Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lars Hollmer tribute concert, Stockholm, 2010

Lars Hollmer tribute concert, Stockholm, 2010

Being a big Lars Hollmer fan, I would love to hear this concert. Only little snips can be found on youtube. Does anyone know if this concert is recorded and/or brought to cd?

Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Rio-grant View Post
    Being a big Lars Hollmer fan, I would love to hear this concert. Only little snips can be found on youtube. Does anyone know if this concert is recorded and/or brought to cd?

Cheers, Peter
    I'm with you on this one Peter! I've heard nothing to suggest it was recorded unfortunately.

Please write about Genesis/Yes instead.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Please write about Genesis/Yes instead.
    As you wish.

i like Lars Hollmer better than Yes.

Cheers, Peter

i like Lars Hollmer better than Yes.
    That's actually illicit, don't you know? Ah well, here's one who feels vindicated at the sheer possibility of containing such a sentiment.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Lars Hollmer from the Buggles? I wish he had produced at least one solo album of Phil Collins!

...But seriously.

I am not acquainted with his post-(Von)Zamla/Samla work. Am I missing anything as compelling as the output of his original band(s)? His solo discography is quite long. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-13-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Is it the concert(s) that took place on a ferry trip to finland from sweden?
    if my memory serves me...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That's actually illicit, don't you know?
    I plead guilty

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Any recommendations?
    For is post-samla work I favor the following

Lars Hollmer - " Andetag "
    Lars Hollmer - " Autokomp A(nd) More "
    Lars Hollmer - "Utsikter "
    Lars Hollmer's Global Home Project - " Sola „

The first solo records are quite folky, but with a twist. I can’t recommend them to the hard core symfo-fan. My favorite one of these albums is:
    Lars Hollmer - " XII Sibiriska Cyklar & Vill du Hora Mer "

cheers,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Is it the concert(s) that took place on a ferry trip to finland from sweden?
    Yes, I heard about those concerts.
    But I'm not sure if the Lars Hollmer tribute was one of these ferry-concerts.
    Anyone know?

cheers,
    Peter

But I'm not sure if the Lars Hollmer tribute was one of these ferry-concerts.
    Doesn't LOOK like it was on a ferry.

Venue: TEATER 3 at Rosenlundsgatan 3 (subway: Mariatorget) in Stockholm.
    Source. I don't see any video cameras in any of the still photos
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-13-2014 at 05:18 PM.

My absolute favorite is 'Vandelmässa' (1995)

This is one of my favorite songs of all time. I don't understand a word, but the melody is to kill for.

Looks like we're all going to recommend different albums. In my opinion, if you liked Samlas and Von Zamla then you should hear the Looping Home Orchestra recordings -the one called Vendeltid and the live album 'Door, Floor, Something, Window - live 1992-1993'. Also the later one off release by Samlas 'Kaka'. Most of them are out of print unfortunately but if you can find it the compilation of his 2,3 and 4 albums (Tonoga, Fran Natt Idag and Vendeltid ) is packed with great tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Also the later one off release by Samlas 'Kaka'.
    Kaka was one of the greatest "comeback" releases by an older 'progressive' band, IMHO. I played this day and night for months on getting it. The only thing not altogether beyond reproach here is the sometimes rather flat production (courtesy one Roine S.).

I would second the recommendation for "Floor Door Something Window". It's by a live, working band, and so it has a closer feel in that regard to Lars' other bands you like.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Thank you guys. I will start with the live disc and look up "Kaka" too. Live working bands more than often deliver and the reunion disc laudation written up by Scrotum sounds enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I would second the recommendation for "Floor Door Something Window". It's by a live, working band, and so it has a closer feel in that regard to Lars' other bands you like.
    I am just hearing this for the first time and I am pretty blown away. Just beautiful in every way.

Been listening to Viandra over the past few days and I"m really digging it. It has a lot of Swedish folk (or what sounds like that to me) mixed with more slightly experimental harmonies, textures, and forms. A pleasurable listen and it seems perfect for the summer heat here. Some names you may know that pop up in the liner notes on this album are Michel Berckmans, Morgan Agren, and Ulf Wallander. Recordings were made between 2001-2007, with one piece back from '89.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    This is one of my favorite songs of all time. I don't understand a word, but the melody is to kill for.

Google translate (because I'm lazy, and just got 2 hours sleep, because my dog got 6 puppies this night)

The song Vill du höra mer? (Do you want to hear more?) who came out in 1982 briefly discusses a young guy who, in desperation, broke the TV, got away from home and now hangs out and hopes to jump. The text is written as a dialogue between the teenager and someone trying to persuade him to come home. The teenager yells while the "helper" has a calmer and deeper voice. Slowly but surely, it is resonated until finally "the other" grabs the hand of the teenager and helps him up. The teenager agrees to talk with her parents and the song ends with hope of reconciliation. All to a background of polythythmic bass game, accordion and percussion. It's simply deeply personal, lifelike and brilliant, floating in a very own Hollmer universe.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 06-29-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Nice to see some Lars love all these years later.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Nice to see some Lars love all these years later.....
    I think that there is always a genuine heartfelt feeling in his music that speaks about what type of person he was. It seems to me that he was proud of his Swedish background, and this comes through in his music. Even at his most zany or wacky, there is never anything in his music that is hollow bullshit, it seems to be there for a reason. Humor shows up quite often, or is often just lurking around the corner, and I truly appreciate this lack of pretentiousness that is so often found in the music we call prog. At least this is what I get when I listen to him. Also, his melodies are usually just flat-out beautiful. I'm very glad and fortunate to have discovered this musical giant.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Also, his melodies are usually just flat-out beautiful.
    IMO he was the MASTER of melody of the RIO world.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Thank you guys. I will start with the live disc and look up "Kaka" too. Live working bands more than often deliver and the reunion disc laudation written up by Scrotum sounds enticing.
    Did you ever find 'Kaka'? It goes for heavy coin now....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Awesome!