Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ROSfest 2015 Lineup Announcements

OK my math may be wrong (but it was my best subject) but I believe Magic Pie was last at Rosfest 2010 and The Suffering Joy came out 2011. Therefore they have not played the festival in support of this recording.

I know many people would not consider them headliner status, but if Syzygy has their long awaited next recording close to being in the can, I'd take them closing out the festival. Ridiculously amazing live.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    It was a continuation to your statement of:

…and is definitely related to your response about the errors in the announcement. Go back and re-read the thread and you will see.

The quote was from the ROSfest page announcing Spock's Beard.

Even so, what I said was four days ago. The conversation quickly moved on and went in to another topic so why bring it back up again? I don't get that unless you are intentionally baiting people or something. It's like hey let's move on shall we?

My bet is either Moon Safari or Magic Pie. I wanted both for a Moon Pie Friday, but I'll take either. Although I'm not overly fond of Pie's newer frontman. His voice wears on my rather quickly.

We too almost got the "smoking charge" at the Eisenhower last year. Didn't take long to reverse that with a death stare. We also had to pony up for a weekend fridge, not included with the room.

We checked the Gettysburg Hotel in previous years and their pricing was stupid high. Never checked there again. I really hate to drive after a long night partying at the E.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Even so, what I said was four days ago.
    4 days old? That loooong ago? Woah. That's. like, soooo long ago.

So, what's the shelf life on when is the proper time to reply to a comment on a thread here?

You might be very upset to find out that some threads have been replied to months after the last comment was made. The horror.

The conversation quickly moved on and went in to another topic so why bring it back up again?
    No one is allowed to comment on something that was in the thread prior to the final post of said thread…. here is another one for you:

I don't get that unless you are intentionally baiting people or something. It's like hey let's move on shall we?
    How would anyone get "baiting" from the comment I made? That's hilarious.

"let's move on shall we?" -- No, doesn't seem like you want to now. If you wanted it to die out, then why keep replying?

Now, let's see if you "let it go". Somehow, I doubt you will let it go, as is evident from your responses.

This really bothers you inside, doesn't it?

[Now, let's see if you "let it go".]

Well, you obviously couldn't so why don't you just speak for yourself?

Magic Pie does have their 4th album done & almost mastered, so that's another reason for speculation. The one place where they are a valid headliner is at Rosfest, where they are beloved by most.

"Bwaaaah, I wanna see all my friends"
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Well, how many times have Magic Pie played there and how many times have they headlined? Not saying they couldn't be brought in as a last minute back up but I would rather see a band there who hasn't played so many times. I think Karmakanic, Saga, It Bites, The Tangent, Big Big Train and Astra to name a few would be good candidates that is if it is important to have "newer"(as in post seventies)bands as headliners(with the exception of Saga). Transatlantic on the other hand would probably be a better Friday night headliner if that were to ever happen. All imo of course.

It's all subjective and NEVER fact, but imo Karmakanic, Saga & Astra aren't close to being a Rosfest headliner. The other 3, yeah, but the only one that would excite me (since afaik they've never played a live gig) would be Mr. Spawton's band, especially if NDV is their tour drummer for at least this gig. Imagine the Spock's Big Train possibilities .
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

[It's all subjective and NEVER fact, but imo Karmakanic, Saga & Astra aren't close to being a Rosfest headliner.]

I guess we should agree to disagree on this one. Not sure what you are basing your opinion on though. The bands I mentioned all have about as many ratings on Progarchives as Magic Pie does and are as capable of headlining as many of the previous Rosfest headliner bands. One band I forgot to mention is Anathema. They are imo also headliner worthy.

Not to dump on Magic Pie too much because I do like them but Rosfest made them the stars they are to a great degree. They didn't start out as headliners there. An organizer can take any band he wants and as long as you have a good response from the crowd you can nurture them and eventually put them as a headliner. I stand by all my suggestions. Saga even got radio play in the US and Canada which is more than I can say for most of the current prog bands so to suggest they aren't anywhere near headliner worthy is just absurd imo.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 11-03-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Saga or Big Big Train would be epic.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Echolyn
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Steven Wilson is expected to release an album early 2015. Would be a great headliner.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    It's all subjective and NEVER fact, but imo Karmakanic, Saga & Astra aren't close to being a Rosfest headliner. The other 3, yeah, but the only one that would excite me (since afaik they've never played a live gig) would be Mr. Spawton's band, especially if NDV is their tour drummer for at least this gig. Imagine the Spock's Big Train possibilities .
    Man you read my mind🃏

Banned

Reformed DFA?
    Forgas Band
    Kenso
    KBB
    Passport

One more try with Eloy?
    Flying Colors?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Reformed DFA?
    Forgas Band
    Kenso
    KBB
    Passport
    This is RoSfest we are talking about, not NEARfest. While they did have Electric Asturias a few years back, and they went over quite well, going out of their comfort zone with a headliner is not something that I see them doing. We can hope though.

Didn't Lazuli headline a few years ago? They killed an audience with a majority of people in it that had never heard (of) them.

No slam intended on any specific bands, but you'd be surprised at how many regular Rosfest attendees (and in the last few years George as well) have a "comfort zone" far outside Pendragon, Flower Kings & Transatlantic (just the 1st three I thought of, but easily interchangeable with many other bands).

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Didn't Lazuli headline a few years ago? They killed an audience with a majority of people in it that had never heard (of) them.

No slam intended on any specific bands, but you'd be surprised at how many regular Rosfest attendees (and in the last few years George as well) have a "comfort zone" far outside Pendragon, Flower Kings & Transatlantic (just the 1st three I thought of, but easily interchangeable with many other bands).
    I'm not saying that attendees of ROSfest do not listen to bands outside the festival's main focus (Neo/Symph/Prog Metal), as I certainly do (and prefer the diversity of NEARfest). I was just commenting that the posters listing of fusion bands for the Sunday Headliner is wishful thinking based on past experience: The last five years headliners have been:

2010: PENDRAGON – RENAISSANCE – MAGIC PIE
    2011: MOON SAFARI, DAEMONIA, QUIDAM
    2012: Karmakanic IQ, Agents Of Mercy
    2013: THE FLOWER KINGS, RIVERSIDE, SHADOW GALLERY
    2014: CARAVAN, BEARDFISH, COLLAGE

There is a better chance of an "outside comfort zone" band in the support slots, but they are all filled.

I hope everyone has a jolly good time, but being extremely picky about my Neo (yes I do like some like Magenta The Reasoning,Frequency Drift) and liking very little Prog-metal, I look forward to what gets announced for Terra-Incognita in Quebec and the reincarnation of Farfest and ?????

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I hope everyone has a jolly good time, but being extremely picky about my Neo (yes I do like some like Magenta The Reasoning,Frequency Drift) and liking very little Prog-metal, I look forward to what gets announced for Terra-Incognita in Quebec and the reincarnation of Farfest and ?????
    Hell I think I only have one Neo album & my Prog is probably less than 20 and Avant Instrumental leaning. But I'm going
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    While they did have Electric Asturias a few years back, and they went over quite well,...
    I'd say describing the response as "went over quite well" is a vast understatement.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Hell I think I only have one Neo album & my Prog is probably less than 20 and Avant Instrumental leaning. But I'm going
    and I wish you and all the attendees the best of times!!!!!!!!!!!! I have attended all but three including 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    I'd say describing the response as "went over quite well" is a vast understatement.
    It was an amazing set. As I was walking up the aisle after the Electric Asturias set....it seemed like half of the people in the audience were in tears. Just an amazing performance by a fantastic band!

Well, it looks like Glass Hammer is the final band for Sunday. Enchant is the closer.
    glass hammer announced as the third band on sunday enchant to headline/
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain