Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Songs that have been banned !

I've banned songs. For example, "I Will Survive" is not permitted to play in my house.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Paul Rothschild had to edit "...high" out of the Doors song 'Break on Through" to please the powers that be at the time. instead of "she gets", the original version said "She gets high". also banned was the repetition of "fuck" in 'The End' but they left in the repetition of "Kill". But on the Strange Days album, a couple of minutes into "When The Music's Over" after the third "Until the end" there's a scream, but what's being screamed is the line "Fuck her in the ass!". I've been a Doors fan for 40+ years and I just learned about that this year.

and that's your Doors lesson for the day, the few of you that care.

Suspended
    Speaking of The Doors...

On their cover of Van Morrison's "Gloria", do they say at one point "Wrap your lips around my cock", or am I mishearing it? It's certainly not part of Van's original lyric.

Wasn't there an edited version of Locomotive Breath that exchanged 'by the balls' with 'by the fun'?

Maybe not banned, but if I recall right the Monkees had to change the title of "Randy Scouse Git" for England airplay, and they called it "Alternate Title".
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Speaking of The Doors...

On their cover of Van Morrison's "Gloria", do they say at one point "Wrap your lips around my cock", or am I mishearing it? It's certainly not part of Van's original lyric.
    You're hearing correctly. Jim was improvising, as he was wont to do.

This is from the 2nd Aquarius show July 21, 1969
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHyUaO9n49k

What you asked about is from the album called Backstage and Dangerous: The Private Rehearsal, which was not backstage but an onstage rehearsal that was recorded
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6LffrZTxPA

Interesting contrast on the Ed Sullivan show:

Jim Morrison was instructed not to sing the word "higher" as in "Girl we couldn't get much.." He obeyed in rehearsals but sang "higher' for the live vocal performance.
    Mick Jagger was instructed not to sing "the night" as in "Let's spend the night together." during the 'live' performance, he sang "some time" and one time rolled his eyes to show how he felt about it, but he still complied.

The Doors were then banned from the Ed Sullivan show. Did that hurt their career or enhance it? Likewise, did Mick's capitulation affect the Stones career one way or the other, even temporarily? or should I start another thread with this post.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Three pages in and no mention of The Nice' America?
    For their second single, The Nice created an arrangement of Leonard Bernstein's "America" which Emerson described as the first ever instrumental protest song. It not only uses the Bernstein piece (from West Side Story) but also includes fragments of Dvořák's New World Symphony. The single concludes with a child (who, according to Emerson's biography, is P. P. Arnold's three-year old son) speaking the lines "America is pregnant with promise and anticipation, but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable." The new arrangement was released under the title "America (Second Amendment)" as a pointed reference to the US Bill of Rights provision for the bearing of arms. In July 1968, the British music magazine, NME, reported that the band had asked their record label, Immediate Records, to withdraw a controversial poster advertising the single. It pictured the group members with small boys on their knees, with superimposed images of the faces of John F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King on the children's heads. The band's spokesperson said "Several record stores have refused to stock our current single .... the Nice feel if the posters are issued in America they will do considerable harm".[7]

During the long and wildly popular tour that followed the release of their second album, the group spawned controversy when Emerson burned an American flag onstage during a performance of "America" at a charity event, “Come Back Africa” in London's Royal Albert Hall, on 26 June 1968, provoking a big controversy and a "lifetime ban". The Nice were banned from ever playing the Royal Albert Hall again, though Keith Emerson played again at the venue with Emerson, Lake and Palmer in October 1992.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nice
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Sibelius' Finlandia was banned during the time that Finland was ruled by the Russian Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Maybe not banned, but if I recall right the Monkees had to change the title of "Randy Scouse Git" for England airplay, and they called it "Alternate Title".
    Which I always thought was weird, because apparently "Randy Scouse Git" is a very rude phrase (apparently roughly translated, it means "Horny Liverpudlian bastard"), though Mickey has always insisted he heard the phrase in an episode of Til Death Do Us Part that he saw while he was in the UK during a promo tour.

About The Stones on Ed Sulllivan, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think anyone cared. The Stones were still "scary" to parents, and even if Mick sang something different on one TV appearance, everyone knew the song was actually called Let's Spend The Night Together, and that was "just plain rude" or whatever.

BTW, if you watch the clip carefully, you can see Mick rolling his eyes as he sings "Let's spend some time together", so clearly he thought it was stupid that he was being "forced" to do it.

As for The Doors, I think it would have hurt them if they had done Sullivan more than just the one time. You get into a tenuous thing with crossover appeal, when it comes to rock music. You want a big audience (at least in theory), but you don't want to end up having to do stuff that's "family oriented or whatever. It's the same thing with ballads, ok, now you've done the ballad, the record company released it as a single, it went top ten...now you gotta maintain that audience who really only wants to hear just more ballads (or at least that's what the A&R henchman keeps telling you).

