Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD burning question

CD burning question

I make mix cds to play in my store. I'll take promo's that I get or used cds or stuff from my personal collection and put it on disc. I use Nero to burn these. Lately, the Pioneer 25 disc changer I have doesn't want to play the recent ones I've burned. I had another computer that died recently and anything I burned in it would play fine on the Pioneer. Anything I make on my current computer will not play in the changer, although up until a year or so ago they would. Discs that I burn now will play in my home cd player and in the car but not the 25 disc changer. Older burned discs play fine in the changer. I've tried burning at 16x instead of 48x and that's not helping either. Sometimes, if I burn a disc about 3 or 4 times one will eventually work. Yesterday I burned one and it would play at first but today it would not play. Any ideas for solving this?

Thanks!

Bill
    Last edited by Adm.Kirk; 10-08-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Not sure of the answer, but maybe cheap media? I've burned some that work on several players at home, then I discover they won't work on any of several players at my friend's house or even on his computer.
    <sig out of order>

Yep, some media like Memorex can be really squirrley. And then, some really cheap stuff like generic Office Town discs work every time for me. Also make sure you haven't inadvertently changed formats like from CD+R to CD-R or something. I don't know how much of a factor that even is any more but back in the day many disks would burn in some players but not others. Although I though playback once burned was pretty much universal. There was also dumb stuff like the color of the substrate causing problems in some players which afaik is sorted these days.

I'm using Maxell but it's a problem when I've used other discs too.

Could it be the Pioneer player? I ask as my old Sony boom-box is beginning to balk at some burned CD's - 'noDisc'

I sometimes have to remove the CD and reinsert two or three times before it recognizes it
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk
    Anything I make on my current computer will not play in the changer, although up until a year or so ago they would. Discs that I burn now will play in my home cd player and in the car but not the 25 disc changer.
    I don't know how to fix it, but the fault lies in the changer's CD player. If it were the media or the burner, the problem discs would not play in any of your players, with the possible exception of the player of the burner that created it. I have a CD player that will rarely play computer-burned discs, even though the manufacturer claims it will.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I download dvds from Dime, but don't have time to watch them now. The first one I burned was a pro shot John McLaughlin from a jazz fest in Europe. I checked it on my 10" portable dvd player and it looked fantastic, so I figured everything was okay. Everything is okay as long as I watch them on that player, but they won't play on any other players I have or my neighbor has or another friend with an incredible home theater system. So my friend took the dvds I made for him when he went to visit a friend in Florida and they played great on his player. So the moral of the story is sometimes you are a butterfly, and sometimes you are a marshmallow. You will have to ask my middle daughter to explain that story to you if you ever meet her.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I tend to lean toward's the player being the problem as well but what's confusing me is that the older computer I had been using for this until it died last month, would burn CDs that played just fine in the changer. That just seems odd that the changer would read discs burned in one computer and not discs burned in another.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I have a CD player that will rarely play computer-burned discs, even though the manufacturer claims it will.
    Burned cd's dont track so well as factorymade. There is atracking correction circuit in a CDplayer, and the mecanism is sort of mecanically functioning. It gets worn, and if you play tons of CDR's it goes much faster.

So I used Windows Media Player instead of Nero. The disc would not play on the first track, but skipped to second track and it's playing.

If it is the player, they don't make them anymore so not sure how I'll get around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I download dvds from Dime, but don't have time to watch them now. The first one I burned was a pro shot John McLaughlin from a jazz fest in Europe. I checked it on my 10" portable dvd player and it looked fantastic, so I figured everything was okay. Everything is okay as long as I watch them on that player, but they won't play on any other players I have or my neighbor has or another friend with an incredible home theater system. So my friend took the dvds I made for him when he went to visit a friend in Florida and they played great on his player. So the moral of the story is sometimes you are a butterfly, and sometimes you are a marshmallow. You will have to ask my middle daughter to explain that story to you if you ever meet her.
    Dvd's are a very different animal...CD's don't usually have such compatibility issues.
    <sig out of order>

So this morning I try to play the disc again and after playing nearly the whole thing last night would not read it today. I give up.

Bill
    Last edited by Adm.Kirk; 10-09-2014 at 10:40 AM.

There are data CDs and digital audio CDs. While either can be used to burn music, the data ones might not be readable by all CD players. If you have been using data discs, try digital audio ones.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've had many more issues with the audio CDs than the data ones. YMMV.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I make mix cds to play in my store.
    I give up.
    Ever try an MP3 player/iPod?

That sounds like a perfect solution for you.

With stand alone cd players it may be possible to adjust the screw that controls the lens. If you're handy, you can take it apart and look for the adjusting screw. Make sure you mark where it is currently! I'm sure you can google this and find a video on youtube to help guide the way. I had a fussy cd player and was able to correct it with adjustments. In fact, I need to go back in and re-adjust it because it's now balking at reading cds occasionally and spitting them back out. Good luck!
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

I've been considering an MP.3 player. Mainly because these multi disc players are no longer being manufactured. I checked out some on line but I have zero experience with them. Can anybody recommend a good basic player? 8GB should be enough.

Bill
    Last edited by Adm.Kirk; 10-10-2014 at 01:41 AM.

I've been considering an MP.3 player. Mainly because these multi disc players are no longer being manufactured. I checked out some on line but I have zero experience with them. Can anybody recommend a good basic player? 8GB should be enough.

Bill
    Before you determine what capacity you need, determine what bit rate you expect to be using. If low, like 128 k, then 8GB could be enough. If you go higher to, say, 320, that might not be enough. For example, Hot Rats at 320 is about 115 MB. So, you could eat up 8GB pretty quickly at that rate.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I hadn't thought about that. Very good point. I do want something I don't have to use Itunes for. Nothing elaborate. Just something that will hold a lot of music, is simple to use and will sound halfway decent.

I had a ZUNE and loved it. Way cheaper than an iPod. Of course the MS ZUNE sofware was a bit of a nightmare but so is iTunes and you don't really need to use it.

I lost track of all the different players out there. I only use iPods now. in fact just bought a new Touch 5g 32gig ($250 - 10%). in the past though I had a couple of different Creative muvo players and one Transcend (which was a piece of junk). the Creatives were pretty good - Creative had its own file explorer type software that worked pretty well and was easy to learn.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I had 2 Sony burners that were not recognizing media. Trns out the firmware needed updating as the newer recordable media was not in the burners reptoir. I ended up replacing the burners rather than trying to update the firmware. Possibly a similar compatabilty issue. Do you have and older blank media disc you could try?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk
    Mainly because these multi disc players are no longer being manufactured.
    I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. Don't forget, you can sometimes find "obsolete" gear at thrift stores. Most will give you a week for electronics to determine if it works properly, and refund your money as long as you return it within that time. I have purchased a cd player, a dvd player, and a high quality cassette deck at great savings and had no trouble with any of them. The old CD player I got (and am listening to now) will so far play any CD or CDR I put in it.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm keeping an eye out in second hand shops. I had someone give me a 300 disc Sony changer but its doesn't even work. It will only power up.

As far as firmware, I doubt that's the problem but it might be worth looking into.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I had 2 Sony burners that were not recognizing media. Trns out the firmware needed updating as the newer recordable media was not in the burners reptoir. I ended up replacing the burners rather than trying to update the firmware. Possibly a similar compatabilty issue. Do you have and older blank media disc you could try?
    This was true for CDs as well as DVDs? I've only heard of DVDs being a problem when it comes to firmware...
    <sig out of order>