Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presto Ballet recording a new album

Presto Ballet recording a new album

A few days ago they announced on their FB page that the recording process is underway.
    Their drummer has said that the album is shaping up to be epic.
    I guess there are people here who could be interested in this.

Yeah, that would be me! Would love to see them at ROSfest.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Same here! I love their sound and can't wait to hear it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Yeah, that would be me! Would love to see them at ROSfest.
    There was an interview with Vanderhoof a few years ago where it was hinted that they could be a really good fit with Rosfest and that they could play there. I'm surprised that it hasn't happened so far. They played CTTE this year, they'll play at Progtoberfest but still no Rosfest.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Same here! I love their sound and can't wait to hear it.
    I hope that they'll be closer to the first two albums. I had mixed feeleings about the last one, can't say I've listened to it many times. It's alright but something was missing. Today I read a post from their drummer and he said that it'll be a mix of Kansas, Styx, Rush, Yes and Pink Floyd - sound wise.

Btw, there is a video on youtube of them playing "Mind Machine" live at CTTE, I think I posted it some time ago, it should still be on youtube.

One more thing that has been a pretty big change just recently is that Ronny Munroe who sang on PB's third and fourth albums, quit Metal Church and they're looking for a new singer.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    There was an interview with Vanderhoof a few years ago where it was hinted that they could be a really good fit with Rosfest and that they could play there. I'm surprised that it hasn't happened so far. They played CTTE this year, they'll play at Progtoberfest but still no Rosfest.
    Lot's of worthy bands still haven't played at Rosfest. Two that come to mind immediately are Shadow Circus and Big Big Train but I'm sure there are plenty more.

I hope that they'll be closer to the first two albums. I had mixed feeleings about the last one, can't say I've listened to it many times. It's alright but something was missing. Today I read a post from their drummer and he said that it'll be a mix of Kansas, Styx, Rush, Yes and Pink Floyd - sound wise.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Lot's of worthy bands still haven't played at Rosfest. Two that come to mind immediately are Shadow Circus and Big Big Train but I'm sure there are plenty more.
    I haven't been to Rosfest, but I'm pretty new to prog rock so...and most of the time there are other priorities. It would be great if some more new and exciting bands played there.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsnow View Post
    +1

Old man of prog
    Btw, there is a video on youtube of them playing "Mind Machine" live at CTTE, I think I posted it some time ago, it should still be on youtube.

One more thing that has been a pretty big change just recently is that Ronny Munroe who sang on PB's third and fourth albums, quit Metal Church and they're looking for a new singer.
    This is good news to me. Like the band alot and I'm not familiar with his work with Metal Church but did not like him in Presto Ballet.

I haven't been to Rosfest, but I'm pretty new to prog rock so...and most of the time there are other priorities. It would be great if some more new and exciting bands played there.
    So I guess you haven't been to Rosfest yet either then. Well actually lots of new and exciting bands play there. In fact there is a focus on newer bands as opposed to older bands. Even the headliners at Rosfest are usually post seventies bands which is more than what I can say for most prog festivals. But yeah there's so much out there that ofcourse they can't book every good new band. I just thought of another well regarded band who hasn't played there who might fit in and that would be Anathema.

