Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Songs that have been banned !

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I didn't like Nixon either. But he WAS the elected president, and if you say it's OK to slip LSD into his punch, it's not a big step away from saying it's permissible to slip something a little more nasty into the drink of a president that you might actually be more fond of.

Had Grace succeeded in getting in to the dinner, I think a far better tactic would have been to somehow turn the conversation to recreational drugs. if she believes that it's OK, or even good, for people to take LSD, then she should say so. It probably wouldn't have swayed Nixon, but it would certainly have turned a few heads and made for interesting press.
    I think that Grace knew that starting a debate wouldn't have gotten anywhere with the Whitehouse squares and the kiss-ass Kling-ons at the party. Her best chance to have anything changed (if she expected anything from going to that party) was to have them try without their consent.

Grace Slick was not only a party girl, but she was probably the most rebellious activist in the Airplane.

BTW, I don't really dislike Nixon (a Rep) more than LBJ (a Dem)... At least, Nixon had the wisdom to pull out of Vietnam as soon as it was feasible... LBJ certainly had US' involvement deeper and deeper in Nam... You'd expect the opposite nowadays (since the Reps are generally more of warmongers), but back then the Dems were just as right-wing as the Reps... LBJ was old guard and obviously the Robert Kennedy's (who was friendly with the Airplane dudes >> Pooneil was RK's dog's name > its picture is on the back cover of Crown Of Creation) assassination was commandited by LBJ backers IMHO.

==============

This turned into a decent thread, uh??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    BTW, I don't really dislike Nixon (a Rep) more than LBJ (a Dem)... At least, Nixon had the wisdom to pull out of Vietnam as soon as it was feasible... LBJ certainly had US' involvement deeper and deeper in Nam... You'd expect the opposite nowadays (since the Reps are generally more of warmongers), but back then the Dems were just as right-wing as the Reps... LBJ was old guard and obviously the Robert Kennedy's (who was friendly with the Airplane dudes >> Pooneil was RK's dog's name > its picture is on the back cover of Crown Of Creation) assassination was commandited by LBJ backers IMHO.

==============

I remember reading a book by Gore Vidal, where someone decides to vote for the Republicans, because LBJ supported the war in Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I remember reading a book by Gore Vidal, where someone decides to vote for the Republicans, because LBJ supported the war in Vietnam.
    And then you get that Televangelist Pat Robertson (who ran for office some 15 years ago) that justifies that his dad was a Democrat: "but that was BEFORE the party was taken over by those liberal/libertarian in 67"... in some ways, what nerves the man has, but not false either.

The Dems' slight political direction were one of the effects of the hippie idealism (see that thread on the main forum)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended

It did?

I never intended to start a discussion US politics. I was merely trying to make the point that even if you don't personally support someone (in this case, Nixon), you should respect their human rights.

Is it a "right" not to have your drink spiked against your will? You bet it is.

There is another thread where there is lots of talk about "lost hippie idealism." Well I think the hippies had some great ideals, but the idea that everyone should be tripping on LSD or be labelled uncool wasn't one of them. Even if you accept the premise that taking LSD of your own free will is OK (and I'm not sure I do), it's a very different issue when you feed it to some other unwitting person, possibly fucking up their lives. Interesting how many of those people railed against their parents and the government telling them how to live their lives, yet they were happy to try and make other people's decisions for them on matters like whether or not they wished to indulge in recreational drugs.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 10-16-2014 at 11:49 AM.

It did?

I never intended to start a discussion US politics. I was merely trying to make the point that even if you don't personally support someone (in this case, Nixon), you should respect their human rights.

There is another thread where there is lots of talk about "lost hippie idealism." Well I think the hippies had some great ideals, but the idea that everyone should be tripping on LSD or be labelled uncool wasn't one of them. Even if you accept the premise that taking LSD of your own free will is OK (and I'm not sure I do), it's a very different issue when you feed it to some other unwitting person, possibly fucking up their lives. Interesting how many of those people railed against their parents and the government telling them how to live their lives, yet they were happy to try and make other people's decisions for them on matters like whether or not they wished to indulge in recreational drugs.
    yeah, I got mixed with that thread when speaking about decent thread.