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post

Jim Morrison was instructed not to sing the word "higher" as in "Girl we couldn't get much.." He obeyed in rehearsals but sang "higher' for the live vocal performance.
    He really put the emphasis on the word as well.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

From Wiki:

Rupert Holmes has cited the country song "Sixteen Tons" (a song about the hard life of a coal miner) and the 1959 film adaptation of the Tennessee Williams play Suddenly, Last Summer (which also contains allusions to cannibalism) as inspirations for "Timothy." He decided to combine the themes of those two works into a ballad of three miners trapped by a cave-in, sung in the first person from the perspective of one of the miners. By the time they're rescued, only two of them remain. Although the fate of the missing man, Timothy, is never explicitly revealed, it is strongly implied by the fact that the two survivors, once hungry and with no access to food, show no sign of hunger when they're rescued. Indeed, the singer's "stomach was full as it could be". To make the song appealing to listeners, Holmes disguised the borderline-gruesome lyrics to a degree by juxtaposing them against a light, bouncy melody with heavy emphasis on brass and string accompaniment.

Although not an official member of the band, Holmes did play piano on this song in addition to writing it.

"Timothy" attracted little attention when it was first released, in large part because Scepter Records did not promote the record. Soon, however, it became popular among young listeners who were able to deduce Timothy's fate from the lyrics. Only as the song became more frequently requested did radio stations begin to take note of the song and its unsettling subject matter. Then, just as Holmes and the Buoys had expected, the song started getting banned.

Under normal circumstances, a radio ban would be considered the "kiss of death" for a single's prospects on the Billboard music charts, which at that time were based heavily on radio airplay. Yet "Timothy" had already attracted such a great following that as some radio stations banned the song, competing stations would pick it up to meet the demand. As a result, instead of dropping off as expected, the song continued slowly moving up the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Once they realized they had a hit record on their hands, Scepter Records executives tried to claim that Timothy was really a mule, not a person, in order to get radio stations that had banned the song to reconsider. When asked about this claim, however, Holmes refused to play along with the Scepter executives. Even so, "Timothy" kept climbing the chart, finally peaking at #17. Holmes' entrepreneurial approach to songwriting had worked better than he, the Buoys, or Scepter Records ever expected. To appease the stations that banned the song, Scepter created two promotional singles with the original version on the A-sides and one of two differently edited versions on the B-sides. One edit revises the lyric "My stomach was full as it could be" to "Both of us fine as we could be". The second version includes the "stomach" lyric but bleeps out the word "hell" in the second verse. The record labels (in black and white for promotional issues) indicate these versions under the song title as "Revised Lyric" (SDR-12275) and "Edited, Bleeped Out" (SDJ-12275), respectively. There is no known version of the song with both edits in the same mix.

In the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode featuring Monster A Go-Go, Crow and Servo are discussing Rupert Holmes's Pińa Colada Song, and Joel Robinson asserts that, as a pop songwriter, Rupert Holmes always wrote about contemporary popular trends. The robots retort by citing "Timothy" ("That was about cannibalism. When was that popular?"), but Joel assures the robots that it is a "well-known fact that Timothy was a duck."

From Songfacts:

Holmes: "At the time, I was working on an arrangement of '16 Tons,' the Tennessee Ernie Ford hit from the '50s, for an artist named Andy Kim. While I was working on the arrangement, there was a cooking show on the TV in the kitchen. It was called The Galloping Gourmet with Graham Kerr. It's on in the background and I'm singing the lyrics to '16 Tons,' playing it to a kind of vamp sort of like 'Proud Mary,' and I sing 'Some people say a man is made out of mud, a coal man's made out of muscle and blood. Muscle and blood and skin and bones, a mind that's weak and a back that's...' and I think, you know, that almost sounds like a recipe - muscle and blood and skin and bones, bake in a moderate oven for 2 hours, top with Miracle Whip. I had seen the movie Suddenly Last Summer about a week earlier on TV, and it had a revelation about cannibalism in it, and I thought, If it's good enough for Tennessee Williams, it's good enough for The Buoys. So I thought, Cannibalism during a mining disaster, that'll get banned. It's not like I'm really telling people to go out and eat someone, this is just this dark, horrible thing that happened in this story. So I write this lyric: 'Timothy, Timothy, where on Earth did you go?' It's about three boys who are trapped in a mine with water but no food for maybe a week. When they're pulled free, they don't remember what happened, but they know they're not hungry. One of them is missing, and that's Timothy. We record this on the weekend and I don't think about it again."