I like PB's early stuff but will still give this a listen.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Ronny Munroe didn't sing on the latest album 'Relic of the Modern World', it was a guy named Chuck Campbell who was pretty solid and the album was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    This is good news to me. Like the band alot and I'm not familiar with his work with Metal Church but did not like him in Presto Ballet.
    Well, I'm not a fan of traditional metal in general. I used to listen to Judas Priest a bit but prog metal is miles more interesting than most traditional metal. I have heard some of Metal Church with Munroe, but their last album from 2013 - I couldn't even make it to the end. It left an impression as if somebody forced them to make one, felt totally uninspired. Considering that they had a hiatus and then came up with that kind of material...weird...But it seems that they have a pretty big fanbase and they seem to like almost everything that comes out.
    As for Munroe's work with PB - I think that on those albums the writing also wasn't great, not only the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    So I guess you haven't been to Rosfest yet either then. Well actually lots of new and exciting bands play there. In fact there is a focus on newer bands as opposed to older bands. Even the headliners at Rosfest are usually post seventies bands which is more than what I can say for most prog festivals. But yeah there's so much out there that ofcourse they can't book every good new band. I just thought of another well regarded band who hasn't played there who might fit in and that would be Anathema.
    That's what I said in the first place - that I haven't been to Rosfest. I know more or less who has played there and I know that people like what they see and hear there so it should be good.
    If we speak about the festivals/cruises in general, on something like CTTE most of the bands are the old guard and I would really like there to be some more neo-prog outfits from Europe, maybe Moonrise, Satellite or Barock Project, smth like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I like PB's early stuff but will still give this a listen.
    Their first singer is now in a traditional country-rock band. I've seen some vids and heard some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey JoJo View Post
    Ronny Munroe didn't sing on the latest album 'Relic of the Modern World', it was a guy named Chuck Campbell who was pretty solid and the album was very good.
    I know about Munroe and Campbell. Munroe was on "Invisible Places" and " Love What You've Done With the Place" - the third and fourth albums respectively. There was a lot of discussion on one of the previous threads about PB's albums and their singers.
    I disagree that the previous album with Campbell was very good. The singing was alright and I think he is a better fit than Munroe, but Scott Albright is by far the best vocalist that they had. But that's not the main point - the problem that I have with "Relic" is the writing. I felt that it was an album where they started to repeat themselves, almost as if they ran out of ideas. Sometimes it felt as a lesser version of "Lost Art Of Time Travel" - some similar sounds but really lacking in camparison to the album. It's alright but the first two albums are far far better.

I'm not sure if this is the album they had announced 4 years ago, but a new album is on the way, entitled The Days Between and is scheduled to be released December 14th. I think this their first album since 2012. I have only heard their debut which I thought was great, so obviously I need to do some catching up. Which album should I check out next?

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the album they had announced 4 years ago, but a new album is on the way, entitled The Days Between and is scheduled to be released December 14th. I think this their first album since 2012. I have only heard their debut which I thought was great, so obviously I need to do some catching up. Which album should I check out next?
    The Lost Art of Time Travel is on the level of their first album. Same singer, same quality songwriting, a lot of great, catchy tunes. Besides the prog/hard rock epics, "You're Alive" is a sweet, simple "Your Move"-type number which I've always enjoyed. Definitely go for that.

Their later works aren't bad, and have a lot of solid music in them, but the new singers don't have the same vibe. But they're still worth getting after Lost Art.

I'm looking forward to this, as I said four years ago... I miss these guys and should give their albums another spin.

Interesting. I absolutely love the song "Find The Time" from Peace Among The Ruins.

Forgot all about these guys. I had their album The Lost Art Of Time Travel and recall liking some of it -- but for some reason I sold it. I need to go back and re-listen, because I would probably still enjoy it.

Old man of prog
    Looking forward to this. I get confused about the singers. 2 of them I didn't like. One of them sounded like Chris Farlowe and the other like Dennis DeYoung but musically this "band" is always a treat. Can't believe the creative dude is from Metal Church lol.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Forgot all about these guys. .
    Me too, the first album is killer!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I went and had a listen again to all five albums. Two things stand out especially:

1) Kurdt Vanderhoof keeps guitar solos to a minimum, probably in an attempt to separate it from his metal work;
    2) The albums are full of wonderful Alex Lifeson-y big chords, played with heavy chorus. Sure, there's still a lot of riffage here and there, but those big chords give everything an epic quality.

The first two are definitely the best, though "Relic of the Modern World" has some solid moments as well, especially the coda to the title track.
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 11-27-2018 at 08:34 AM.