Thread: Centipede Septober Energy

Centipede Septober Energy

Listening to this for the first time right now. Intense, sort of like a free jazz/big band/orchestral kind of thing. And Bob Fripp produced too!

But the question remains: do I put this in the Soft Machine box, or the King Crimson box?

Put it in the Centipede box. (Ewww!)

Put it in the Keith Tippett box.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post

I don't have a Keith Tippett box. Yet. Though now that you mention it, the other recordings I have that Tippett is on, apart from the King Crimson stuff, is all in the Soft Machine box, so maybe that's where this belongs too.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Definately the Tippett box, and if the OP does not have one he should immediattely get "Dedicated to you" and "Keith Tippetts Arc" and build a box

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The closest Crimson gets to this are the jazzier parts of Lizard. Even then, Lizard comes across as pretty well structured in comparison. You can really get the sense of jazz being influenced by rock, in contrast to rock being influenced by jazz, when comparing the two. So definitely the Tippet box.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Definately the Tippett box, and if the OP does not have one he should immediattely get "Dedicated to you" and "Keith Tippetts Arc" and build a box
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I don't have a Keith Tippett box. Yet. Though now that you mention it, the other recordings I have that Tippett is on, apart from the King Crimson stuff, is all in the Soft Machine box, so maybe that's where this belongs too.
    Well, if you don't have a Tippett box , you can slide it between the Crimson and the Soft Machine box... Or better yet,, create an UK jazz box, if you like it.enough... Coz ople,nty of other stunning albums of that ilk (and better) are tio be found from London Jazz sczene stalwarts... and soon thatbox will fill itself quickly

====================

There are two of the four sides I find stunning, but the other twodon't do much for me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post

He should add "You Are There...I Am Here" to his Keith Tippett box.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I would add it to the too many people for it's own good box. Its a mess as I see it. Occasional good bits - but too much crazy.

Its a bit chaotic - but "Septober Energy - Part 3" is great !

In the early 70's the album was mentioned and reviewed in various Rock magazines that often promoted obscure artists. This was a common practice during that early period of King Crimson...so basically the word was out to Crimson fans that there was to be this album that included many ex-members and even current members of K.C. The album was sought out by Crimson fans and they discovered that members of Soft Machine were part of the project as well. I believe when Fripp was busy in the production box, Sinfield was designing the cover for Lizard. Historically , I am reminded of how magical this period was and when I heard the album upon it's release on RCA records, the overall affect it had on me was very impressionable. I thought it was music from a dark world. I payed little attention to the lyrics and focused more on the Avant-Garde approach which at age 15, I thought was connected to the underworld..Lol!

On part 2 of Septober Energy there is a strange sounding melody based off the tri-tone interval, (devil's interval), followed by a kind of marching beat on the snare drum. The melody is played with strings and horns, building up to a chaotic climax and this particular section of the record is very reminiscent of the early King Crimson. It's so very close to what K.C. would have actually written then..in mind and spirit. This album was designed to raise the dead. Just kidding...not really

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Listening to this for the first time right now. Intense, sort of like a free jazz/big band/orchestral kind of thing. And Bob Fripp produced too!
    If you like Centipede check out Jasun Martz's "The Pillory."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    If you like Centipede check out Jasun Martz's "The Pillory."
    I already have. In fact, I bought the double CD of The Pillory and The Battle at NEARfest several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, if you don't have a Tippett box , you can slide it between the Crimson and the Soft Machine box... Or better yet,, create an UK jazz box, if you like it.enough... Coz ople,nty of other stunning albums of that ilk (and better) are tio be found from London Jazz sczene stalwarts... and soon thatbox will fill itself quickly

====================

There are two of the four sides I find stunning, but the other twodon't do much for me.
    A uk jazz box is a great idea, place it near the south african jazz with Brotherhood of breath, Dedication Orchestra and all the other projects with Louis Moholo Moholo

By the way the Dedication Orchestra play a bit of Septober Energy stuff in their live show, was it ever played live in any other constellations?

