Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Lost hippie idealism and prog appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    The above is a paid political announcement sponsored by the DNC and Debby Wasserman Schultz...
    No way. You couldn't pay me to be a member of that party. I'm just anti-stupid.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Good for you, and I mean that sincerely. My issue is not with you, but with people who sit at home on their arses and say "What a wanker that Bono is."
    That way madness lies. It means I can't call ELP's *shudder* In The Hot Seat *shudder* one of the worst albums ever made by a major label band because I'm only a guy who plays his guitar and bass for fun while I'm watching a baseball or hockey game, not in a band on a major label.

Bono, Geldof and the like are fair game, full stop. In Bono's case, he's so entangled with some really nasty people and corporate interests that to NOT give him a bit of a kicking would be an abdication of critical thinking. For just one example of those not on the Bono train, follow this link, the comment section is especially nice:

http://tinyurl.com/qem2lmd

He famously sucked up to the American politician Jesse Helms, an unrepentant racist and general scumbag, just so that Helms would help out the problem-ridden African debt relief project. To say that Helms didn't give a damn about people with darker skin tone than himself is a vast understatement:

http://tinyurl.com/pfmc2b3

From the link: Senator Jesse Helms is 80 years old. He walks with a four-pronged cane. A fearsomely rightwing evangelical Christian, he has repeatedly exploited racial prejudice in his election campaigns. He believes that homosexuals are "weak, morally sick wretches", and a couple of years ago, he endorsed a report entitled "There Is A Virus Loose Within Our Culture", which blamed violence in America on Satan's involvement in the music industry

*That's* the kind of people Paul Hewson kisses the asses of.

And don't get me started on Mother Teresa!
    ...or you could love

^^ Agreed. The ends don't always justify the means. Especially, if you're helping to solve one problem by helping to perpetuate another.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ...helping to solve one problem by helping to perpetuate another.
    Unfortunately, that's politics in a nutshell.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

for me personally, having lived and experienced the era of the civil rights movement and the Vietnam war, I was completely enveloped in the early Prog music era of taking Rock musical elements and combining them progressively with other styles in solidarity with all that was racial equality and anti-war. Hence, artists from Crimso (Epitaph) to Tony Williams Lifetime (English Guitarist with African American Drummer) to Mandrill (African American brothers with Latin and Jewish musicians) who pushed the boundaries of what Rock music used to be into the "enlightened"/"progressive" age were all exciting and new in 1971 and I embraced them wholeheartedly.

It is sad that our world culture seems to have regressed from that wonderful few years (1969-1972... R.I.P.)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

survival of the fittest.
    that's the way of *this* world... sadly, Darwin's theory only served to make it more glamorous and "normal"

"the fittest should kill the less fit"
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 10-16-2014 at 05:19 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    No way. You couldn't pay me to be a member of that party. I'm just anti-stupid.
    Then you'd love some of FDR's quote...

ProgressiveEars.com: providing up-to-date political commentary since 2011. Coming up next: where Andrew Bonar Law went wrong with tariff reform.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

... you'd love some of FDR's quote[s]...
    "I welcome their hatred." Indeed.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I do.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were Joe Bussard.

http://www.dustandgrooves.com/joe-bussard-frederick-ma/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart