Thread: Anyone here do their own internet radio show?

Anyone here do their own internet radio show?

I'd really like do to one myself, but am thoroughly confused by how to go about it.
    In terms of gear, I pretty much have what I need. (computer, condenser mic, mixer)

But what about Icecast, Shoutcast, royalties, etc?

I'm building a playlist to start a station (@ Live365). I'm in the B's and have a ton of artists/music, including a lot of stuff in the Various Artists folder, so I have a long way to go. it won't be a "show" though; it'll be music 24/7.

I do my show on Spreaker.com. Basically you have to load the music you want to play into their server, then put together a playlist of what you want to do for each show. What I've been doing lately, since I've been back to work is I pay 20 bucks a month, for I think it's something like 500 hours of storage space, which can be used both for the music you're going to play on the show, plus storage of the shows you've already produced (so anyone can listen to a show at any time, 24/7/52).

I don't use Shoutcast or any of that kind of stuff, though I may try going that route in the near future.

I wouldn't have enough to say to talk between songs, and wouldn't want to anyway, but how do you create a podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I do my show on Spreaker.com. Basically you have to load the music you want to play into their server, then put together a playlist of what you want to do for each show. What I've been doing lately, since I've been back to work is I pay 20 bucks a month, for I think it's something like 500 hours of storage space, which can be used both for the music you're going to play on the show, plus storage of the shows you've already produced (so anyone can listen to a show at any time, 24/7/52).

I don't use Shoutcast or any of that kind of stuff, though I may try going that route in the near future.
    So Chris- that all it takes with Spreaker? No issues with copyrighted material?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    So Chris- that all it takes with Spreaker? No issues with copyrighted material?
    I've been doing my show for more than 3 years now, and I've never had an issue with copyrighted material. In theory, you're only supposed to play music you're authorized to play, whatever that entails. But I spent a chunk of my youth listening to college radio, and I don't reckon any of the programmers on the college stations worried about "authorization". I mean, how would you go about getting authorization, if say you brought in a record or CD from home and played it? And is any given radio station authorized to play all the music they have in their libraries (and trust me, some of the college stations have very extensive album libraries)?

I think most of the artists are probably thankful to be getting any kind of airplay. And I think I operate so far below the radar, it doesn't even register with anyone who would care (say Lars Ulrich, for instance), that he's not getting his ten cents worth or whatever it is from any given track I might play.

But yes, I essentially do everything through the Spreaker site. You load your audio files onto their server, and I use their DJ console. I have a cheap mic I use to make announcements between songs. For awhile, I was comping sets together beforehand in Audacity, which allowed to do some actual "production" on my announcements. I'd transpose my voice down a minor third, run it through a low pass filter, then I'd add backwards reverb. Sometimes, I'd add too much backwards reverb, thus obscuring some of what I was saying. Eventually, I got used to doing announcements live (which was a lot harder to do than it sounds, it's a bit like giving a speech) and started having more fun doing segues live on the air (except, of course, when the segue doesn't work, then I get upset). And recently, I've done a few shows where I more or less improvised the setlist on the fly, which was kind of exciting, though I'm not sure I'd want to do that every week.

Ok. & do you use any kind of compression?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Ok. & do you use any kind of compression?
    Unless Spreaker is adding it automatically, no. Judging from when I've listened to some of the playbacks (where my voice sometimes is at a much lower volume level than the music), I'm guessing they're not. The only effects I've used was the backwards reverb, low pass filter and pitch transposer I used to use on my voice, which I don't do anymore really. Spreaker does have an echo button on the DJ console that you can activate for the mic channel, but I had trouble figuring out how to make it work right, so I've never really used it.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'm building a playlist to start a station (@ Live365). I'm in the B's and have a ton of artists/music, including a lot of stuff in the Various Artists folder, so I have a long way to go. it won't be a "show" though; it'll be music 24/7.
    I've been a VIP member for years on Live365. Let us know when you get it going. Thanks.