Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evergrey

Evergrey

For those into prog metal, you should check out the latest from Evergrey. For me, they are a top 3 prog metal band. Heavy, but good use of keyboards with one of the best singers of the genre.

This may be their best release to date. Heavy, melodic, progressive. While I love the new Flying Colors, Pineapple Thief, Enchant releases (September was a good month for new releases!), I find myself spinning Hymns more than any of them.

I usually get Evergrey mixed up with Fates Warning due to the "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" album. That song is alright. I might like it better w/o the video.

I've always liked what I have heard from this band. Out of the 3 that I own I listen to Recreation Day the most. The ltd with "Trilogy of the Damned" is fantastic

The new song sounds really good - thanks for posting it!

I love the earlier stuff, but they fell out of favor with me around Monday Morning Apocalypse and Torn. I'll give the new one a listen, especially if it is a return to form like I've been hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I love the earlier stuff, but they fell out of favor with me around Monday Morning Apocalypse and Torn. I'll give the new one a listen, especially if it is a return to form like I've been hearing.
    Same for me. After the wonderful Recreation Day, they sort of fizzled out for me.

Yes, one of the very best prog metal bands for sure. All their albums are great (and I include 'Torn', which I think is one of their very best, and 'Monday Morning Apocalypse'). My only disappointment is 'Glorious Collision' which wasn't that great but I'll even take that album over the many cliched Dream Theater-type bands. I had already seen the video on Facebook and I've been to every conceivable brick and mortar store here in Central Florida to see if they carry the new album, but none of them do (I always check b&m stores first as I'm trying to avoid ordering online as much as I can). I guess I'll have to order it online. The new album is getting a lot of good press and reviews so I can't wait to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Similar for me as well, with Recreation Day my favorite followed closely by The Inner Circle. I do like MMA and Torn, as well as Glorious Collision, but have not heard the new one.

IMHO Evergrey are one of the most underrated Prog Metal bands around.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I think that part of the problem is that just when they started to get some kind of momentum in the prog world, they suddenly decided that they wanted to be popular and simplified their music considerably. I remember watching the interview with Tom on their A Night to Remember DVD and, when he was asked if he was satisfied with the band's success, he replied with something along the lines of "No, I'm not satisfied. I want to be bigger." I'm not one of these guys who thinks that more complex music is necessarily better than simple music, but in Evergrey's case, the frilly stuff really took their music to the next level. Plus, there was an energy on those early records that they lost. Everything started to sound too calculated.

Now, I feel like I'm not in a musical place to appreciate their new stuff fully. I'm not into that kind of music as much as I was ten years ago. I think, for me, Evergrey's ship has sailed.

For the record, my favorites are probably Recreation Day and Solitude Dominance Tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    IMHO Evergrey are one of the most underrated Prog Metal bands around.
    I agree and I've always thought they had the potential to become big. I can't understand for the life of me why it hasn't happened for them already. I recall they played here at the House of Blues in Orlando, FL like ten years ago or so in a package with 4 or 5 other metal bands. I can't recall if they were promoting the 'Recreation Day' album or 'The Inner Circle' at the time, but I recall their videos being played in Headbangers Ball on MTV ("Blinded" and "I'm Sorry" videos off 'Recreation Day' were played and "A Touch of Blessing" off 'The Inner Circle' was played too) and Tom Englund being a guest in that show with then host Jamey Jasta a couple of times. So they had the exposure here in the U.S. both in tv and touring-wise but couldn't carry that momentum for something bigger. Imo, they have what it takes to be a bigger act.

Btw, my favorites are 'Recreation Day', 'The Inner Circle' and 'Torn'.

The following was posted on Evergrey's FB page an hour ago or so:

"So the first week US charts are in, making Hymns for the broken Evergrey´s best first week ever!
    #21 on the New Artist Chart!
    #53 on the Hard Music Chart!
    #70 on the Independent Chart!

We also made the German charts first time ever at 63!
    In total our first week sales are 50% better than the last album!"

Is this from the Billboard charts? Interesting that they charted on the "New Artist" chart as they've been around for quite a while now. I guess no one has ever heard of them and they are considered new? What's the criteria for "New Artist"? That being said, I'm happy for whatever success/exposure they get. They deserve it.

I only have one of their albums, but have always liked it and wanted to pursue more. I will have to check this one out.

Definitely their best album since The Inner Circle. Monday Morning Apocalypse, Torn and Glorious Collision were OK but this one, Hymns for the Broken, returns them to greatness. I look forward to their inevitable return to ProgPower. Right after I hassle Glenn enough.

Hearing that album at the listening party was a great kick-off to the festival last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    I agree and I've always thought they had the potential to become big. I can't understand for the life of me why it hasn't happened for them already.
    They were shedding band members left and right for awhile. That might have something to do with it.

Metal bands just don't become "big" anymore, really.

Quote Originally Posted by thx5150 View Post
    Definitely their best album since The Inner Circle. Monday Morning Apocalypse, Torn and Glorious Collision were OK but this one, Hymns for the Broken, returns them to greatness. I look forward to their inevitable return to ProgPower. Right after I hassle Glenn enough.

Hearing that album at the listening party was a great kick-off to the festival last month.
    Yeah, was hoping they would be back for 2015 Progpower. Though, Anathema will be there! Now, if i can just afford to buy a ticket before it sells out.

Love Hymns and Torn. Glorious has it's moments. Never heard MMA (not even on iTunes), but i just remember being a little burned out on them and the reviews were not overly kind, so never picked up. Inner Circle has some really good moments (ex. Ambassador) but the concept gets in the way for me at times.

Trying to not overplay Hymns, but really liking this release.

Just saw that Evergrey US tour is going on now:

ECrS6_5XYAAbct_.jpg large.jpg

Anyone seen or going to these shows? I haven't heard anything since Torn and it seems like the setlists focus on the last 3-4 albums. But what I suppose is the classic lineup is mostly back together now with Henrick and Jonas back for a few years now. Are these latest albums (The Atlantic and The Storm Within) as good as Recreation Day?

This is a band I really want to like but in the past their music just hasn't made a connection with me, but I'll give their latest a listen. I like the cover.

I love modern day Dream Theater, Threshold, Enchant & Nightwish - should I like Evergrey?

Jon Neudorf
    Yep. They are an excellent band.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I love modern day Dream Theater, Threshold, Enchant & Nightwish - should I like Evergrey?
    Try their album "Recreation Day," which I think is their best.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

In Search of Truth has always been my go-to.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    That was my introduction to the band and agree it's a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    My second favorite
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I think they compare closer to Opeth than those bands, but I am a fan of all of them and like Evergrey a lot.

I miss their old style and sound. The first 3 records are by far my favorites

Brand new from Evergrey, from their upcoming 12th album, Escape Of The Phoenix, due out late February: