Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camel - Breathless or I Can See Your House

I like both. There aren't any 100% perfect great Camel albums, but on the whole they're "greatness" quota is 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, etc. So there's usually a duff track or two (or more), but the albums are always redeemed by the tracks that are essential and wonderful. In the case of Breathless and I Can See Your House From Here, I think they're both around the 70% great mark.
    "Hymn to her", "Wait", "Who we are" (a little bit sappy but some great playing and a nice arrangement), "Ice" and "Eye of the storm" make the latter vital. On the former, there's "Echoes" of course, but also other other tracks like "Breathless" and "The Sleeper" are top-notch Camel.

They both have their moments, but I don't listen to either one very often. Shame that Kit's talents were criminally underutilized in Camel.
    flute juice

Overall, I prefer 'Breathless', which, as others have said, includes 'Echoes', which may be my favorite Camel song was well. The rest of Breathless I find enjoyable, certainly a summer album. 'Summer Lightning' is very emotional too.

'I Can See Your House' is different, and still has some great tunes. 'Eye of the Storm', 'Who We Are' (especially the beginning section-excellent!), Survival/Hymn To Her, and Ice are all a great listen. In the fall or winter, this one may sound better than Breathless so there you go...

Breathless is not a good album but it does happen to have the amazing Echoes on it.
    I Can See You House From Here was not a good album either but it did have the amazing Kit Watkins on it.

(I think I love early Camel way too much...)
    The Prog Corner

I think one has to bear in mind the climate as well- the late 70s saw a lot of prog bands floundering for a direction, hence the 'commercial' tracks (some of which are nicely done). I certainly think these Camel albums are better than 'Tormato' and 'Love Beach'- there's some bona fide classic Camel tracks on them, for one thing.

Even something like 'You Make Me Smile', which I remember laughing at someone's rather unloving description of it as a 'disco waltz', has a lovely little solo in the middle. And I find the song decidedly dodgy but 'Summer Lightning' has a great guitar solo.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Have people been mentioning A Wing and a Prayer? That's a great song from Breathless.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Speaking of Camels:

Mexico: Camel Attack Kills American

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSOCT. 15, 2014

A Chicago man who owned a wildlife park in the resort of Tulum has died after being kicked, bitten and sat on by a camel, and the authorities have seized the private park’s animals — including monkeys, llamas and a wild boar — pending an investigation. A statement posted by the sanctuary on its Facebook page said Richard Mileski, the owner, was 60. Rescuers had to use a rope tied to a pickup to pull the enraged camel off his body, according to a Tulum Civil Defense official, Alberto Canto. “The camel kicked and bit him practically to death, and when he was almost dead, he sat on him,” Mr. Canto said. While it was unclear why the camel attacked Mr. Mileski, Mr. Canto said, “One version is that he would always give him a Coca-Cola to drink, and apparently, that day he didn’t.”

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Speaking of Camels:

A Chicago man who owned a wildlife park in the resort of Tulum has died after being kicked, bitten and sat on by a camel, and the authorities have seized the private park’s animals — including monkeys, llamas and a wild boar — pending an investigation. A statement posted by the sanctuary on its Facebook page said Richard Mileski, the owner, was 60. Rescuers had to use a rope tied to a pickup to pull the enraged camel off his body, according to a Tulum Civil Defense official, Alberto Canto. “The camel kicked and bit him practically to death, and when he was almost dead, he sat on him,” Mr. Canto said. While it was unclear why the camel attacked Mr. Mileski, Mr. Canto said, “One version is that he would always give him a Coca-Cola to drink, and apparently, that day he didn’t.”
    Don't mess with Camel.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Speaking of Camels:

Better get on your boots and join us...Down On The Farm....
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)