Of course it isn't right to spike drinks, but it should allowed when it comes to rigid republicans that are shortsighted about life issues

There is another thread where there is lots of talk about "lost hippie idealism." Well I think the hippies had some great ideals, but the idea that everyone should be tripping on LSD or be labelled uncool wasn't one of them. Even if you accept the premise that taking LSD of your own free will is OK (and I'm not sure I do), it's a very different issue when you feed it to some other unwitting person, possibly fucking up their lives.
    Being a musician for many years I've known lots of people who took LSD and they all told me the same thing...if you have any doubt whatsoever about your ability to handle it, stay the hell away. While the idea of hallucinogens and what I might see is sometimes fascinating, I'm happy to live vicariously through my friends tripping stories because I know without a shadow of doubt I couldn't deal with it. I can't imagine what would happen if someone 'dosed' me
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

BTW, I don't really dislike Nixon (a Rep) more than LBJ (a Dem)... At least, Nixon had the wisdom to pull out of Vietnam as soon as it was feasible... LBJ certainly had US' involvement deeper and deeper in Nam...
    Toward the end of his presidency LBJ tried to broker a peace accord, which Nixon deliberately sabotaged.

The stupid thing about LBJ and Vietnam is there's a recording of a cabinet meeting from early in our involvement there (at least early in relation to how it ended up playing out), with LBJ admitting he didn't see how a "satisfactory outcome was achievable", yet he pressed forward with the matter. And at least one of his advisors, Robert McNamara, admitted in the 90's that we should have backed out around the time LBJ sat down in the hot seat.

But yes, the old school Dems were assholes, too. Orville Faubus, the governor of Arkansas (and name sake of the Charles Mingus piece Fables Of Faubus) was a Dem and he was opposed to integration.

Actually, come to think of it, the Dems are assholes now, too, given that they can't keep out of the affairs of other countries any better than the Reps. Or maybe we're so deep in the dren in the Middle East, there's no way to extricate ourselves. (shrug)
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 10-16-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Suspended
    ^^ but can you think of any other songs that have been banned?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Actually, come to think of it, the Dems are assholes now, too, given that they can't keep out of the affairs of other countries any better than the Reps. Or maybe we're so deep in the dren in the Middle East, there's no way to extricate ourselves. (shrug)
    I'd rather that this doesn't get much further, but the Dems got pulled in into the present situation in the mid-east (though Obama was way too vocal about Syria when that revolution started) by half the planet screaming for them to do something. The Rep/Bush administration jumped both feet in the Irak quagmire, even creating "proofs" to justify it.

We can continue if you wish, but in PM.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Yup, that's about the way I could picture the guards refusing access on purely "felon face" criterias...

But what a dumb mistake for Grace to pick as a date such a well-known activist (he'd written Woodstock Nation ansd Steal This Book and was a member of the troublemaking YIP (Youth International Party). She would've succeeded getting in (and maybe spike the punch bow) if she'd gone with 3/4 of the US population at her arn.

Not sure how she would've concealed LSD under her nails, though. A small veil up her pussy, taken out at the ladies room would've been so more doable.
    One of the things about people such as Grace Slick is that you don't know how much of this is embellished. She's repeated it often, but it always sounds rather preposterous.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I'd rather that this doesn't get much further, but the Dems got pulled in into the present situation in the mid-east (though Obama was way too vocal about Syria when that revolution started) by half the planet screaming for them to do something. The Rep/Bush administration jumped both feet in the Irak quagmire, even creating "proofs" to justify it.

We can continue if you wish, but in PM.
    The mentioning of Grace Slick was not to start political commentary but to point out that she was controversial. So. let's shit can the political diatribes.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I can't imagine what would happen if someone 'dosed' me
    I believe that you'd lose your hair, your head would become perfectly round, your face would turn morning piss yellow, and you'd start puking up a dark blue liquid.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    One of the things about people such as Grace Slick is that you don't know how much of this is embellished. She's repeated it often, but it always sounds rather preposterous.

Indeed, the legend is probably made of 50% her fantasies

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    The mentioning of Grace Slick was not to start political commentary but to point out that she was controversial. So. let's shit can the political diatribes.
    best done that way. Not the place for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I believe that you'd lose your hair, your head would become perfectly round, your face would turn morning piss yellow, and you'd start puking up a dark blue liquid.
    let alone confusing the punch bowl with the porcelain bowl and drinking from it, mistaking the family dog for the bitchy party host and trying to engage sex, phoning the police to signal 160 ghost drivers on the freeway you just engaged upon.

^^ but can you think of any other songs that have been banned?
    In Germany lots of songs are banned today - those with nazi content.
    Actually I believe these bands are banned from any airplay or public distribution in Germany.
    Some years ago Germany got a distribution in Denmark of this sort of music closed, even though its not illegal here.