Is reissue 2LP on Klimt Records (2013) legal?

Two very different covers

shsmeepzbx10128.jpg

Centipederb.jpg
    220px-Septober_Energy_2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Modry Effekt; 10-04-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, if you don't have a Tippett box , you can slide it between the Crimson and the Soft Machine box... Or better yet,, create an UK jazz box, if you like it.enough... Coz plenty of other stunning albums of that ilk (and better) are to be found from London Jazz scene stalwarts... and soon that box will fill itself quickly
    And this is the right answer.

This album is being reissued as a remastered 2-CD set: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...d-2cd-edition/

Released September 30, 2022.

• NEWLY REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL RCA TAPES, THE CLASSIC DOUBLE ALBUM FROM 1971 BY THE LEGENDARY ENSEMBLE CENTIPEDE. PRODUCED BY ROBERT FRIPP.

• FEATURING KEITH TIPPETT, JULIE TIPPETT, ROBERT WYATT, IAN McDONALD, ELTON DEAN, JOHN MARSHALL, BRIAN GODDING, ROY BABBINGTON, KARL JENKINS, IAN CARR, BRIAN BELSHAW, MIKE PATTO, ZOOT MONEY, MAGGIE NICHOLS AND MANY MORE.

• FULLY RESTORED ARTWORK WITH AN ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET AND ESSAY BY SID SMITH.

Centipedes.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    This album is being reissued as a remastered 2-CD set: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...d-2cd-edition/

Released September 30, 2022.

• NEWLY REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL RCA TAPES, THE CLASSIC DOUBLE ALBUM FROM 1971 BY THE LEGENDARY ENSEMBLE CENTIPEDE. PRODUCED BY ROBERT FRIPP.

• FEATURING KEITH TIPPETT, JULIE TIPPETT, ROBERT WYATT, IAN McDONALD, ELTON DEAN, JOHN MARSHALL, BRIAN GODDING, ROY BABBINGTON, KARL JENKINS, IAN CARR, BRIAN BELSHAW, MIKE PATTO, ZOOT MONEY, MAGGIE NICHOLS AND MANY MORE.

• FULLY RESTORED ARTWORK WITH AN ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET AND ESSAY BY SID SMITH.
    INDEED!!! The was the release that interested me the most when reading Sid Smith's Crim bio. Discogs prices scared me away, so Esoteric to the rescue, thankfully.
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

The short answer regarding this new Esoteric edition is that it is a decent sonic upgrade from the older CD versions, but whether it's entirely necessary for someone who already has it is ultimately up to them, of course. I think the main market for this will be newcomers. Either way, it's no-frills and reasonably priced.

The long answer regarding this new Esoteric edition is in my review:

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/cent...-red-esoteric/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I found an original vinyl edition of this in a small record shop in a remote town in Devon last year and snapped it up! I already have a CD (I can't remember who issued it, might be BGO). I really like it, it's a bit mad in places. Great for annoying the kids on the school run (When they've annoyed me.) who don't seem to appreciate mad free jazz like this (You want to hear their response when I treat them to the Art Ensemble of Chicago!).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Gets a mention in this documentary series, a 3-parter, in part 2 about 3/4 of the way in if memory serves.
    This is part 1:

I have to admit I fast-forwarded quite a bit during part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I have to admit I fast-forwarded quite a bit during part 3.
    And even then, I was still yawning during this first episode. Started pauyng attention with Tubby & Harriott throughout episode 1, but my real interest doesn't start until episode 2

I kind of found somewhat disappointing (nt even a mention of Nucleus, Isotope andstuff . Surprised because they start out with a mention of Soft Machine

Will watch episode 3 tomorrow

I found this episode a pleasant surprise (I didn't know quite a bit), but they totally missed out on the Manchester (Gondwana) and the LDN scene. Don't know when this BBC series was made, though.
    Last edited by Trane; 08-28-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.