Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 years in- PE v2.0 VS v3.0?? Thoughts?

2 years in- PE v2.0 VS v3.0?? Thoughts?

Just curious how you all have settled in and what you may miss about the old place and what you prefer about the "new" version?

Any suggestions for 2015?

We turn 15 this month... Amazing when you think about it. Thank you all for being part of things for so long! The music keeps coming, don't it?

All the best and thanks for your continued interest!

-S

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm just afraid that PE 3.1 and PE for Workgroups are going to suck big time.

Seriously, though: I think it's great and will probably hate it the next time it changes -- for a while.

I miss the simplicity of PE2, especially the easy book-marking function and that you could find everything without moving between different pages.

The only advantage I've found in PE3 is the "view first unread post"-function, which is great.

So, I still miss PE2.

Also, for some strange reason, it's like the number of interesting threads decreased rapidly with the move to PE3. Or maybe that's just me imagining things?

Although I still miss some minor differences from the 2.0 software (highlighting quote feature is still the biggest loss for me), 3.0 is a far better system and I think everything works great! All I need to do is click 'New Posts', and I quickly scan the threads I've posted in. Then I hit 'New Posts' again and casually read the rest of the thread titles. Easy as pie.

I'd still like to see a proper app (for Android phones at least!) as it's very difficult to view in a browser while I'm supposed to be working.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

So far so good... I don't really remember much about the old system anyway at this point. A Droid app would be pretty cool. REALLY do miss the highlight text reply function, but that's it. Love the New Posts feature.

I think the functionality is better but I do personally miss the weird mix of posts without going between multiple pages.

How do you think the overall tone is now VS the last days of 2.0?

I think it's improved. There are still some threads that make me roll my eyes, and a few people who could be a bit more elegant in how they express their opinions, but overall I enjoy almost everyone's contributions here, and it's very easy to find topics I enjoy reading about and/or posting in.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That is my hope, that the overall tone has improved. I feel it has as well.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I use the mobile version almost exclusively so I may not have much useful to add. I like not having a limit on posts .

I wish people could add more info to their profiles and that you could view peoples' avatars in a larger format. Overall it's more stable which is great, but I can't say I really notice that many differences. Which is fine - it's the same great place!

This version has a few more bells and whistles than I personally feel like I need, and a lot of functions that I don't use, but I can say that about any number of websites/apps/systems/etc. And there are a LOT of people, friends, that don't post here anymore, and that I miss, who seemed to retreat to Facebook or whatever after PE went V3. And it would be nice to have the reviews section back.

So I've adapted to this one but I did like V2 better. Again, I can say something similar about MANY computer/Internet/technology related things. Change has to happen though . . . . . . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've hardly looked into any of the features beyond what PE 2.0 did. I pretty much use it the same way.

I don't really miss the old site but it did seem to have some advantages such as the top prog album lists and the chat room. This one feels like home now though and the other one was just a sinking ship that had to be abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Just curious how you all have settled in and what you may miss about the old place and what you prefer about the "new" version?
    Love v3.0, and don't really miss anything about 2.0. This site definitely seems more stable and much easier to navigate. The "new posts" function is really all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    How do you think the overall tone is now VS the last days of 2.0?
    The tone definitely seems more....even. Consistent. Much less trolling, and there seem to be fewer negative threads, though they still pop up. We still get the silly threads, and the "beating a dead horse" threads, but I still learn new stuff all the time and this is still the best place to go to get news about prog.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Much less trolling
    Sorry, I'll get right on that
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like 3.0 a lot, I miss Lino & some of the other regulars, functionality is great, I like having all the threads I've posted too appearing under settings, I then go to new posts, no need to go to any forums. Maybe we could get polls back, I always liked those, and I miss reviews. There's less trolling and some of the previous trolls seem a bit better behaved. Quality of threads has improved though PeterG & Rufus still start more nonsense than strictly necessary. I quite enjoy them on the whole.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Generally I like it better. The only negatives for me;

As others have mentioned the quote highlight feature was nice on the old version.

I never participate in private groups anymore, when I used to be in quite a few of them. This version seems a little more difficult to get in or keep up with them, but maybe that is just me.

Just a personal pet peeve, but I wish more people used their real names (or at least had information in their personal information page). I know there are a lot of people here who I see in person at prog festivals and events, but I have no clue who they are here.

Bottom line, this is still the best music forum site on the web in my opinion. I love the fact that we can discuss all kinds of music and some of the offbeat off topic stuff as well. Keep up the good work!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It's hard for me to draw many firm conclusions. The mods are doing a great job at keeping the trolls at bay, and are even cleaning up the most inane threads. All those are unqualified pluses. However, I feel as though the conversations lack some of the depth from back in the day. Still, I guess I've scaled back my participation somewhat, so my view is far from a comprehensive overview.

This community is still going strong and getting the word out: Setna, Wolf People, Gösta Berlings Saga, Causa Sui, and most recently Monomyth, are all great bands that you all brought to my attention via PE 3.0. I'm grateful this place is still going.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I miss the spinning globe. Otherwise, no complaints. "New Posts" gets it all done for me.

I barely remember the old site to tell you the truth. The old PMs were fun but really were a bit exclusionary.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I like that the NFL thread is always there. I'm glad it's not a private thread anymore. I don't have to worry about "dropping out" anymore.......

The only thing I miss about theold site is the quote function. Otherwise it's the same vibe as always. People generally seem nicer now. Before there were a lot of snobs. Not so much anymore.

3.0 def better. Sorry to see Groups not take off, but there was way too much private threading on 2.0 . Cliques all in the open now ?

Tone has improved 1000% BIG improvement at the 2 - 3 break. .....But...I kinda miss the grammar nazis, LOL !

And it functions great with Windows 8.1 ! I was having trouble w/ the small targets for navigating, but a tap of the finger blows it right up and makes it no problem at all.

Thread closing has caught my attention lately. I understand that some whack-a-mole action is needed to keep things from getting out of control. Monitoring is a job from HEyouknowwhere. But I plead leniency for some thread-jackers. Sometimes the tangents are absolutely amazing !!

Is it just me, or does it seem there's more international activity on 3.0 ??

All in all --- Sean, you're doing great !!

Thanks. I give the Lion's share of the credit to Cozy and Duncan. Couldn't have done it without them. At all....
    Last edited by Sean; 10-06-2014 at 11:45 PM.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Overall....love it! I'm with others about the "New Posts" feature - excellent tool. I don't really miss anything from the old digs. I'm fine with the quote feature in 3.0. Doesn't take much time to trim the quote once you've begun writing your post. I'll copy/paste below two points I made in a similar thread begun in August, 2013.

Subscriptions: Great tool and good there are no limits (at least I haven't hit a limit so far). I'd say though it would be even greater if there was quick-subscribe button with thread details that one can simply click on to save rather than the somewhat cumbersome current process of having to be in the thread, hitting "thread tools", then "subscribe...", then "add...". Really, a minor quibble and I suspect something that comes with the territory of the forum version.

As for a suggestion (possibly to the forum providers if there's no easy modification for forum admin's to do this) I'd love to be able to "hide" threads that I'm not interested in. Yes, I know I can just ignore them when perusing the thread titles in the various forums or in "new posts", but there are so many threads that I've either looked in once and decided it was not a thread I'd be interested in following, or simply decided based on the thread title that I'd have no interest in viewing. Many of these threads keep reappearing when perusing PE, that for me, it would be very helpful to hide them at a click of a button, so when viewing threads in "new posts" for example, I'd only see actual new thread titles that I haven't previously seen or those existing threads I have an interest in and have new posts.

I have noticed more maturity(for the most part)among the posters on here. Goofing around and good natured ribbing are still to be occasionally expected but much of the mean spiritedness and unnecessary personal attacks seem to be gone(again for the most part). Then again I do have a few people on ignore but still.