Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Zeuhl: Magma and others

Banned
    Maybe:
    Vortex - cycles de Thanatos
    Koenjihyakkei
    Happy Family
    Universe Zeht (or summat loike that)

That Prat "Masal" suggestion is a good one. (Gots that menacing cosmic dissonance build-up thing going.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jymbot View Post
    That Prat "Masal" suggestion is a good one. (Gots that menacing cosmic dissonance build-up thing going.)
    It is a good album but it is not zeuhl at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludovico View Post
    It is a good album but it is not zeuhl at all!
    Hm, we're not quite in agreement here; J. P. Prat's Masal is "semi-Zeuhl" in the same sense as Rahmann, Vortex (2nd. album) and Dün were - i.e. experimental and "rehearsal-intensive" progressive rock with a rather distinct influence from Magma a.o. But Prat's current band, which is called Masal and released a CD some three years back (Galgal; no, don't ask!), certainly has even less Zeuhl about it than his 80s work.

Some other 80s Zeuhl obscurities were Michel Altmayer's Troll (one release, though not too good IMO), Musique Noise (one fairly nice record and another which was unfinished and didn't have a release until some ten years ago; this group was "tutored" by Eskaton), and finally drummer Eric Delaunay (RIP) and his band Tiemko. Delaunay's solo album from 1981 is quite OK, the Tiemko releases (all on Musea) are flawed but altogether rather interesting.

Last I heard, Altmayer is recording a new Troll album, and Musique Noise (who broke up in 1995 following the gig on the first YT-clip underneath) bizarrely posted a short studio session for an even more bizarrely Zeuhlish sounding song in 2008 (second down). Very, very odd stuff.

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-22-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hm, we're not quite in agreement here; J. P. Prat's Masal is "semi-Zeuhl" in the same sense as Rahmann, Vortex (2nd. album) and Dün were - i.e. experimental and "rehearsal-intensive" progressive rock with a rather distinct influence from Magma a.o. But Prat's current band, which is called Masal and released a CD some three years back (Galgal; no, don't ask!), certainly has even less Zeuhl about it than his 80s work.
    I know this album very well, i've seen the group performing live 3 times (during the lastest concert they played unrealeased tracks). This has nothing to do with Zeuhl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludovico View Post
    I know this album very well, i've seen the group performing live 3 times (during the lastest concert they played unrealeased tracks). This has nothing to do with Zeuhl.
    Of course not.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Not essential but definetely interesting: Rhùn - Ïh
    Reminds me of early Magma

http://rhunmusic.bandcamp.com/album/h-2

Their tags: experimental progressive rock contemporary garage zeuhl

Not sure if Musique Noise was mentioned:

Unfortunately, the tune is sped up on this upload, but the album is quite good imo.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Not essential but definetely interesting: Rhùn - Ïh
    Reminds me of early Magma
    http://rhunmusic.bandcamp.com/album/h-2
    They are talking with several labels, including SZ & Altrock.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Not sure if Musique Noise was mentioned: [...] the album is quite good imo.
    The outtakes (30+ minutes worth) for the second album are way better, I think; they can be heard with the Musea CD reissue of the album (now entitled Fulmines Integralis).

BTW, check a few posts above...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The outtakes (30+ minutes worth) for the second album are way better, I think; they can be heard with the Musea CD reissue of the album (now entitled Fulmines Integralis).

BTW, check a few posts above...

Ooops, gotcha!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Okay outside of Magma, I've been told that the following are essential...

• Eider Stellaire - 1st
    • Eskaton - 4 Visions
    • One Shot - Ewaz Vader
    • Weidorje - s/t
    • Zao - Z=7L
    thats a killer list!

At the risk of some classification freak shrieking "THEY'RE NOT ZUEHL!" I would agree with the recommendations of Xaal and Heldon, particularly Heldon - Stand By
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Okay, Eider Stellaire has proved a bit more challenging to get ahold of than I previously thought. I think I've got a solid order in now. In the mean time, I just received ZAO's Z=7L, and am just finishing my second spin. I was afraid that the vocals were going to be an issue, but that's not the case. The vocalist brings a great flavor to the music. There's something exultant in the human voice that no other instrument can match, and zeuhl bands seem to really get that. It's as true on Z=7L as anything I've yet heard (except maybe MDK, where it's even more true).

I'm still taking it all in, and it will probably take another good 3-5 listens before I really start to understand the music. But, I am already digging on some really cool parts here and there. These are all good signs of plenty of enjoyment to come.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I've got my copy of Eider Stellaire, though the nice, slimline digipack was absolutely trashed in transit. The disc itself was undamaged, though. So I have my initial list. Thanks for the guidance people!

I've another question to throw out to you: what your opinion of studio Magma vs. live Magma? I want to deepen my collection of the band. I've been so struck with the live stuff, I wonder if I might as well focus my attention there rather than the studio recordings.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

All Magma is good, just saying. But I always say, start with Magma Live.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    All Magma is good, just saying. But I always say, start with Magma Live.
    Seconded.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I felt it would be better to keep this contained instead of starting a whole new thread about essentially the same thing...

I know some don't consider Jean-Paul Prat's "Masal" album as being Zeuhl, but it sure comes close enough for me. I discovered this one last summer and still listen to it fairly often. Love the "big band zeuhl" sound as some have described it. Are there any other albums that sound somewhat like this one? Anyone know of any?

Also just discovered that Benoit Widemann's three solo albums are on Spotify, and have been listening to Tsunami today. Very nice stuff.

Jean-Paul Prat's "Masal" is more zeuhlish in my book than Widemans albums. which are good fusion with a zeuhl twist some places.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I know some don't consider Jean-Paul Prat's "Masal" album as being Zeuhl, but it sure comes close enough for me.
    me too. I really love that one.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    me too. I really love that one.
    You and me both, sir.

That was one of the best musical "discoveries" of recent years for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soleilzeuhl View Post
    They are talking with several labels, including SZ & Altrock.
    And now it is out on Altrock. Eagerly awaiting delivery from Wayside!

One of favorite recent discoveries

Damn that Olga is giving Marylise a run for her money as my fav girl drummer
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 06-18-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

Nice! Russians have been making some realy good music lately

If I read it correctly the band is: Protobajan or Protobaian
    and
    the track is called: Syncopated silence (? ) or Synkopiriovinaja tischina

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

wow, thanks for sharing, that clip made my day.

I don't know if this is hardcore Zeuhl but this album always makes me feel good every time I listen to it.

Last edited by progholio; 06-18-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Reading some of the older posts in this thread, I have to say I think Masal is a fantastic record. Is it zheul? Well, there's sections that kinda have a zheul vibe, but not as dark, maybe closer to Attahk than MDK. To me it actually kinda sounds like a cross between a sort of zheul thing and a sort of a Mike Oldfield vibe to me. Hey, close enough for rock n roll, right?

BTW, according to the liner notes of the Masal CD, Prat subsequently "found God" and as I understand it, most of his music since that has been very "Christian oriented", other than the bonus tracks that appear on the Masal CD. But of course, that's info more than 10 years old now. I don't know what he's been doing in the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Reading some of the older posts in this thread, I have to say I think Masal is a fantastic record. Is it zheul? Well, there's sections that kinda have a zheul vibe, but not as dark, maybe closer to Attahk than MDK. To me it actually kinda sounds like a cross between a sort of zheul thing and a sort of a Mike Oldfield vibe to me. Hey, close enough for rock n roll, right?

BTW, according to the liner notes of the Masal CD, Prat subsequently "found God" and as I understand it, most of his music since that has been very "Christian oriented", other than the bonus tracks that appear on the Masal CD. But of course, that's info more than 10 years old now. I don't know what he's been doing in the 21st century.
    Have you seen/heard his more recent album called Galgal? It was released under the band name Masal, with Jean-Paul Prat on keyboards/piano rather than drums. It's perhaps less overtly zeuhl than the 1980s album, more jazz/fusion, but still very good stuff.