Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any prog Halloween songs?

Or Lucifer's Friend lucifer.jpg
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

How about Edgar Winter Group's "Frankenstein"?!

White Noise: Black Mass
    FZ: Zomby Woof
    ELO: In the Hall of the Mountain King
    Kate Bush: Get out of My House
    Genesis: Dance on a Volcano
    Strawbs: Ghosts
    Last edited by Jon; 10-08-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Alucard - Edge of Twilight- The moon is down-Spooky Boogie?- GGiant

The Waiting Room ... It's pretty creepy

Agents of Mercy--"The Black Forest"

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but Genesis' "the Knife" is imo the perfect Halloween prog song.

I have to vote for Halloween's "Laz" as well.

Since it's based on H.P. Lovecraft stories and because they really did make it scary. Some people are put off by their vocals being sung in English (they are French and so sometimes goof up some of their pronunciations) but for me that actually adds to the alien, scary feel of the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I have to vote for Halloween's "Laz" as well. [...] Some people are put off by their vocals being sung in English (they are French and so sometimes goof up some of their pronunciations) but for me that actually adds to the alien, scary feel of the whole thing.
    That one song where they sing in their mother tongue on that album is actually the best and most Vincent Price'ian of the bunch, IMO - although I far prefer Merlin and especially Le Festin from these guys (and doll, eventually). The (French) lyrics of the latter aren't very "horror'ish", though; this is mostly about more peculiarly human factors such as stress, sex, money, work, art, pain, war and whatever such topics.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

"Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I have to vote for Halloween's "Laz" as well.

Since it's based on H.P. Lovecraft stories and because they really did make it scary. Some people are put off by their vocals being sung in English (they are French and so sometimes goof up some of their pronunciations) but for me that actually adds to the alien, scary feel of the whole thing.
    I can appreciate the lean towards HP Lovecraft, however my consideration was towards the compositions and arrangements themselves. There's an atmosphere of eeriness (Araignee), detachment (L'Autret), scornfulness/repulse (Le Retour du Bouffon) and the unsettling/grisly (Le Festin). There's also a wonderful dichotomy between the male/female vox. It seems to me that there's a much more mature and focused feel throughout Le Festin (don't get me wrong, I love the other two discs as wel)l that captures the feel of the Halloween season.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That one song where they sing in their mother tongue on that album is actually the best and most Vincent Price'ian of the bunch, IMO - although I far prefer Merlin and especially Le Festin from these guys (and doll, eventually). The (French) lyrics of the latter aren't very "horror'ish", though; this is mostly about more peculiarly human factors such as stress, sex, money, work, art, pain, war and whatever such topics.
    (and doll, eventually)? Is that another one in the works (or maybe something I missed)? I'd like to hear more about this as this band is one of my faves (though I know very little about them). Thanks for the input!

Payne's Grey - Kadath Decoded

Some great German prog-metal based on an HP Lovecraft (the author, not the band) story. Some pretty creepy stuff.

Almost anything by Devil Doll.

Almost anythig by Art Zoyd.

Present - Triskaidekaphobie (the fear of the number 13)
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Well, I think King Diamond's solo stuff has a lot of proggy moments in it (weird key changes, odd times, etc) but I don't think many people here would appreciate his stuff.

But if anyone is curious, all of the guy's albums are horror concept albums, so you get a horror story in each album, with themes ranging from witches, evil ghosts of dead babies, voodoo graveyards, etc. Definitely a go-to for me during this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard J T View Post
    (and doll, eventually)? Is that another one in the works (or maybe something I missed)? I'd like to hear more about this as this band
    No, they are long gone - what I meant was that the band were exclusively male until Geraldine LeCoque joined them on Merlin. I do agree that they peaked with Le Festin, but I believe they would have gone much further had they continued operations.

A band you would definitely want to check out - also dissolved now, though (since 2011) - are Nil, who released two records on French Canadian label Unicorn Digital. The second one in particular, Novo Sub Sole, picks up on several ideas and concepts somewhat related to the later day Halloween. I'm not usually very fond of modern "symphonic" progressive, but this bunch made one of the 15-20 such albums in the past 25 years, IMHO; strangely familiar music at heart, yet highly original in overall expression. They sometimes come across as a more avant-garde White Willow (the Norwegian band, if you know them), and they sported two sister units, Syrinx (instrumental avant-symph, with Qualia being a shockingly great release; they too since disbanded) and the somewhat heavier Thork.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Black Widow-Sacrifice
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    There was (is?) a band called Skeletonbreath who played at the NJ Proghouse quite a bit who described their music as "Halloween party music" or something to that effect. I think something of theirs could be a nice, spooky fit.

Has anyone mentioned Diablo Swing Orchestra?

Avant-garde prog-metal.

Almost anything on "Sing Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious" or "Pandora's Piñata".

Fun and demented stuff.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Unless I missed it (and I looked), I can't believe no one has mentioned the entire Storm Corrosion album. This one screams dreary/fall/Halloween more than Bela Lugosi's Dead ever did for me. And it's a killer album to boot!

Gentle Giant "Spooky Boogie"

Our horror tune.