Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound of Contact Begin Work on Second Album.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Like many of these threads, there is just an announcement, not much more. I did note that there are 2 musicians which are to go get some big names to help produce the music.
    Indeed, just an announcement as I see it, but where did you read "Big names?" I've only read "We also have some interesting guests contributing", that could mean anything?

Having read this thread, I must be missing something here as the irony is, there has been almost zero 'hype' about Sound Of Contact, from the band's side at least, since Squids 'left' the band?

We don't know why they split, neither side has said but having ready over and over that Squids 'left', he actually said this week "we had decided to go our separate ways. It was a mutual decision" so something fundamental must have gone on and maybe that is none of our business and certainly both sides seem to have moved on.

Squids likes to tell us all his every last move, a different approach and walking a fine line between news and hype I guess, but each to their own.

Post Squids, SOC put out a single, a video, did a couple of rock cruises, a bunch of TV shows, radio, North American dates (it was a great show at Rosfest!) as well as European dates etc and now, all they have done is said they are working on a new album, end of, nothing more, nothing less.
    What band DOESN'T announce that?

How is any of that hype?

Either way, I too am just a little jaded by some people and some band's that 'hype' (see the Genesis R-Kive thread for that!) but from where I sit, no hype is coming from SOC these days?!

I'm simply looking forward to both these albums and in the mean time will continue to enjoy Dimensionaut and the three great solo albums that Simon Collins put out on his own pre SOC.

At the end of the day, Progressive rock wins, so let's move on shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    i long for the good ole days when you didn't really hear much about a band or album until they came through town, or nearing an album release, or random bits in music mags. It kept up the mystery as well as giving the band a 'new' fresh appeal repeatedly. As a long time software engineer and internet junkie, I have to say I am overloaded and soooooooooooooo tired of social media bullshit. Most of the time its nothing more than data mining anyways.

I agree these guys should shut up and play. It might have more impact.
    I often think the same thing. Maybe it's better not to know and just listen to the music.

Like many of these threads, there is just an announcement, not much more. I did note that there are 2 musicians which are to go get some big names to help produce the music. I can't help but draw a parallel to your approach to New World. Not that this is bad, just similar in approach. Is it possible that SOC saw your success and are imitating it.
    I certainly don't want to rain on anyone else's parade. But, since you posed this question to me and you know PE is my Prog hang home, I'll tell you that no I don't think they were imitating my approach by having guest musicians (and it's not that proprietary of a concept anyway really). I do think it's different if you're a solo artist where it's expected that you'd have a variety of people participating vs. a band where you'd perhaps expect it to be the band who are the ones playing everything. When we did Dimensionaut we had very few outside guests besides the four of us (just vocalist Hannah Stobart and Wells Cunningham, a string player). I love that Dimensionaut was a very "band-centric" album in that each person played their own instrument (and live in the studio together, at least as a three piece most of the time). There was a unique chemistry between us.

As for me, I like both approaches. A band approach, especially all playing together in the studio simultaneously without a click and a solo approach with special guests sending in their tracks from all over the world. If you're lucky enough to have a great band with chemistry that can stick together then that to me is the ultimate. If not, then casting some of your favorite musicians to contribute to your vision song by song is also nice. I'm fortunate and grateful to have experienced both.

In response to the comments about whether I 'left' or not...

It's true there are details we haven't made public about the split and since none of us are into gossip or mudslinging it's unlikely that any of us are going to be airing any dirty laundry. Just the basic facts will likely be discussed in interviews and mostly to do with the music itself... because I do want people to know what part I actually played in the writing and production of that album as that's a huge part of its style and sound which sets the stage for my next work (as well as any of theirs in relation to their creative contributions to it). But, I can at least say that while the split WAS ultimately mutual, that doesn't mean I didn't want the band to work. I certainly did. It was my dream to be in a band like Genesis and how ironic that I'd be in a band with Phil's son!!?? However, as you know, the thing about bands is that it takes everybody wanting the same thing or at least doing whatever it takes to keep the unit intact. I admire the bands that have been able to do that. I realize what a challenge that can be. So, anyway, I'm just continuing to do what I started which is write, play and produce eclectic Prog music. As for them, I have no idea what they're doing, what it will sound like or when it'll be out (I only know what you guys see posted as well). Either way, I wish them all the best with it.
    Last edited by Squids; 04-20-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Charges dropped. Hoping they can now continue to move forward and finish recording the 2nd disc:

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-1...harges-dropped
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Apparently there are rumors that Dave Kerzner has rejoined the band. Excellent news if that's true. I hope the man himself will confirm.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Apparently there are rumors that Dave Kerzner has rejoined the band. Excellent news if that's true. I hope the man himself will confirm.
    Trying to bait Dave back to this thread huh

Banned
    From the website:

Band Members:
    Simon Collins – Lead Vocals, Drums, Co-producer
    Dave Kerzner – Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals, Co-producer
    Matt Dorsey – Guitars, Bass, Backing Vocals

WeatherWiseCDC
    From the website:

Band Members:
    Simon Collins – Lead Vocals, Drums, Co-producer
    Dave Kerzner – Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals, Co-producer
    Matt Dorsey – Guitars, Bass, Backing Vocals
    Do you have a link to that?

Apparently this blog about synthesizers and keys has the scoop too.

http://www.keystoshredding.com/2015/...with-dave.html
    Sound Of Contact: Reform with Dave Kerzner back in the ranks.
    Saturday, April 18, 2015

New progressive rock band Sound Of Contact have announced that they have reformed and are recording a follow-up album to 2013's excellent Dimensionaut. Not only that but celebrated keyboard player Dave Kerzner has also rejoin the band which is rounded off by drummer/vocalist Simon Collins (son of Genesis' Phil Collins), guitarist/bass player Matt Dorsey and guitarist/ bass player Kelly Nordstrom.

The band are currently in and undisclosed Oxfordshire studios recording new material ready for their second album, which they hope to release early next year. They are also working on various label and management options and seriously considering live dates.

Simon Collins is quoted as saying "I don't want to say if it's going to be a concept album yet but they are the holy grail for us". He also added "We're not just coming back to write the follow-up to; we're back to make as many records as we can. We hope it continues for years to come".
    This (if true) is huge news.

No news yet officially, though, and I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions. I can only find one site reporting this, and it was posted there yesterday. I'd figure it would have been made official already, so let's just hold our collective breath and see what happens.

That said, also... Dave's just getting Mantra Vega going too. That's going to be huge this year. I'm not sure how legitimate the SoC rumor is... let's just wait and see.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 04-19-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    Do you have a link to that?

Apparently this blog about synthesizers and keys has the scoop too.

http://www.keystoshredding.com/2015/...with-dave.html

This (if true) is huge news.

No news yet officially, though, and I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions. I can only find one site reporting this, and it was posted there yesterday. I'd figure it would have been made official already, so let's just hold our collective breath and see what happens.

That said, also... Dave's just getting Mantra Vega going too. That's going to be huge this year. I'm not sure how legitimate the SoC rumor is... let's just wait and see.
    I got that from the SOC website and I believe it's an old lineup. There was nothing on SOC's website about Dave joining.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Got a big announcement coming next week!
    Ok man, are you really rejoining SOC?

That would be great if Dave is working with SoC at least in some capacity. I really enjoyed the formula of Dimensionaut and I doubt a sophomore effort would sound as good without one of the principal songwriters.

If true, that would be excellent news. Kerzner is a real talent and SOC is better with him in it. For sure!!!
    The Prog Corner

Thanks guys. All I can say, for the moment anyway, is check out the latest issue of Prog magazine! That's where the announcement I was talking about is.

Not buying the mag. Tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Not buying the mag. Tell us.

Haha. Fredmund! I will spill the beans once Prog has at least posted the announcement. I'd get slapped with a wet squid if I jumped the gun... and it's so like me to do that so I'll just behave for once and wait. Then I'll tell you all about it!

Now, on another note, I wanna do a gig with you guys at some point. Let's do it!

Well if it's not out yet I understand. And absolutely we will figure out a way to do a show!

WeatherWiseCDC
    Well, if the news is what we think it is, that's fantastic! 2013 was such an exciting time for SoC, and the future will be even better with Dave back (at least, I hope that's the announcement ).

