Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many times do you listen...

6 listens.

There has to be something there on the first listen that makes me WANT to like it. Or I have to have some abstract vision in the future of what the experience would be like if I liked it.

Perplexingly, more "difficult" music will almost always win the right to "the 6" before something more straightforward. Things that are simple and unassuming have to really have some mysteriously seductive quality to earn "the 6" these days. But once I commit, the 6 listens are going to happen no matter what. And they're good, attentive listens.

If just 1 or 2 albums make that transition from interesting to classic in the process, it's a successful year. And the "graveyard" of albums that didn't make it to classic status are still fun to dip into due to familiarity.

I have been a fan of everything VDGG and pH since the late 70s, but I never could get into "H to He". Every so often I would try and didn't have success. Two years ago I wasn't paying attention when it came on my MP3 player and for some reason heard something that I didn't notice when I actually listened attentively. I now appreciate the recording over 30 years after first hearing it. I never give up. I just continue to come back occasionally looking for that special thing that other people have found that I haven't.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

When I was a teenager getting into prog I could only afford to buy 1 album every couple of weeks, so I'd just listen over and over and over. It was an unusual situation that I'd listen to something a couple times and return it to the store...that's one of the things I loved about prog, you had to give repeated listens before you started to "get" it. The best example I can think of is when I bought Lizard at age 17. I loved Cirkus at 1st listen but it wasn't until years later that I really turned on to the rest of the album. 35 years later it's the Crimso album I spin the most. It's always a reminder that to really appreciate prog you can't just give it a cursory listen...recently I got IQ's Dark Matter and the 1st few times I heard the final song I couldn't stand the part where Nichols sings about America...but I kept telling myself, "just one more listen"...after a few days I loved it...go figure
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    buying blind aint deep digging either now is it?
    I buy blind much of the time, like Lev stated. And yes, it's deep digging.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    In the years before Youtube had songs from every band on the planet, I would sometimes take a chance on an album that was highly rated by peers. As someone who likes just about every kind of music imaginable (except gangster Rap and old Country music) I can usually find something to like on any album... but exceptions do exist as one can readily find on my 'under 5' Gnosis ratings.

Nowadays I wont get an album that I havent heard a sample of so as to avoid the 'highly rated' stinkers. The plethora of samples out there today pretty much guarantee that anything one acquires nowadays should never be rated lower than an 8 by anyone at Gnosis. I mean, what kind of moron would buy an album nowadays without hearing a song or two first?

To answer the OP though, in the yesteryear before samples I would always give an album at least 4 listens over a a few months before deciding whether I like it or not.
    Do you mean you like NEWER Country music, but not old? That's crazy!

I generally give an album 5 good listens before making my mind up on it, although there are a few that turn me off right away. Occasionally I have found albums that I have shelved, but then come back to later and “got” them.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you mean you like NEWER Country music, but not old? That's crazy!
    well, seeing as "new Country" is just AOR Rock like the Stones I can tolerate some of it like Keith Urban and Vince Gill... but generally I don't put it on by choice, no
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I buy blind much of the time, like Lev stated. And yes, it's deep digging.
    sounds more like 'shot in the dark' buying to me but hey, whatever floats yer boat
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I don't really have a set number of listens. If I find an album that doesn't resonate with me, whether I choose to spend more time with it really depends on whether I have a gut feeling about why I really should like something about it. The best example for me is VDGG's Pawn Hearts. It had Fripp, it had long, exploratory pieces, and it was highly regarded in prog circles. I listened to it off and on for probably a few months and just didn't get it at all. I put it away and would pull it out every now and then to see if my reaction would be any different. It never was. At that point, I don't think I listened to it for two or three years. Almost as an afterthought, just to remind myself what it sounded like, I pulled it out again and put in the CD player. And I don't know what it was, but I suddenly got it. All of it. Its brilliance smacked me over the head, and it remains one of my all-time favorite albums to this day.

In other cases, I've just given up in frustration. Trout Mask Replica is the prime example. And it's not that I can't appreciate strange music on the outer fringes. I like The Faust Tapes. I enjoy Lumpy Gravy. But Beefheart just makes me scratch my head. Maybe someday it'll click like VDGG did.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    ... to an album that you don't like/understand at first? If you still don't get it, do you try to listen again in a few weeks/months/years?
    It depends on the buzz. There are a number of folks around here that, if they swear by it, I'll give something a good long while. I'm still waiting for the penny to drop on U.K., for instance. I'm holding on to them because they have such a devoted following by so many people with otherwise good taste. I figure there's gotta be something in there that will grab me some day.

Also, if if the band has a great track record I'll hold on to them too. For instance, I don' always sync up with The Residents right away, but I know it can happen. When it does, it is a consistently rewarding experience.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jim1961 View Post
    As much music as I have already, I am pretty picky about new stuff. Generally, I sample the first, last and title tracks of an album. If none of those spark my interest, I move on.
    That's a bit too dangerous on a stymph xeenie prog album : 10 minutes athmospheric intro and a 15-mins new-agey outro, plus the two-minutes title track that is formatted to attract attention... naaah, FFWD and Cue buttons on every track of the album is better investigation procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Nowadays I am more picky about what I like, just one spin. I know what I like, and I like what I know. Of course, some things I like much more right away, than others that grow more on me, or remain just "good".
    yup... with what I got on my shelves, who nes "good" new albums... only great ones will find a space on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    This is a really interesting thread topic.
    it's all very well saying "Oh, you need to give it time", but time repeatedly listening to something that doesn't impress me is time that I can't spend checking out something else.
    Good point!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I DUNNO, BUT I'LL JUST BETCHA THEY'RE ALL CERTIFIED SYMPH WEENIES!!!
    I just pictured a symph weenie having the face in your avatar....

Yuuuuckkkkkk!!!!...

***shrugs the ideas and runs to listen Madfiona and Prince..***

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I generally give an album 5 good listens before making my mind up on it, although there are a few that turn me off right away. Occasionally I have found albums that I have shelved, but then come back to later and “got” them.
    When you get to our ages, time is too precious a commodity to re-listen something that you don't like 5 times
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    it took me 20 to dig VdGG....
    For the second case, it was much tougher because I hated the singer, and didn't understand whatthe sax was doing.
    That's exactly my case. I tried them in mid-90s for the first time and only now I'm starting to enjoy theiк music.
    Last edited by mogilevs; 10-15-2014 at 04:43 AM.

In the old days I bought a lot of LP's in England from Recommended Records, Wandsworth road, and half the stuff I ordered blindly after reading the praise in their catalogue. Quite some bands I didnt like at first, but got rewarded after some (many) spins.
    Since I didnt have much money but 'felt' I had lots of time, I sometimes heard the albums lots of times before I really liked them. I discovered Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, This Heat, Etron Fou, Aqsak Maboul, Catherine Jauniaux, Fred Frith, Ferdinand Richard, a.o. this way.
    Nobody else I knew listened to them. They listened to YES, GG, Focus, KC, etc.

I bought Magma Hhai in 75 after hearing 1 tune (Kobaia) in the radio, but was very dissapointed with the rest. I heard the rest a 1000 times, since I coudn't believe that only tune was that great, it had to be me... it was.

Today the situation is a bit the opposite. I can more or less buy what I want, but time feels more limited, and live with a family, so I take less chances but prelisten on the internet first. I also have so much music that the need for more of the same is almost zero. I get tempted if its really different or possibly sublime.

I just pictured a symph weenie having the face in your avatar....

Yuuuuckkkkkk!!!!...
    Well, to be fair, that pic doesn't really give me due credit. It was taken on my 54th birthday back in July 1971, when I was more into Balkan post-psychedelia. I've gained some considerable weight and grown more of a chin since then, you know.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

That's exactly my case. I tried them in mid-90s for the first time and only now I'm starting to enjoy theiк music.

Well I guess i'm almost 20 years ahead in tjhis process... but VdGG (and Hammill) are still an acquired taste... While I relly dig their music, I must be in the mood for it.... No use trying to play it on a whim this afternoon... I have to have a crave for their music (happens a gew times a year)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, to be fair, that pic doesn't really give me due credit. It was taken on my 54th birthday back in July 1971, when I was more into Balkan post-psychedelia. I've gained some considerable weight and grown more of a chin since then, you know.

