Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: R&R Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees

I know Kansas have a lot of fans here, and I like some of their stuff a lot myself, but in before King Crimson? Really? (I feel much the same about Rush who did actually get in before King Crimson, The Moody Blues and Yes. Madness!)

The King Crimson debut was a game-changer, ask people here like mogrooves who were there at the time. It was also a huge success commercially. And it continues to have resonance- I remember seeing that film 'Children Of Men' a few years back and being taken aback by its title track being used prominently there.

The Rock Hall should get over petty agendas and move forward, instead it seems to be getting more insular. I'd agree that The Smiths should be there too, who did some of the best singles of the 1980s as far as I'm concerned- a very welcome antidote to some of the frothier stuff of that period.

[I know Kansas have a lot of fans here, and I like some of their stuff a lot myself, but in before King Crimson? Really?]

Kansas were huge commercially at one point selling out arenas or bigger. Their huge success maybe only lasted a little bit but I don't think KC ever played many arena shows(except maybe in Italy). If we go by album sales Kansas were much bigger also. I'm not saying Kansas should get in before KC just that it would be unlikely depending on how much a fanbase or popularity is a factor. KC probably has a lot more "hipster cred" than Kansas. As far as KC's debut being a huge success commercially well I suppose that's debatable. I think it had some success sure but it's more influential imo than it was a big commercial(key word being commercial)success. It was released in 1969 and didn't go gold until 1977. To this day it still has never gone platinum. Kansas on the other hand have 2 multi platinum albums and several gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Steve Hyden proposes rock hall fixes:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...trade-machine/

Is there an article/text there, or just that "infographic" thing?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Is there an article/text there, or just that "infographic" thing?
    It's text.

Now I can read it. I didn't get text the first time I clicked on it.

That said, this guy has some insane ideas for swaps, IMO. N.W.A. in favor of The Police??? Whitney Houston in a "rock and roll" HoF??
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Now I can read it. I didn't get text the first time I clicked on it.

That said, this guy has some insane ideas for swaps, IMO. N.W.A. in favor of The Police??? Whitney Houston in a "rock and roll" HoF??
    It's not an "either/or" that I think is important to make (or which even makes much sense), but if forced to pick one, I would agree with NWA over The Police, mostly for the reasons he states.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    For an institution most of us agree is a load of crap we sure get it a lot of attention. If it sucks that bad let it go. If you absolutely need a true R&R hall of fame, start one.
    My thoughts exactly. People keep saying it's irrelevant, but then in the next breath it's "Why isn't _____ in there yet?"