Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD - Ange : Au-Dela Du Delire

This is honestly the only Ange album I like from start to finish. Solid record.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    Definitely a unique band, and not for everyone. I find it interesting how they often get chastised as the "French Genesis" because of their theatricality (if that is a word?) Yet they sound almost nothing at all like Genesis... but stylistically they are very similar. It's all so confusing. It's almost like they evolved at the same time, in a different universe. Even when you look at their musicians: over the top vocalist, dominant keyboardist who "gets it" (doesn't overplay, great composer, excellent chops), rock solid rhythm section and even a guitarist that sorta sits in the background and doesn't get as much attention as he might deserve.

Speaking of which, how about the guitar solo at the end of "Exode?" A personal favorite of mine

~Jeff
    Like you wrote, it's like they evolved at the same time in parallel universes. I discovered Genesis after Ange and thought exactly that. Although the electric guitar is often more present in Ange's sound than in Genesis', Jean-Michel Brézovar was not a leading force in the band. And yes, the end of "Exode" is great - the combination of the rythm section, the cosmic organ/mellotron sound and the guitar is gorgeous.

Think I'll play Au-Delà Du Délire later tonight. Loudly.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

imho their BEST !
    The script ( in french ) of the original story .. ( yes it's a concept album ..)

"En 1358, Godevin des Alouettes, avec sa femme Céline et leurs deux enfants, Petit Pierre et Églantine. Godevin était vilain de son état et travaillait pour le compte du baron Henri de Valeran. Un jour, Godevin rencontre Isaac, un vieil alchimiste vivant dans la forêt. Godevin lui fit part de sa condition. Isaac lui enseigna une partie de sa connaissance. Lorsque Godevin revint au hameau, il était décidé a devenir un homme libre. Il parla à ses compagnons et décida de fomenter une révolte. Celle-ci fut très vite réprimée par la noblesse. Le baron, intrigué par le nouveau comportement de Godevin, l'invita au château afin de le soudoyer. Refusant de livrer son secret, Godevin sera condamné a être brûlé en tant qu'hérétique. Son corps est détruit par les flammes, mais son 'moi' spirituel rejoint le cosmos. Il y parfait sa connaissance en observant la désintégration complète de la race humaine et de ce qu'elle a construit; désintégration consécutive à la bêtise qui n'a cessé de grandir au cours des siècles. Godevin, durant toute cette période spirituelle a compris l'ensemble des choses et au 25ème siècle, il se réintègre sous sa forme humaine, sur une terre revenue a son origine. La végétation et les animaux sont là, comme au commencement des temps, mais il n'y a plus d'humains ... Godevin rencontrera une biche, qui peu a peu se transformera en femme, ayant les traits de Céline. "

Just played the other day, great album, love the thoughts that went into the mixing
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Gorillclub View Post
    imho their BEST !
    The script ( in french ) of the original story .. ( yes it's a concept album ..)
    It is as crazy as any album/song concept that comes from Christian's mind... and it works, in its own way. The narrative aspect doesn't get in the way of the musical aspect. The songs have their own lives, one can enjoy them without thinking of the story. The balance of music and words is really fine on this album.

Interesting. I ran it through Google Translate, which gave me a clumsy but understandable translation. I heard somewhere that Ange was big on basing their music on French folklore, and this story certainly qualifies. Actually, this story does seem reminiscent of some of Gabriel's wacky stuff, thus lending more credence to the "parallel universe version of Genesis" (and, I repeat, by no means a clone, or even derivative of their sound)

Both Au-delà du Délire and Emile Jacotey were based on references to medieval folklore, Au-Delà... being the most obvious. The whole universe of Ange lyrics features fictional figures based on different areas of folklore and mythology (storytellers, peasants, sorcerers, clowns, poets, gypsies, magicians, alcoholic acrobats and captains, narcissistic kings, sheperds, jesters, harlequins, lonely people, cosmic travellers, people on the edge of madness, etc.).
    This kind of folklore is not unknown to classic prog lovers (and to prog bashers of course). In the case of Christian's lyrics these themes are woven into a special kind of surrealistic poetry and weird sense of humour. The stories often feature characters who are faced with some kind of darkness and transcend it in some way (often in a weird way !).
    There is often a grounded, realistic aspect that counterbalances the magical / fairytale aspects. Recent Ange lyrics feature more explicit references to (and criticism of) the current state of society, all being still delivered through a poetic and surrealistic filter.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 10-08-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    Definitely a unique band, and not for everyone. I find it interesting how they often get chastised as the "French Genesis" because of their theatricality (if that is a word?) Yet they sound almost nothing at all like Genesis
    It really does them a disservice, maybe in my case I was expecting something different

Much harder, far less pastoral

For me, they are one those bands I "should" like but it jut doesn't have it for me

I've collected their "best" and every so often I'll try again, the thread got me to revisit this one last night

Seems it's the vocals that for whatever reason I can't seem to get past

Others I respect think it's classic so I'm sure it's me

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So great to see that music from another time and place unfold before your eyes, disgusting saliva strands and all!
    Progs answer to Dan Quayle

Disgusting is fair!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    It really does them a disservice, maybe in my case I was expecting something different

Much harder, far less pastoral
    Genesis are indeed much softer. Ange flirt with hard rock and their lyrics go to darker places.
    Regarding the vocals, I think Christian Décamps has really aged well as a singer. When I listen to the old records, I still love his vocals but he has a more nuanced, mature way of singing now. The vocals on the 70s records sound a bit forced in comparison.

Quintessential French symph. I think I have all of their '70s albums, and this is probably the one I enjoy the most. I also really like the two previous albums, which are more psych-sounding. Love Ange's string synth sound. I haven't listened to this band in a long while, I think it's probably time to break them out again.

If this band, this brilliant record, can't get more than 10 people on this place discussing about it, there's no hope. Now really, is there something deterring people from appreciating French prog? This - and Cimetiere - is an outstanding masterpiece of our music. What's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    If this band, this brilliant record, can't get more than 10 people on this place discussing about it, there's no hope. Now really, is there something deterring people from appreciating French prog? This - and Cimetiere - is an outstanding masterpiece of our music. What's wrong?
    No problems with Ange, though I don't understand their lyrics, which are supposed to be essential for hem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    No problems with Ange, though I don't understand their lyrics, which are supposed to be essential for hem.
    My comprehension of French is pretty sketchy, but I've spent a lot of time puzzling out Ange's lyrics as best I can, because they really are great.

Love this album, it's probably my favorite of theirs, although it's a tight race with Emile Jacotey.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm a fan. I think certain songs and sections of songs on this album and Cimetiere hold the seeds for where Van der Graaf went with Godbluff and Still Life. The raw, stripped down style with repetitions and build-ups.

And before the Prawg Police come after me, no, I am not suggesting Hammill ripped them off. I just clearly hear similarities in some of the work on these Ange albums and what was to come stylistically for Van der Graaf a couple years later.

Ange is the best French prog band ever !

(And now for a little lesson of the French language, regarding the album’s title and this thread title: We Do Not Capitalize Words In Titles ! Believe me, it looks ugly to a French reader. Also, accents are essential. So the correct title is: Au-delà du délire. Thank you)

Wonderful record from an excellent band! Their latest release "Happy" is also solid and excellent. Lot of great things in their catalogue if you ignore 1982-1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I'm a fan. I think certain songs and sections of songs on this album and Cimetiere hold the seeds for where Van der Graaf went with Godbluff and Still Life. The raw, stripped down style with repetitions and build-ups.

And before the Prawg Police come after me, no, I am not suggesting Hammill ripped them off. I just clearly hear similarities in some of the work on these Ange albums and what was to come stylistically for Van der Graaf a couple years later.
    That's a very deep remark, that - telepathy maybe? - I just did for the first time on listening this moments ago (but without reading your comment).

You know what? I've never listened to anything by Ange.

I need to correct that, starting today.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Both their previous albums were great, but it all sort of came together on this one; the ultimate merger of their theatrical flair, quirky yet stupendous melodies with lyrics bridging the cryptical and sheer satire, fine albeit very basic arrangements and performance sporting an intensely layered sense of charge, and those atmospheres of theirs, be they sober yet sombre, dark though still immaculately romantic.

An essential European 70s "symphonic" rock album.
    What he said except I say it in an ancient dialect of fake Norwegian.

My favourite Ange album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What he said except I say it in an ancient dialect of fake Norwegian.
    Uff da.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Busted this out. I like it.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

solid record from a band with many solid records.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Love this one but still prefer the '95 live Version of the whole album (played by the classic Lineup)