Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The appeal of Rick Wakeman

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    So, because you think that I'm an asshole, then Journey must have sold 14 million??
    "Think"?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    BTW, Rick does a lot of television in the UK, has done for the last 25 or so years, appearing on game shows, talk shows, etc, where he puts his talent for humor to good use. As I understand it, he's now more famous over there for doing that kind of work than he is for his music. He's literally got an entire fanbase who know him more as the funny old guy on TV, and who have little knowledge of what he was originally famous for.
    I see this said and... well, not very much. He has done some TV work, but he's a pretty minor TV 'celebrity'. "Grumpy Old Men" was popular for a while, but Wakeman was only one of many people in that and the show is no longer on.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^He was once a very regular guest on 'Countdown', I've seen him on 'Watchdog' and he made a very funny self-deprecating cameo in 'The Life Of Rock' a while back. In the 80s he had the show 'Gastank'...I've never seen it but the guests have always puzzled me! (A lot of 70s rock stars on there.)

I can well believe the sales figures of his albums, given the amount of second-hand records I've seen over the years. Seems to me he, like Sky, had a certain 'middlebrow' crossover appeal due to the overt 'classical' element that most prog generally didn't (whatever some critics claimed!).

Rick's stuff never really translated to CD that well, there's still only the old CD releases with the bare minimum of packaging, and some of the albums have only seen fairly limited release.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    I always thought Herbie was a jazz keyboardist - silly me.
    silly you if you thought he was limited to only Jazz
    He did some very progressive Rock based music as well
    but then you have the right to put musicians in whatever boxes you like as long as you don't expect everyone else to box them up the same way you do
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?