Thread: FEATURED CD - Quidam : Sny Aniolov

FEATURED CD - Quidam : Sny Aniolov

Per ProgArchives:
    'Quidam' was not only an excellent debut but also the opening gate to wide recognition for the band.In early 97' Quidam played live for the first time abroad (Holland), while a few months later Andy Latimer invited Emila Derkowska and Ewa Smarzynska to participate on the opening act of the Polish tour of Camel.The summer was also quite busy for the band, being part of the Proglive 97' line-up but unfortunately flutist Ewa Smarzynska quit shortly after to be replaced by Jacek Zasada.In February 98' Quidam return with their sophomore effort ''Sny aniolów'' (Rock- Serwis label), also released in an English version by Musea under the title ''Angel's dream''.

Quidam continue delivering some fantastic musicianship with this new album, atmospheric Neo/Symphonic Progressive Rock with numerous New Age/Folk touches and offered with the strongest production to be met, maybe a bit folkier than their debut.The album gives away a pleasant positive atmosphere all the way, hailed by the dreamy voice of Derkowska, the ethereal melodic guitar performance of Maciej Meller and the beautiful keyboards of Zbyszek Florek.The overall result is close to bands like SATELLITE, COLLAGE, MOSTLY AUTUMN and IONA.There is a strong amount of lovely flute breaks and intros among the pieces to offer a more bucolic taste accompanied by the modern approach the band takes on Progressive Rock, full of light symphonic instrumentals, vocal-based parts and series of sensitive guitar soloing.There is also space for some warm acoustic passages with a folky edge with Derkowska's clean chords really shining.Eventually ''Sny aniolów'' is characterized by the memorable tunes all over, the trully artistic performances and the almost trippy atmosphere of the compositions, all drawn with a high degree of melodic content.

If you run over these CD's, I would easily recommend the Polish version, though Musea Records made things easier by providing more recently a double-CD version of the release with both the Polish and English editions.Fascinating smooth Melodic Progressive Rock of great value and easily recommended.
    http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=636065

Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 10-03-2014 at 09:25 AM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Thanks for the YouTube clip.

I have and LOVE their first (Quidam) and third (Time Beneath the Sky).

This one definitely sounds softer, folkier.

I strongly recommend Time Beneath the Sky. Very harsh and lovely. Wait till you hear their version of Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter." Sounds like Pink Floyd doing Zep.

Not as good as their first, but still a pretty good album. Still have some nice memories of their Baja prog performance.

Liked them a lot when they were first released. Haven't listened to them in a long time.

Loved their performance at Bajaprog. They did a killer version of "Sweet Child in Time".

Might have to spin them soon!
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Even though I saw them at Rosfest and thought they were great I don't really know this band. Is this a good one to start with?

[They did a killer version of "Sweet Child in Time".]

Do you mean Guns N Roses "Sweet Child of Mine" or Deep Purple's "Child in time?"
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-03-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Love this one. So catchy and happy. Well, until the second half of it, when it suddenly sounds sad and serious. Love the singer's voice: strong and clear and expressive. The production overall is very crisp and clear. I should pick up the other two with this singer at some point. I remember liking the first quite a bit too, but I don't think I ever heard the third one.
    flute juice

I usually loathe your typical "neo" band, yet I have a soft spot for Quidam's debut. Overt pomp, yes, slickness to the fore - still somehow miraculously classy.

I never really warmed to their following roster, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [They did a killer version of "Sweet Child in Time".]

Do you mean Guns N Roses "Sweet Child of Mine" or Deep Purple's "Child in time?"

Horrible mistake on my part. Definitely Purple's "Child in Time"!

I probably would have walked out if they (or anyone else for that matter) did anything by GnR.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Love their first album. Its the only one I've heard with Emila Derkowska singing. Anyone know what happened to her?

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Horrible mistake on my part. Definitely Purple's "Child in Time"!

I probably would have walked out if they (or anyone else for that matter) did anything by GnR.
    Yes absolutely horrible mistake.

awesome band. Jazzy swinging drums and that guy on bass is amazing. I do prefer Revival and Alone though, heaps more edgier and agressive. Saiko didnt connect with me. Back to Time Beneath... that cover of No Quarter is really good, eh! very unusual take. Cant wait for the new one to come out at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    ... Emila Derkowska ... Anyone know what happened to her?
    Good question - I've always wondered. Great voice.
    Regards,

Duncan

The Googles found me this:
    http://rockarea.eu/news.php?readmore=9470

Google Translate seems to think it hints at a possible reunion with Emila and Quidam?
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post

Loved their performance at Bajaprog. They did a killer version of "Child in Time".

It's here.Great.