When this was released, some little radio stations played it and kids would hear it and figure out what it was about. They would call and request the song, and the radio stations, surprised by the phone response, would then listen to the song to find out what it was about. Says Holmes: "They played the song originally because it had a nice rhythm, kind of like a Creedence Clearwater Revival feel. It was catchy enough, but then they'd hear what the song was about and say 'We can't be playing this, it's about cannibalism!' and they'd pull the song off the air. The kids would call in and say 'Why'd you pull the song off the air,' and they'd say, 'Because it's disgusting, you shouldn't be listening to stuff like that.' Well, all you have to do is tell a teenage kid that he shouldn't be listening to something because it's disgusting and vile and loathsome, and he'll demand it. So the record, unlike "Pina Colada," which vaulted up the charts, went up like one or two digits every week. It was on the charts forever. Stations were playing it, kids were clamoring for it, it would move up the charts, then the station would pull it, the kids would clamor more and some other station would go on it to satisfy that demand. It just kept going up the charts."

Holmes: "Scepter Records in the beginning did not even know it was on their label. The promotion men for Scepter Records, who were trying to break a Beverly Bremers single, would say, 'We couldn't get it on that station, they went with this stupid song called Timothy.' Finally, someone said, 'You idiot, it's on our label.' Now they have a problem, because now they're getting up towards the top 20, and they know there are some big stations that are simply not going to play this record. WABC-AM, the biggest station at the time, they never played it. Scepter Records started a rumor that Timothy was a mule to try to get the taint of cannibalism out of the picture and try to make it a Top-10 record. Someone called me and said, 'Was Timothy a mule? You wrote it.' And I said 'No, what can I tell you, they ate him.'

Holmes: "Whenever people talk about Timothy, I always say, 'Where did you come from?' Because that always lets me know. If they were from Florida, it was big there, if they were from Pennsylvania, very big. Texas, they know it. But if you're from New York you've never heard of it." (Thanks to Rupert Holmes for speaking with us about this song. To learn more about Rupert, check out rupertholmes.com.)

That's probably more info than needed but what the hell. It's more info on a obscure song that no one you will ever meet, ever, will know about. Could be good for winning some bar bets, maybe, but I don't know what else all that useless info is good for. Can't really blame me for this one as you did ask for banned songs.
    Other songs involving cannibalism (although never popular enough to be banned): Grace Slick and Paul Kantner's "Silver Spoons" and Hawkwind's "Star Cannibal". Both bands have had other songs banned-"We Can Be Together" (Jefferson Airplane for Kantner and Slick) and the aforementioned "Urban Guerilla" (oddly, Dave Brock was almost arrested as a terrorist with the Bader Meinhof gang because Bob Calvert was running around spouting delusional theories, and Grace Slick was denied entry into a White House function because she showed up with Abbie Hoffman, who I think was a suspected terrorist).
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post

Mick Jagger was instructed not to sing "the night" as in "Let's spend the night together." during the 'live' performance, he sang "some time" and one time rolled his eyes to show how he felt about it, but he still complied.

The Doors were then banned from the Ed Sullivan show. Did that hurt their career or enhance it? Likewise, did Mick's capitulation affect the Stones career one way or the other, even temporarily? or should I start another thread with this post.
    I think banning has an effect based on the band's image. If a band is already controversial or has a "bad" image, getting banned shoots them up on the popularity scandal. It's like each radio station refusing to play their album is a trophy to them and adds to their credibility with fans. Likewise, a band who is considered harmless or wholesome can tarnish their image with a banned song because their fan base has them on some pedestal of behavior.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Mick Jagger rolled his eyes *every* time he sang the 'new' line in that Ed Sullivan performance, making his distaste clear in a very camp fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Mick Jagger rolled his eyes *every* time he sang the 'new' line in that Ed Sullivan performance, making his distaste clear in a very camp fashion!
    Yeah, I think I made that point already.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Wasn't there an edited version of Locomotive Breath that exchanged 'by the balls' with 'by the fun'?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, I think I made that point already.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-14-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Grace Slick was denied entry into a White House function because she showed up with Abbie Hoffman, who I think was a suspected terrorist).
    Well, Abbie Hoffman was a known subversive, which in the eyes of the likes of Richard Nixon was just as bad as being a terrorist. I don't think Grace ever actually said why she was denied entry.

The story goes that Grace was invited to a tea social (or whatever you call it) at the White House because she had gone to the same finishing school as one of Nixon's daughters, and I guess they thought it'd be a great photo op to invite her entire class from school or whatever. What nobody realized that was the former Grace Wing was now Grace Slick, of the notorious Jefferson Airplane.

