Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson at AIR Studios, New Video

Steven Wilson at AIR Studios, New Video

New Stuff from SW, the intro reminds me of Rush for some reason.

Yeah, and the pop snippet sounded like a nice change of pace too. Confident this will be yet another stellar release!

Apparently there's a guest female vocalist as heard at the end of the clip. Does anyone recognize her?
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

chalkpie
    Snippet one sounded like vintage Geddy and Alex with a Cinema Show-type narrative starting to unfold, and hopefully Steve-omatic will throw us a bunch of curve balls along the way where that's going. One thing I would like to see him start to implement are impossible Zappa-type lines in unison, harmonies, etc. Use his industrial-prog-death-metal riffs and stamp them with a FZ or Keneally or Mirthkon complexity. Just thinking out loud. He has a band that could play pretty much anything thrown in front of them, and fuckin' eat it up too. This guy is an autobuy day-released for me still.

Yeah the first snippet definitely sounded like a nod to rush, far more so than time flies/Pink Floyd. And I though it might be a female vocalist as well, but recall that Beggs has a pretty high voice, and Wilson made no mention of another player in the short but sweet interview.
    I can't wait for this release, so excited!!!

Feel like that's definitely a woman though...looking forward to this.

Haven't been disappointed with a SW release yet. Liking what I hear and agree that first bit has a Rush vibe. Where's that pre-order?

Not exactly bowled over by the snippets, but still an autobuy. A bit apprehensive about the lack of jazz influence and the lack of Theo ...

I didn't know Guthrie Govan was involved with SW. Very cool. I need to listen to "The Raven" again.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Old man of prog
    I hate to contribute to his already large ego but the snippets sound fantastic!

Damn he's good.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I would not have expected anything less of course. Auto-buy.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Hmmm, Anil Prasad. I saw him Friday at the SF King Crimson show. The guy gets around.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Not exactly bowled over by the snippets, but still an autobuy. A bit apprehensive about the lack of jazz influence and the lack of Theo ...
    I get were you're coming from, but for me the great thing about SW is that he's never content with standing still, or resting on a successful formula. If that means he goes back to embracing a more pop-ish slant on some of the new music I'm fine with it. He's proven some pretty serious chops in that regard. As long as it's balanced with some more complex goodies -- which seems to be the case here -- then I'll be a happy camper.

Feb 2015 is going go be a long way away, but hopefully we'll get to look forward to some spring touring.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This stuff really sounds good. And what a band.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Yeah the first snippet definitely sounded like a nod to rush, far more so than time flies/Pink Floyd. And I though it might be a female vocalist as well, but recall that Beggs has a pretty high voice, and Wilson made no mention of another player in the short but sweet interview.
    I can't wait for this release, so excited!!!
    Yeah, definitely a woman singing on that last track.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I hate to contribute to his already large ego but the snippets sound fantastic!

Damn he's good.
    Never met the guy, but not sure where this ego thing is coming from? Seems like a super cool dude in all of the interviews I've ever seen with him, and pretty bright and informed musically.

Super excited! Auto buy. I am also weary of the less jazz-influence but still this band is amazing and I do love SW's forays into songy type things
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

i will definitely buy it!!.....the less of a jazz influence is fine for me.I'm more a fan of SW's pop,rock,psychedelic influences anyway!!

damn, looks like i need to pick up that Raven record that I passed on. look forward to picking this new one up, too.

Wilson has assembled a pretty good band.

chalkpie
    That studio looks amazing.

PS - I never realized that Adam Holzman played with Miles - that's pretty awesome.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    PS - I never realized that Adam Holzman played with Miles - that's pretty awesome.
    To tell you the truth, I never noticed either, even though I have some of the CDs.

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Que...=1&n1v=Holzman

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    That studio looks amazing.

His solo-albums and the CD's from The Fents are pretty awesome too!

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Apparently there's a guest female vocalist as heard at the end of the clip. Does anyone recognize her?
    The last picture on this page from Steven's site might show her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    To tell you the truth, I never noticed either, even though I have some of the CDs.

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Que...=1&n1v=Holzman
    You guys need to get with the program. Not only was Holzman a member of Miles' band in the 80s, but he was the musical director. Now, I've never been a huge fan of his, with all that synthy smooth jazz crud being shoved down our throats in the 80s and 90s, but my mind was changed about him significantly after I listened to Raven.

Just checking into the thread to confirm my auto-buy status

Glad he's dropping the jazz element on this one!