Thread: FEATURED CD - David Minasian : Random Acts Of Beauty

FEATURED CD - David Minasian : Random Acts Of Beauty

Another one with a bit of a PE flavor. Per Scott at SoT:

Reviewing music is a lot like getting Christmas presents. Sometimes the giver thinks what's inside is the most magnificent gift when in reality you cannot wait to stand in line at the return department to get rid of the monstrosity. Other times you get something that is likable but you can't say much more than that about it. Then comes the time when you rip the wrapping paper off and find a true gift which touches so deeply it echoes the thought and caring that the bearer put into finding just the perfect offering. Something you will smile and think warmly about every time it's used. This is what David Minasian has blessed us with. Random Acts of Beauty contains a musical gift that cannot help but touch your soul and make you feel better about yourself and the world around you. He has created a masterpiece which will touch your ears, mind, heart and most of all your soul.

What sounds like a gong opens the show followed by a piano that reflects the classical training David has received and then his voice which falls somewhere between Justin Hayward and David Gilmour starts the first tale called "Masquerade". These 12 minutes are a stunning example of masterful songwriting at its best. With a dramatic flair that will take your breath away this soaring work of art stands as one of the best pieces of music that I have heard this year. If that is not enough then add long time friend and leader of the band Camel Andrew Latimer on guitar with a few vocals thrown in and you have a collaboration of staggering proportions. These two compliment each other so well it would not surprise me to find them working together a lot more.

This disc is by no means a one shot deal. It is filled with magnificent music from start to finish and long time progressive rock fans will find many a reference point along the way. The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Camel, Yes, Mannheim Steamroller and a host of other bands could be influences by what Minasian has produced. Hopefully this disc will put his name right there with the afore mentioned list.

The melancholy "Chambermaid" is the Moody Blues moment on the disc. With a melody that takes you dreamily along with just a hint of electric guitar for that full bodied flavor, Minasian and his keyboard wizardry once again astounds the listener and makes you feel as well as hear what he is projecting. Fans of the Octava period Moodies will be instantly carried away with this beautifully crafted piece. David brings so much life to his music that you cannot help but be touched by what he has done.

When you get to the amazing "Storming The Castle" the knights on horseback will be riding by your side as this powerful instrumental work captures the essence of his subject perfectly. This one reminded me of the early Fresh Aire music by Mannheim Steamroller. I can remember how taken I was by the first Fresh Aire album and this song brought back all those feelings of finding something new and exciting. Minasian has rekindled my love of great melodic, beautiful music as he has managed to create something that not only is a pleasant listening experience but a total emersion in the musical aura he creates. Not often are you totally swept away by the music you hear but this is one that does so and also takes you to a much better place than where you started from.

I could go on and on about all the treasures that this album holds for the listener. Each gem on the disc has a unique and irresistible charm that only gets better each time it is played. The simple undisputable fact is that this album is as close to perfection as it gets. All you have to do is hear the complexities of a song like "Frozen In Time" with its layer upon layer of instrumentation and it is easy to see that this is not your ordinary album by any means. I almost forgot to mention that the extremely brilliant guitar work on most of the disc is done by David's son Justin. I guess we don't have to ask him what he wants to be when he grows up! Justin has a style that reflects his dad's musical path perfectly and I am sure we will also be hearing much more from this very talented musician.

Well, the long and the short of it is Random Acts Of Beauty needs to be in your collection. There is no way that you can come away from listening to it and not feel better. It is one of the times when music can provide the healing properties for what ails you. David Minasian is the doctor and he has the proper prescription to lift your spirits and restore your faith. Just don't forget your daily dose if you know what's good for you!

Reviewer: Scott Ward
    Score: 5 Stars
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ntent&id=10039

Regards,

Duncan

Very solid Camel influenced album. I have his first from the 80s, but haven't spun it yet.

I love this album. A true symphonic masterpiece.

A bought because it had Andy latimer on it. I think its a nice album. Nothing spectacular or new under the sun but at least I can put this one on without the wife leaving the house.

Slightly off topic: the album cover is a case of awful photoshop skills without any imagination. One of the worst collection of clichés i've ever seen. Luckily the music sounds a bit more authentic.

^ It's not as bad as the cover for his first album.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    A bought because it had Andy latimer on it. I think its a nice album. Nothing spectacular or new under the sun but at least I can put this one on without the wife leaving the house.

Slightly off topic: the album cover is a case of awful photoshop skills without any imagination. One of the worst collection of clichés i've ever seen. Luckily the music sounds a bit more authentic.
    I know what you mean about Andy Latimer being on it. Not sure they work very well together though. Always nice to hear Andy play though.

This is one of my favourite albums, and a modern symphonic masterpiece.

I cannot wait to check this out!!!
    The Prog Corner

Just watched Justin Hayward's "Spirits Live" DVD this weekend and noticed that it was produced and directed by Mr. Minasian. Nicely done, expecially given the small venue and stripped back band (no drums).

I own and enjoy this album.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Beautiful laid-back sympho, worth price of admission for Mr. Latimer's contribution alone.

I quite like it. Got it because Andy Latimer guests on it and I still find that track the best. Lovely to hear Andy play his heart out once again. But I quite like the other songs as well. Very symphonic and romantic stuff. I don't like the cover though, it's totally cold!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by georob View Post
    Just watched Justin Hayward's "Spirits Live" DVD this weekend and noticed that it was produced and directed by Mr. Minasian. Nicely done, expecially given the small venue and stripped back band (no drums).
    He has directed and produced most of the "modern" Camel DVDs as well.

Listened to the clips. Pretty nice, the guitar certainly gives a bit of a Camel feel, but the melodies and compositions don't ring to me as a "symphonic masterpiece"-a fairly predictable affair, nothing at all out of the ordinary-but pleasant enough. Perhaps I need to hear it more?

I personally like the cover, maybe because she is so beautiful.