So Grace gets invited, and she cooks up this scheme to spike the tea with acid. So she plans to sneak some in under her fingernail or whatever. So she needs an "escort", so she chooses Abby. They had him get a haircut, shave, put him in a suit, and he still looked like trouble.

So they get up to the front gate and the guard refuses to let them in. Grace says, "We have an invitation", so the guard goes back to the guard shack, talks to someone on the phone, and comes back and repeats that he can't let them in. She said something like, "He didn't know why, but he was right". Now whether the guard recognized her, Abby, both or neither, is anybody's guess, but he somehow figured out something wasn't kosher about these two, and exercised his authority to deny them entry past his guard post.

Not banned but censored, I've heard that the song 96 tears was originally written as 69 tears, but they were forced to change it because of it's sexual content.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So Grace gets invited, and she cooks up this scheme to spike the tea with acid. So she plans to sneak some in under her fingernail or whatever. So she needs an "escort", so she chooses Abby. They had him get a haircut, shave, put him in a suit, and he still looked like trouble.

So they get up to the front gate and the guard refuses to let them in. Grace says, "We have an invitation", so the guard goes back to the guard shack, talks to someone on the phone, and comes back and repeats that he can't let them in. She said something like, "He didn't know why, but he was right". Now whether the guard recognized her, Abby, both or neither, is anybody's guess, but he somehow figured out something wasn't kosher about these two, and exercised his authority to deny them entry past his guard post.
    Yup, that's about the way I could picture the guards refusing access on purely "felon face" criterias...

But what a dumb mistake for Grace to pick as a date such a well-known activist (he'd written Woodstock Nation ansd Steal This Book and was a member of the troublemaking YIP (Youth International Party). She would've succeeded getting in (and maybe spike the punch bow) if she'd gone with 3/4 of the US population at her arn.

Not sure how she would've concealed LSD under her nails, though. A small veil up her pussy, taken out at the ladies room would've been so more doable.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Call me a killjoy, but I don't find the idea of spiking anyone's drinks with any drug particularly funny. That's especially true if it's your host, whether that host is the President or some nobody. If she had succeeded, she probably would have been charged with a criminal offence, and she would have deserved to be.

Call me a killjoy, but I don't find the idea of spiking anyone's drinks with any drug particularly funny. That's especially true if it's your host, whether that host is the President or some nobody. If she had succeeded, she probably would have been charged with a criminal offence, and she would have deserved to be.
    Nixon might have grown a neurone or two and a sense of decency after taking a few hits of LSD
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Nixon might have grown a neurone or two and a sense of decency after taking a few hits of LSD
    I didn't like Nixon either. But he WAS the elected president, and if you say it's OK to slip LSD into his punch, it's not a big step away from saying it's permissible to slip something a little more nasty into the drink of a president that you might actually be more fond of.

Had Grace succeeded in getting in to the dinner, I think a far better tactic would have been to somehow turn the conversation to recreational drugs. if she believes that it's OK, or even good, for people to take LSD, then she should say so. It probably wouldn't have swayed Nixon, but it would certainly have turned a few heads and made for interesting press.

"Dosing" someone with LSD to "turn them on" without their knowledge certainly did occur at that time and was one of the ways the fraternity was expanded...according to George Harrison The Beatles were introduced to the drug in exactly that way. While it can sound funny, the danger with it is that some people are just simply not wired to be able to deal with LSD (or hallucinogens of any kind) and their reaction can be pretty horrific. If Gracie had succeeded I imagine they would have had to create a new felony called "psychic assault" or something - sounds like the title of a Hawkwind song

The most well known example of "dosing" I know of is when the Grateful Dead were appearing on this cheesy show hosted by Hugh Hefner called "Playboy After Dark". I imagine they booked the Dead to show how cool and groovy Hugh was...anyway, before the show someone (Phil Lesh I believe) "dosed" the water cooler with LSD. By the time the show was half over, several of the cameramen had left their posts and were wandering around or had left the studio altogether. The only reason Hugh didn't get dosed was he was drinking Pepsi

Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    "Dosing" someone with LSD to "turn them on" without their knowledge certainly did occur at that time and was one of the ways the fraternity was expanded...according to George Harrison The Beatles were introduced to the drug in exactly that way.
    Supposedly that was how Patti LaBelle experienced her one and only acid trip. Which resulted in the bizarre, rambling monologue in the second half of this extended Cat Stevens cover:

While it can sound funny, the danger with it is that some people are just simply not wired to be able to deal with LSD (or hallucinogens of any kind) and their reaction can be pretty horrific.
    Exactly why the people that argue that “marijuana is completely harmless” are full of shit.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...