Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw Al Stewart Saturday Night.....

I read a story about the recording of Russians and Americans where the label demanded Al to record a cover tune to be released as a single. Al didn't like recording cover tunes and was given a list of 5 songs to pick from. He picked the old song 1, 2, 3, but unknowingly the label executives didn't realize that he had changed the lyrics to imply how they manipulate, intimidate and coerce artists into things that they don't want to do. He wanted to see if they were even paying attention and apparently they weren't because he was never told to change it back to the original lyrics and the label released it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Speaking of Al's later output I think "Down In the Cellar" is one of his better ones since the classic years. "Beach Full of Shells" isn't bad either. The full version of "Class of '58" is 13 minutes long and was edited down to only 4 minutes. The full version was released on an ep which I found in a used shop several years ago.
    At one of his shows at the old Freight and Salvage before they moved to their new venue, it was the end or near the end of the tour. They didn't want to cart around the merchandise, so various things were given away to the audience in the lobby including the Class of 58 EP. There was an early song of Al's that an audience member asked him to sing. I can't recall the song. Al said he didn't know the words anymore. The person who requested he sing it had all the words printed out on a long sheet of paper. Al took it and proceeded to sing the song, mostly without the written lyrics. Al is a regular guy who happens to be a genius. His stories are priceless. If anyone has seen Leo Kottke, he could easily be a stand up comic. He's as funny as he is musically talented.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The vinyl probably includes the original “side 4” which was about 5 new (at the time) studio tracks. When the album was released on CD those were cut out and only the live tracks included.
    I found a nice vinyl copy in a charity shop today, and it was mine for £5! Very happy with my purchase, it sounds beautiful, thank you for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I found a nice vinyl copy in a charity shop today, and it was mine for £5! Very happy with my purchase, it sounds beautiful, thank you for the recommendation.
    Cool, yes it was recorded very well at the time and still holds up quite well I think.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Saw Al Stewart at the Keswick! I liked his set, although the only song I was familiar with was "Year of the Cat".
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Saw Al Stewart at the Keswick! I liked his set, although the only song I was familiar with was "Year of the Cat".
    Not surprising as he tends to favor album cuts over hits in his shows.

He also played Nostradamus at Keswick, which was a nice treat.

what was the date?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not surprising as he tends to favor album cuts over hits in his shows.
    I don't mind that! In fact, I don't think he played all of his planned set as someone called out "Nostradamus" and he played that instead. I like when bands play songs other than the hits.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

You may have seen me Jen, I was the one changing the batteries on the cameras while Annie vamped! OH, and Al Stewart was a lot of fun too.