Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: RUSH inducted in the R&R Hall of Fame!

Cool, good for them.

So now we can start whining about how other prog acts aren't in the RRHOF?
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Very pleased to see this for RUSH.

Deep Purple however have been shafted as with the passing of John Lord this year, it would have been a very honorable nod. Maybe the RaRHOF thought that it was "too soon" aftet John's passing to honor the band and will wait until next year (Just giving them the benefit of the doubt, not that they have earned that benefit)
    As I stated in an earlier post, Rush got in because of the relatively new "fan balloting" that the HOF has had. IIRC, they are not obligated to enshrine the winner of the fan ballot, but they are supposed to take it seriously. Rush won the fan balloting by a monstrous margin. Deep Purple came in second. Deep Purple (and Rush) have been eligible for awhile now and were not going to get in via the usual process. Presumably, Deep Purple will win the fan balloting next year (by virtue of their coming second this year to Rush) and maybe next year will be their year, if they take a large enough share of the fan vote.

I don't personally think the HOF is all that big a deal, but it is nice for Rush that they got in. They are an important part of rock music history and now the rock hall's '70s and '80s coverage is all the more complete.

Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    Right? I've never been a Newman fan, though...not quite sure why he's in there. He's not nearly as important to music as was, say, Quincy Jones.
    Definitely agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Good article here, with an interview with Lifeson, from the Toronto Star.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...l-hall-of-fame

Re: Randy Newman, he's easily one of the best American songwriters, and one of my favorites, but his relationship to "rock and roll" is indirect a lot of the time - which could be said for a great many inductees of course, so, good on him.

I too was pleased to see Randy on the list.

Way overdue for Rush.

Still no Deep Purple, which is very perplexing.

I wish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would change its name to the American Music Hall of Fame -- or International Music Hall of Fame, or something like it -- so that the argument that inductees are not "rock and roll" can come to an end. Hank Williams was inducted in the Hall's second class, as was Aretha Franklin. Country and soul artists. Not really rock and roll artists. But nobody complained then.
    Last edited by paythesnuka; 12-11-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Left some important words out the first time.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

If people simply understood that the RRHOF calls itself that just to piss you off, you'd all be a lot happier.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

I was surprised that Randy was not in there already. His body of work from the 70s alone (well before 'Short People') is worthy of him getting in.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Can't believe Deep Purple was snubbed.
    I can't believe Procol Harum was thrown away.

If people simply understood that the RRHOF calls itself that just to piss you off, you'd all be a lot happier.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I wish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would change its name to the American Music Hall of Fame -- or International Music Hall of Fame, or something like it -- so that the argument that inductees are not "rock and roll" can come to an end. Hank Williams was inducted in the Hall's second class, as was Aretha Franklin. Country and soul artists. Not really rock and roll artists.
    How about the Museum of Rock and Roll?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Congratulations!
    Yup. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Presumably, Deep Purple will win the fan balloting next year (by virtue of their coming second this year to Rush) and maybe next year will be their year...

I don't personally think the HOF is all that big a deal, but it is nice for Rush that they got in. They are an important part of rock music history and now the rock hall's '70s and '80s coverage is all the more complete.
    Yep. But it is still a bit odd that Heart gets in before Deep Purple. That's a head scratcher, but not like much of what happens with that institution hasn't been anyways.

Attention all planets of the solar federation they have assumed control, they have assumed control..........

Great news and congratulations to Rush(one of my favorite bands of all time).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I couldn't be happier: Rush, Quincy, Public Enemy, Donna, Albert King, Lou Adler, and Heart.

It's a great, great day for me.
    Indeed "Stacia. I agree 100%!
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    Indeed "Stacia. I agree 100%!
    Right on. It's total music extravaganza right here at the apartment--wish you could be here, too! :::cracks open a Samuel Smith's organic lager:::
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Jefferson James
    “I think at the end of the day, really, what this is about is making our fans feel like their support has been worthy.” -- Alex Lifeson.

F'in sweet!

meimjustalawnmower
    Randy Newman's contribution to American music and music in general is far more deserving than just this induction.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    “I think at the end of the day, really, what this is about is making our fans feel like their support has been worthy.” -- Alex Lifeson.

F'in sweet!
    Yeah! Like...this one!

h9732896C.jpg

They truly will add alot of Class to the RRHOF. I dont think the being in the RRHOF is all that big of a resume enhancer for them. Its the Hall of fame sponging off of Rush. There are many artists in there already that would be totally forgotten, were it not for the RRHOF. (ie.. Hall and Oats)

About fucking time!
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel3 View Post
    About fucking time!
    It's all calculated.
    Realistically, Albert King should've gone in 20 years ago. It's not about getting in as soon as you become eligable, like in sports. And unlike individual sports, the genre of Rock and Roll is both influenced and comprised of other genres. I'm not a big fan of Jann Wenner, but I don't subscribe to the notion that the choices are based on his own personal preference, nor do I have a problem with a rap artist getting in before Rush.