You're not exactly what I'd call a symph weenie, though.

you'd be more of a 'bad avatar and usename' weenie in my book
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

... to an album that you don't like/understand at first? If you still don't get it, do you try to listen again in a few weeks/months/years?
    Absolutely.

Suspended
    ***shrugs the ideas and runs to listen Madfiona and Prince..***
    Some typos are too good to want to see them corrected. I never heard of an artist called Madfiona, but there should be one, it's a bloody brilliant name.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I never heard of an artist called Madfiona, but there should be one, it's a bloody brilliant name.
    I figured her a kinda avant-prog conglomerate of Tori Amos and Nina Hagen with a littebitte Diamanda Galas thrown in for good measure.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Mostly depends on whether someone whose judgement you value recommended it as something really great, I guess.
    Great point that certainly resonates with me.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I was thinking about the OP's question and typically I just like it or I don't. I am in tune with if I think that reason is because of me or the music. If I think it's me and really expected I would have liked something, I will definitely give it another chance.

More disappointing is looking forward to a band you really like and their new release only to feel empty after listening. I think many people try so hard at that point to convince themselves to like it. These are the albums they listen to 10 times, maybe in part to justify their investment. Then they come on the board and state:

"this band makes complex music and really take several listens to appreciate."

or "it's a grower. Give it another chance."

Both comments I find to be completely subjective and differs by each listener.

And when someone proclaims "I've listened to this 10 times, and now I like it!" I say...you've been brainwashed.

I mean, what kind of moron would buy an album nowadays without hearing a song or two first?
    I do all the time. But usually those are what I refer to as "autobuys". Many here do it. I wouldn't call them morons. I'd call them addicts.

But I would say that even those people need a trust reference. It could be a review site or rating site, but often times it's because you are already familiar with the band or a project from a new band that has members you trust. Or it could even be with a record label. I've bought many items blindly from Cuneiform, Soleil Zeuhl, AltRock, LE, ECM, etc. based on the label's reputation and what you can expect. And often in those cases I actually do NOT want to hear them before buying.

Sure, you get the occasional let down. Shit happens.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I do all the time. But usually those are what I refer to as "autobuys". Many here do it. I wouldn't call them morons. I'd call them addicts.
    I have a pretty consistent list of autobuy bands, or artist who I autobuy based on the consistency of their previous releases. When was the last bad Univers Zero album? They may vary in quality but they are at least 'good'. Similarly with bands like Magma, Alamaailman Vasarat, Vezhlivy Otkaz & Aranis they have a defined 'sound' I like and I'm unlikely to dislike an album.

But I would say that even those people need a trust reference. It could be a review site or rating site, but often times it's because you are already familiar with the band or a project from a new band that has members you trust. Or it could even be with a record label. I've bought many items blindly from Cuneiform, Soleil Zeuhl, AltRock, LE, ECM, etc. based on the label's reputation and what you can expect. And often in those cases I actually do NOT want to hear them before buying.

Sure, you get the occasional let down. Shit happens.

I've certainly done this a lot and not been disappointed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

More disappointing is looking forward to a band you really like and their new release only to feel empty after listening. I think many people try so hard at that point to convince themselves to like it. These are the albums they listen to 10 times, maybe in part to justify their investment. Then they come on the board and state:
    "this band makes complex music and really take several listens to appreciate."
    or "it's a grower. Give it another chance."
    Both comments I find to be completely subjective and differs by each listener.
    And when someone proclaims "I've listened to this 10 times, and now I like it!" I say...you've been brainwashed.
    Ha! I was also going to ask something like this: if somebody feels that multiple listens of music one does't initially like (but which he thinks he should like) lead to self-convincing himself that he starts to like it?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    If I've convinced myself I like something do I still actually like it? Hmmmm
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Suspended
    There are two albums I own that I probably wouldn't buy again. In both cases I bought the album on the strength of a couple of songs, found the rest of the album disappointing, and spent some time in denial telling myself that the rest of the album was actually fairly good, before finally admitting to myself that much of it was filler.

One is Joni Mitchell - Dog Eat Dog. The other is Kids in the Kitchen - Shine.

Kids in the Kitchen were an Australian band that was around in the mid-1980s, with a sound not too dissimilar to ABC. This was actually one of the first CDs I bought.