Oh, Prog Magazine, you can't get here soon enough.

https://www.facebook.com/prog/photos...e=1&permPage=1
    Prog
    April 17 · Edited ·

Here we go then.. The wallet for Prog 55! Celebrating 40 years of Camel - Band's The Snow Goose - and talking about their headlining appearance on the Prog stage at Ramblin' Man Fair. Plus... Robert Wyatt, Dave Stewart, Caravan, Syd Arthur and more talk about the Canterbury Scene. And exclusive interviews with Jethro Tull, John Lodge, Steve Howe, Von Hertzen Brothers, Gavin Harrison, Ennio Morricone, WHITE HILLS, AudioPlastik, Barren Earth and Future User. Plus the story of Deram Records, and a tribute poster mag to the late Daevid Allen of Gong - Band - Steve Hillage, Robert Wyatt, Mike Howlett and more pay their respects.

On sale Weds April 22.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 04-20-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Well, if the news is what we think it is, that's fantastic!
    The "rumors" I mentioned earlier are indeed from Prog magazine. I don't have it either but it was discussed on the Big Big Train forum. Apparently Prog Mag states that the 4 original members of Sound of Contact (Collins, Kerzner, Dorsey, Nordstrom) have reunited and are working on the band's next album. Apparently there are even quotes from Dave confirming it.
    This news seemed so incredible to me that I was hoping Dave could confirm it. All he's been saying is "check out prog mag" so I guess that's all the confirmation he can give for now (but it basically says it all).
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

WeatherWiseCDC
    The "rumors" I mentioned earlier are indeed from Prog magazine. I don't have it either but it was discussed on the Big Big Train forum. Apparently Prog Mag states that the 4 original members of Sound of Contact (Collins, Kerzner, Dorsey, Nordstrom) have reunited and are working on the band's next album. Apparently there are even quotes from Dave confirming it.
    This news seemed so incredible to me that I was hoping Dave could confirm it. All he's been saying is "check out prog mag" so I guess that's all the confirmation he can give for now (but it basically says it all).
    Kelly Nordstrom as well! That's awesome news too! I always wondered why he wasn't a full-time member of the band.

WeatherWiseCDC
    This has been a weekend of crazy news. I'm sure it has been for a few of you as well. One thing after another.

1. New Star Wars trailer impresses everyone. Film studios release all of their big-time movie trailers in response (BatmanvSuperman, Fantastic 4, Jurassic World).
    2. Edmonton Oilers are the unlikely winners of the NHL Draft Lottery and are poised to draft "the next Gretzky."
    3. Dave Kerzner rejoins Sound of Contact...?
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 04-21-2015 at 06:02 AM.

Kelly Nordstrom as well! That's awesome news too! I always wondered why he wasn't a full-time member of the band.
    Apparently he left after the recording of the album.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Apparently he left after the recording of the album.
    I can't say for certain, but I'm just going to speculate that he intended to be only a studio musician for Dimensionaut (Dave, be sure to correct me if I'm wrong). He has collaborated with Simon Collins on numerous projects and is based out of Victoria, BC. That's very close to Vancouver, where Dimensionaut was recorded. One of the sources I read last year said that he "remains a collaborator." That was before this news, though.

I wonder if he has become a full-time member. That would be very cool news.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 04-21-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Well, if that is true, then this is excellent news!

Prog
    April 17 · Edited ·

Here we go then.. The wallet for Prog 55! Celebrating 40 years of Camel - Band's The Snow Goose - and talking about their headlining appearance on the Prog stage at Ramblin' Man Fair. Plus... Robert Wyatt, Dave Stewart, Caravan, Syd Arthur and more talk about the Canterbury Scene. And exclusive interviews with Jethro Tull, John Lodge, Steve Howe, Von Hertzen Brothers, Gavin Harrison, Ennio Morricone, WHITE HILLS, AudioPlastik, Barren Earth and Future User. Plus the story of Deram Records, and a tribute poster mag to the late Daevid Allen of Gong - Band - Steve Hillage, Robert Wyatt, Mike Howlett and more pay their respects.

On sale Weds April 22.
    "exclusive interviews with Jethro Tull...."

Score! Can't wait to hear what Jethro had to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    "exclusive interviews with Jethro Tull...."

Score! Can't wait to hear what Jethro had to say!
    Which one's Pink?