn't the greatest but I love it.

I am an evangelist for Magma, not that I can ever get anyone to pay attention. I also tout Glass Hammer, for music. I advocate for Buffy the Vampire Slayer for DVD watching or streaming (TV), and for the movie Ponette as a movie. And Andrew Vachhs as a writer.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Many of our favorite bands might be well-known enough that they don't need any of our help being heard. Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, et al., are certainly known within the mainstream. But, for every one of those artists, there are dozens whom would benefit from more listeners, yet don't have much awareness, if any at all.

For me, one band that fits the bill is Nektar. A great band as good as any of the big five, or ten, or whatever number. But, they're hardly on anyone's radar. So, I do what I can to introduce their music to people I think might enjoy them.

So, when you're given an opportunity to open someone's eyes and ears, which lesser-known bands do you praise?
    You see, some named the prog mainstream acts, like VdGG, UK, GG, Marillion..)

Yes
    80s Genesis
    Asia
    Pink Floyd
    William Shatner

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Deyss

Umphrey's McGee
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Vespero
    God is an Astronaut
    Spacious Mind
    Causa Sui

I don't suppose I advocate for any, other than at times posting a thread here about particular artists/bands.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Porcupine Tree
    Big Big Train
    Bad Dog U

Cardiacs and Aranis

Cardiacs: because it is my favourite band ever.

Aranis: Because I feel this kind of music could be enjoyed by a much wider audience if they would get the chance to hear it.

Any band/musician/artist whose work/record i've posted a thread about here reflects my advocacy of that person/entity.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Deyss
    Yup, not forgetting Citadel, North Star, Nepenthe, Fancyfluid and Edith. These are all apex.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Because I feel this kind of music could be enjoyed by a much wider audience if they would get the chance to hear it.
    That captures the essence of this thread and why I listed Nektar.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'll put in two bands that I try to turn people onto all the time:
    Dawn and Motorpsycho...

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Bad Dog U
    Thanks for being our advocate, Todd!