Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Genesis - Together & Apart - Review

I duno... I certainly don't begrudge their pop success, or the fact that they wanted to go in a pop direction (that sentiment was really there from the start) but it's the attitude that the three man Genesis was the only Genesis that ever mattered, plus the one other guy that went on to huge success that is annoying. I think he has blinders on about what Solsbury Hill really means as well. Yes it was a positive song in the sense that Peter felt alive and thrilled to be free of those gits. Maybe I'm just reading it the wrong way.

Is his memory really that bad? "Three or four band albums between 1985 and 1992"? Umm.....I only count 2. (TWWW Live doesn't count!)

But overall, yes, a decent interview.

Not that it bothers me, but I can't help have a bit of a chuckle that he says that on his drive up to Norwich he listened to discs 2 and 3 of the R-Kive set. Conversely, I just finished reading his autobiography (quite a good read) and there is tons of time spent on the early days, and not so much on the eighties.

And Genesis, A History was a very enjoyable watch. I like it better than Together and Apart, for the simple fact that they all seemed much more relaxed and forthright in the interviews, whereas as parts of Together and Apart seemed a bit uncomfortable and stilted. Also, the makers of it seemed more knowledgable on the band itself.

neil

Fascinating interview with Mike. Thanks!

The memory issue: several points here contradict what he said in his recent autobio...perhaps he has changed his mind. And he stresses the timeframe of Steve's "Voyage" in the book...he and Tony seem to love to point out how Steve was several days late to the "Trick" sessions because he was working on the album. But in this interview he forgot the timing? A bit odd.

And the most stunning part to me is the first point he makes about so many people not knowing Peter was in the band and all the other non-awareness on the part of the public. Well, even casual fans know all those things. He (they?) seem to have made the documentary for non-fans or the most casual of fans. I guess it makes sense financially (i.e. come out with a splashy docu and CD set that gets their names out there to recruit NEW fans and/or re-start the interests of the most part-time of fans).

Obviously, those of us that were rabid fans in the early 70's know their history and all the ins and outs.

But i give them the freedom to do whatever they want. It is their lives, their music, their agenda. I just am happy they all released the music they did over the decades.

Rock on!

Just noticed that the documentary DVD will not be released until Jan 15? Guess I'll strike that off my xmas list then

Seems like a wasted opportunity. Unless they know they will sell the same number of units regardless of the release date.

Maybe the release date coincides with the Chinese new year. That's a helluva market.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Is his memory really that bad? "Three or four band albums between 1985 and 1992"? Umm.....I only count 2. (TWWW Live doesn't count!)
    He may have accidentally thrown in Calling All Stations or was accidentally including Mike + The Mechanics albums.