Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solaris : Martian Chronicles 2

Solaris : Martian Chronicles 2

The first official video clips with extracts from this forthcoming release are beginning to appear. Looking forward to when this is released at the end of the month

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to this one as well.

hard to believe a band from Hungary have kept it going for 30 years
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

That's some tasty shit. LUUKn 4WD 2it.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Nice. Very nice.

I have martian chronicles part 1 still on vinyl somewhere. Been ages since I've last heared this but I used to like it.
    Did part 1 ever had a cd release?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    hard to believe a band from Hungary have kept it going for 30 years
    Omega have kept it going for 48 years this Christmas. How 'bout that? And I believe Bergendy still exists in some form, 45 years on.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Omega have kept it going for 48 years this Christmas. How 'bout that? And I believe Bergendy still exists in some form, 45 years on.
    cool... I need an Omega album. What's their best?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Omega III or Időrablo are decent. But don't expect anything very groundbreaking here. The band veers infamously between glammy hard rock and "symphonic" pop of sorts.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Omega III or Időrablo are decent. But don't expect anything very groundbreaking here. The band veers infamously between glammy hard rock and "symphonic" pop of sorts.
    200 Years After the Last War(1974)&The Hall of Floaters in the Sky(1975) -inspired by Eloy
    . . .

Good stuff. Are they consistently as good s this sample?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I have martian chronicles part 1 still on vinyl somewhere. Been ages since I've last heared this but I used to like it.
    Did part 1 ever had a cd release?
    Yes. I have a 1995 release on Hungaroton-Gong with two bonus tracks.

I have the King records Japanese release... from 1989 I think

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Good stuff. Are they consistently as good s this sample?
    I can't answer for the new album (which is exciting news for certain), but I can say that "Marsbeli Kronikak" (that would be Part 1) and "1990" are absolutely brilliant. Less so on "Nostradamus", but still a very good release. Also, well worth looking into flute player Attila Kollar's "Musical Witchcraft" project albums, which are similar.

I my buy this one two, as I love Vol 1...

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I can't answer for the new album (which is exciting news for certain), but I can say that "Marsbeli Kronikak" (that would be Part 1) and "1990" are absolutely brilliant. Less so on "Nostradamus", but still a very good release. Also, well worth looking into flute player Attila Kollar's "Musical Witchcraft" project albums, which are similar.
    then there's NOAB as well

then there's NOAB as well
    True - it's archival, but well worth hearing. As is Back to the Roots.

Good stuff! This is an auto-buy for me. I haven't heard anything about Solaris in ages. They were one of my favorite discoveries in the early '90s. I've seen them 3 times live, and they always put on a great show.

One of my favorite albums, i think the flute was a good bonus in their space music..
    Thanks for sharing!
    Quality karaoke tools from Powerkaraoke.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Good stuff! This is an auto-buy for me. I haven't heard anything about Solaris in ages. They were one of my favorite discoveries in the early '90s. I've seen them 3 times live, and they always put on a great show.
    they have a great live video that's on Dimeadozen... Live at ArtRock festival 1996

200 Years After the Last War
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    200 Years After the Last War
    I would agree that this is their most consistent LP, and luckily also their most obtainable, even on vinyl (as it was released on Bellaphon). Hall of Floaters, Omega 5, Időrablo, Gammapolis etc. - the main problem was always the uneven standards of the songwriting and stylistic mishmash. Rather than "Eloy-influenced", I gather Omega shared their sources; Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Queen, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Slade and even early Bowie.

Interestingly, most of the Eastern bloc countries seemed to have at least one "Omega-type" of band; Yugoslavia had the colossaly popular (yet musically quite mediocre) Bijelo Dugme, Poland had Budka Suflera (who were great on their first two but then descended), the GDR had the ubiquitous Puhdys and so on.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 10-21-2014 at 04:15 AM.

Another excellent extract has been posted..

Interesting that it's not exactly the same lineup as Nostradamus. Attila Seres was their original bassist from the pre Martian Chronicle days.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Interesting that it's not exactly the same lineup as Nostradamus. Attila Seres was their original bassist from the pre Martian Chronicle days.
    Didn't one of the members pass away? Kollar Attila also has made at least one solo album. I gave it. Not sure if he's done more though.